• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almost Me

WHEEEEEEEEE
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    I usually name my 'mons, mostly after stuff from Magic the Gathering.But sometimes I name them other stuff. Like Sheen the excadrill, after Charlie sheen and the fact that it's a steel-type and metal usually has a sheen.

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
    Years
    Always. I try to pick witty and thought-provoking nicknames. I'm building a team right now with Hiero the Sigilyph (Hieroglyphics, both symbols and hip hop group), Laozi the Whiscash (named after the founder of Daoism), Winnfield the Bouffalant (Jules Winnfield of Pulp Fiction), Naja the Arbok (Naja is the genus for cobras), Hel the Froslass (Hel is the female ruler of the frozen underworld of Norse mythology), and Wheatley the Magneton (named after Wheatley from Portal 2 =P). To me, Pokemon is a game of creativity, with nicknaming being one of the many outlets for this attribute. It brings personality into a game that sometimes feels like tireless labor and number-crunching.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
    Years
    I've never been one to name Pokemon since I can never think of anything creative.

Lately I've been thinking about starting to name my Pokemon, though. But I don't want to name them with cliche names like Sparky (lol, how many of us named our Yellow Pikachu that? :P )

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I tend to nickname my Pokémon, not right after capture, though. I do the naming as an afterthought, giving me more time to name stuff - and also allows me to do stuff before the naming part.

Years
    I HAVE to nickname my Pokemon. Otherwise, my team wouldn't feel special in any way. Besides, I love coming up with witty names like Glee for Togekiss, S.S. Opera for Lapras, Ramageddon for Rampardos, Pinestone for Tyranitar, ahh... the list goes on. :>

Years
    Only ones I ever really nickname are my Legendaries and my starter. My Serperior is currently named Apophis after the egyptian serpent of the underworld. and the stargate character :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2011
    I don't really nickname my pokemon cause i can never think of a good one. Except my totodile though, I name all my totodiles toto lol. xD

I've never been one to name Pokemon since I can never think of anything creative.

Lately I've been thinking about starting to name my Pokemon, though. But I don't want to name them with cliche names like Sparky (lol, how many of us named our Yellow Pikachu that? :P )

Lol, i remember calling my pikachu sparky too in my old leaf green. xD

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I normally name my pokémon with whatever I come up with.

Venusaur - Frenzy
    Meganium - Venus
    Sceptile - Kengo
    Torterra - Terra (Actually, Terra III since I gave the same name to his grandfather then did the same to his father.)
    Serperior - Imperial

Charizard - Mustang
    Typhlosion - Explotaro
    Blaziken - Ignition
    Infernape - Sun Wukong (Journey to the West character)
    Emboar - Zhu Bajie (Journey to the West character)

I tend to name water starters after things which relate to oceans.
    Blastoise - Pacific
    Feraligatr - Atlantic
    Swampert - Oceanic
    Empoleon - Antarctic
    Samurott - Mizu (Japanese word for water)

Zoroark - Phantom (Phantomhive was too big unfortunatly.)
    Volcarona - Sun Vulcan
    Dragonite - Ryuu
    Tyranitar - Beserker
    Salamence - Azure
    Metagross - Ironhide
    Garchomp - Ryusame (Dragon Shark in Japanese)
    Hydreigon - Ghidora (King Ghidora was too big)

Soraine

(*゚.゚)
    Years
    No, I never have. Not as of yet anyway.

I only have one named Pokemon which is the Onix which is traded for Bellsprout in Soulsilver. Rocky was such a bad name choice >_<

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Nah, I never have except when I was playing a Nuzlocke challenge once. I just never think of good names and end up changing them every few minutes. That and it gets pretty confusing too. =/

That said, however, it's quite a nice idea. I might try it in my next playthrough.

Locket

nothin' but a latiarse.
    Years
    tehe. at least i'm not the only one. i remember my charizad was called blaze. most original name ever don't you think!?
    at the moment my two favourite nicknames are;
    Jellicent - Pringles (couldn't resist!)
    Mienshao - Delilah (i always start singing 'hey there delilah' whenever she comes out:L)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I typically don't, but I started in B/W simply because I loved the idea of an Emboar nicknamed "Ganon" and an Amoonguss nicknamed "Shrooom!"...both references to other Nintendo games I quite enjoy...one much more subtle than the other. XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    I nickname all my Pokemon except HM Slaves and Legendaries. I believe Legendaries should retain their names, and slaves are undeserving of nicknames :P

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I nickname all Pokemon on my main team. I don't bother nicknaming Pokemon I might not use at all, since they will just sit in my PC.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    If I didn't nickname my Pokemon, I wouldn't remember them as well. Nicknames made some of my Pokemon more memorable, such as Batman, my Gliscor, and Phalloides, my Breloom. Nicknaming gives my Pokemon more personality.

Years
    I never used to nickname my Pokémon because of my obsession with the names having to look the same - capitalised. I do nickname my Pokémon in B/W, though, because of the fact that the names aren't all in capitals, which I love.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back