• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your pokemon?

Skyon

9-Year Veteran
    Years
    I used to think it was stupid to nickname them, but now I like it; I think it's exclusively yours, kind of like your special mark, and when you trade your pokemon to someone that name will stick. Here's mine:

Dialga - Metalya (Naming it after the Steel type in it)
    Palkia - Auroran (Naming it after the watery-ish-ness)
    Gengar (F) - Ectoria (Like Ectoplasm and Victoria mixed)
    Venusaur - Griagan
    Vaporeon - Tidus (Pronouced like "Tide")
    Jolteon - Silas
    Flareon - Midas
    Espeon - Reylas
    Umbreon - Shamis (From Shaman)
    Leafeon - Elias
    Glaceon - Judas
    Golem - Kabash (From DKC)
    Magnezone - Ghor-X (From Metroid Prime 3)
    Froslass - Shiva (Final Fantasy X)
    Glalie (F) - Glacia
    Gallade - Ikalos (One of my own characters)
    Gardevoir - Ilayla (Trying to kind of equate names)
    Flygon - Salabooru
    Charizard - Grachus (From Gladiator)
    Rhyperior - Zar (A deadly stone in my novel)
    Tyrannitar - Rocklyr
    Sandslash - Kalibronx (A character in my book)
    Mewtwo - Scion
    Mew - Seraphim
    Kyogre - Xeruss
    Darkrai - Ripsik
    Honchkrow - Lucious (From Gladiator.... I think I mispelled it)
    Luxray (F) - Elektra (That's original huh?.........LOL)
    Lucario - Kyar (The main hero in my novel)
    Salamence - Drakeon (Legendary name in my novel) (Always used it for dragons)
    Blastoise - Aquatus
    Arceus - Aralia

So there you have it...

What have some of you guys named you pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    I've only ever done this once. I nicknamed my Turtwig,Turtie.XD I don't give names to my Pokemon since i normally always end up prefering they're default names over the ones i gave them. Plus i've seen people give they're Pokemon some creepy names on Wi-Fi. Good examples are "Rapist" and "Butt-head". @.@;

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I nickname every single Pokemon I ever captured, by either given them there original Japanese names, or givening them a name of what they look like and translate it into Japanese

:t354:TG

Years
    I think there's already a thread like this...

some of my nicknames... *always nickname my Pokemon*

Bulbasaur(m)- Vines
    Squrtle(f)- Angela *it fit until she evolved into Blastoise*
    Charmander(m)- Flame
    Chimchar(m)- Inferno *it was even better once he evolved*
    Turtwig(f)- Terra
    Piplup(f)- Amy
    Cyndaquil(m)- Pyro
    Totodile(f)- Allie *the best part is that I forgot she was even an alligator*
    Chikorita(f)- Megan
    Torchic(f)- Sadie
    Mudkip(f)- Shelly
    Treeko(m)- Forest
    Flareon(m)- Flare
    Vaporeon(m)- Bubblez *yes, with a "Z"*
    Jolteon(m)- Sparx *I prefer "X" to "KS" here*
    Espeon(f)- Sunset
    Umbreon(m)- Shadow
    Leafeon(f)- Tulip
    Glaceon(f)- Snowflake

just a few, may post more later. *yes, I know I'm a tad unoriginal*

Years
    My More Random Nicknames From Long Ago...

Zigzagoon(m)- Pizza
    Mudkip(m)- Cheez-it
    Poocyenna(f)- Cherry Pie

there were others from that random nickname phase that I can't remember.

Iceman3k

Kickin' it Tribal GO Style
    Years
    I only nickname the ones I use for Combat (basically anything I EV Train).
    Except I use obscene and controversal names on some of them, and most of them just basic nicknames.

Prime example would be :horns:, which is what I named my Mamoswine.

bluechu

World's Only Blue Pikachu!
    Years
    i like nicknaming every pokemon i capture! ^-^ 1. cause its fun! 2. it makes it funnier when i trade it to someone over the GTS! and 3. it gives them personality.

some of them are completely random, based off of something happening when i catch them, while others are given certain nicknames cause they are awsome!

take my starter in Diamond, Infernape for example. his sweet name in Efreet!

geckoriot

THE MIGH'Y POOCH
    Years
    My Mightyena is my pride and joy but she has the most ridiculous, unoriginal nickname one could possibly conceive. POOCHY.
    Unfortunately I traded her off Emerald and into Diamond so it's too late to change it ;) oh well. You live and learn, eh
    My Pokemon generally suffer with terribly lame nicknames, like my Torterra "Fern" or Aerodactyl "Aerodynami" *shudder*. I have an inexplicable preoccupation of naming all of my Growlithes/Arcanines (across multiple gens) either "Ace" or "Rudofer".

My favourite, and by far the most tolerable, of all my nicknames, proudly belongs to my Dragonite "Wurlitzer".

Ariel

tsugi no mai, hakuren.
    Years
    I once called a Sceptile "Yggdrassil" after the famous tree in Norse Mythology.
    Once had a Gyarados called "RAGEY"...but that was ages ago on my old Blue file - also wasn't mine. It was traded. Also on that file, I had a blastoise called "Shelshoker" named after the Blastoise in the First Movie. >_<
    On my Diamond file, I have a blastoise named Bahamut. After the Eidolon in FF IX. =]

I generally don't nickname Pokemon, I prefer their normal names.

Years
    I nickname Pokemon I plan to use in my team or which are special to me in some way. I'd never trade them away though.

A lot of my Pokemon's nicknames are based on their japanese names, for example Lizzy for my Charizard, some names are just random.

Stefan - Empoleon
    Irmi - Bidoof
    Kiki - Luxray
    Jimmy - Togekiss

There are a lot more but just too many to list.

west

One winged angel
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    i always name my starter zero for some reason....lol

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
    I nickname my Pokemon all the time. Even when I can't think of a good name. Like a Miltank I named Milky. Lol, yeah. I'm going to start nicknaming my Pokemon with more realistic names. I have a female Gulpin named after someone at my school. These are just names I remember off the top of my head.

Manaphy -- Zelda (Named after my Ranger file)
    Mew -- Kitten, once I get one that can be nicknamed.
    Roserade -- Leaf Ninja (NOT related to Naruto in any way. So don't even start.)
    Empoleon -- Aqua Bird (Yeah, unoriginal)
    Infernape -- Flare (Requested before I recieved it in a trade)
    Vespiquen -- Honey Buggy (The person who got that must hate me lol)
    Weavile -- Dark Ice (That person must hate me too)

Once the next games are out, all nicknames will be something like a human name. And the most unoriginal name out there shall be a Froslass. You know what I'll name it? Yuki. After the legend its derived from.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2008
    I don't, but I'm going to start. I used to think it was weird, but things change, ya know?

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
    Years
    Depends.
    Sometimes, when I capture a pokemon, something just pops into my head: "Hey, why don't I name this pokemon I just caught ________!" Usually, I come up with pretty decent names... Other times, I just can't think of a good one, and I just send the pokemon to the PC without a nickname. That's why some of my pokemon have nicknames, but most don't.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    Sometimes I nickname my Pokemon after my dog: Keiko...I think I've done that like...twice. I rarely nickname my Pokemon...I might start though. xD Usually I'm don't want to take the time to type it out.

Back