• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you name your electronics?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I was just curious to see if anyone else does this. I do it, but I haven't really done it a lot, not like I used to as a child or whatever. My cellphone's name is Pinkie Pie though because it's pink. I also named my iPad Izaya and my nano Kuro as well. I don't have names for my 3DSes though. I can never think of any for them. :/ I just do it because it's kind of fun. It makes me feel as if they are something very important to me.

So, what about you? Is there any reason behind the names you gave your electronics if you do? What are some of the names you've given them?

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    I've discovered I'm the only one in my group of friends that names their electronics... Which is sad, because they're such a huge part of everyone's life :(

I affectionately refer to my laptop as craptop when she's acting up (she's super old and I've put her through hell), but the actual name is lappy468 or just lappy. Every mobile Nintendo console I own is a GameBoy. I've had every single iteration since the first GameBoy, so they are all GameBoys. If I'm talking to younger kids I'll actually call it a N3DSXL, but for every other nerd it's just a GameBoy. I haven't named my phone... I've had this one for too long, so I doubt I'll be able to name it before I get a new one.

Not an electronic, but I do call my car baby girl. Sometimes it doesn't like to run properly, so I have to coax her. Thus, "come on, baby girl, I'm gonna be late for work."

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    The only thing I bother to name is my phone, which is usually named Arkhangelsk for no reason other than it being a place in Russia with a name I rather like. Whenever I connect it to iTunes, 'Syncing to Arkhangelsk' is always a pretty thing to read. Otherwise I don't care at all.

Years
    I never name my electronics. I find it absolutely stupid and I already know what my gadgets are so they don't need names.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    When I got my laptop it asked to give it a name, giving some stupid example as "Family ... home laptop". I found that disrespectful as a name, so I named it Percy. Besides my laptop, my calculator Gary is my only named electronics.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    My C2Q Gateway here is called Tyre, and my daily driver laptop is called Waset. My past two netbooks were Iunet I and II, and my remote server is called Dunqul.

I name my PCs after ancient Egyptian words and phrases, because of the unique sound their language presents to my ears. I have both planned and in-progress builds named Henen-nesw, Pwenet, Itjtawy, and (eventually) Hetepsenusret. Egypt ftw!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    All the PCs are named after Pokémon. The laptop I'm typing on is named Noivern! And I plan to name my future desktop Rayquaza.

Years
    My laptop's name is Fennekin, my Windows tablet's name is Serperior, my phone's name is Delphox, and once upon a time, my desktop's name was Snivy.

Of course I name my devices. :)

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
    Naming your devices? What? NO!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Naming your devices? What? NO!

Do you like "USER-PC" and similarly generic names? I sure don't. Sometimes it's a good idea to just give everything a name so that you don't get a mess when local networking is involved later on. :)

Years
    Do you like "USER-PC" and similarly generic names? I sure don't. Sometimes it's a good idea to just give everything a name so that you don't get a mess when local networking is involved later on. :)
    Ah yep, that's why I initially named my devices, because of networking. Although nowadays, I tend to use a device's IP when I need to network locally with them (most of mine have static IPs set in them), but the names are simply for fun too. :)

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years

More like GAME-PC or MEDIA-PC but definitely not extraordinary names.

Years
    I can barely think of names in general for things; my electronic devices are definitely not one of the things I usually try to spend time and energy on naming, ah ha. So basically it's all just "my phone", "the 3DS", "the tablet".

Though to be fair I was tempted to give my desktop a cool name. But again, I suck at coming up with names, so in the interest of not sitting there for the longest while trying to come up with one, I just ended up putting my name on it, like I normally do with my computers.

nightsmith97

Know Thyself
    Years
    Yes, I ALWAYS name my electronics! They are most often named after Greek mythological figures, because that's just the theme I wound up with! :)

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    Sometimes I name my electronics. The few I can recall off the top of my head is 'Stark' for my second PS3, 'Dixieland' for the tablet, 'Fantomex' for my previous laptop and 'Showstopper' for my current laptop. I do the same with user accounts that aren't used for professional purposes, naming some user accounts on previous Windows and Linux machines as 'Spyro', 'Tundraga' and 'Stendhal' respectively. I choose random names because I find my own name to be quite boring and generic.

Back