• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Nickname your Pokemon?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Do you nickname your Pokemon? I tend to go by a nicknaming theme, so yes, lmfao, I nickname most of my Pokemon, unless I won't ever use it.

Years
  • Aside from legendary Pokemon, I nickname every Pokemon that I catch and plan to use (and even some that I don't). I wouldn't name my dog 'Dog' or my hamster 'Hamster', so why should my Pikachu's name be 'Pikachu'?

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • I definitely do, at least the ones I'm going to use in my team. Though when I got my first Pokemon game that was Omega Ruby, I also kept naming pokemon that I wasn't going to use. Back then I also tried to give them names that feel fancy (though those were mostly words in other languages and such), while nowadays I feel like I give more "ordinary" names.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • I didn't use to name my Pokémon back then, but then I've developed a liking for it and now I rarely ever have a Sandile named Sandile

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • yep, nicknames are fun when creative for sure
    I mostly nickname all the Pokemon that are in my team
    many times I'll nickname based on their species

some of my current nicknames
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I used to do this every now and again, but unfortunately, I'm not very creative with Pokemon nicknames, so I've stopped. Doesn't help that I'm super picky on names to begin with, so I'd spent an eternity just to figure out what to name one of them. ._.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I never used to, I always thought it was a little silly and kinda pointless. But now I've grown to really enjoy naming my Pokemon! I like coming up with names that suit their personalities (or are just super cute!), especially if they're special or significant in some way (great IVs / shiny / first caught / etc).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i have always and will always name my pokemon. i've always been that bitch.

Years
  • I've never nicknamed my Pokémon unfortunately, even though there's a part of me that would really like to! Every time I plan to do a "nickname run," I worry I won't be able to think of fun nicknames for all of them, and decide against it.

Sudonim

Doing things that are completely unnecessary
    Years
  • I've made it a personal rule that every Pokémon I catch must be nicknamed, though I try to think about what to nickname said Pokémon as little as possible and just name them the first thing that pops into my head, no matter how stupid it is, which usually results in at least one of my Pokémon being named after a deadly disease.

Years
  • i usually nickname pokemon that i like and want to use on my team! i just name them whatever the first thing to come to mind is! if i can't think of anything, though, i just don't nickname them. it's kinda hard to decide on that "perfect" name sometimes for a pokemon i really like, so sometimes their default name is the best option for me haha

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I never used to but now my bred pokemon I always name. I dont bother with my throwaway teams when playing the story but any im keeping I name. Legendaries I generally leave with the default name although I called my Sun/Moon legends Nebby because yeah...

Last edited:

Nekodatta

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
    Years
  • I always nickname everything except for legendaries (it feels.... disrespectful to nickname what's basically a god/force of nature lol) and random Pokedex fodder.
    Coming up with nicknames is actually one of my favourite things to do.

Years
  • I haven't used nicknames until my first Nuzlocke. But I nickname all my Pokémon since then. I usually go with names of my friends in regular playthrough and choose one random theme for other runs.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I can count on one hand the amount of times I've nicknamed my Pokemon. I just never know what to name them.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Sometimes I do, when doing a challenge or maybe when I really feel like to. If it's a new game I usually don't because I want to memorize all the new mons names.

Back