• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname?

Nillemi

Under my Rock
Years
  • I like to nickname pokemon I use, And I just give them a name I feel like would work.
    My Talonflame's nickname is Tammy.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I never liked nicknaming my Pokemon, but the more I played, the more I preferred having good nicknames. The only times I don't nickname my Pokemon is because I haven't found a suitable nickname for them yet :P

Sirfetch’d

I do! I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke with Tom(Ravio) and my nickname theme is based on League of Legends champions. Other times I usually just name them after my friends here, TWD characters, or other various people that appear in shows etc. :D

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I give nicknames to all of my main party members. Depending on the game, any Pokemon that hatches could also receive a nickname. Any Pokemon I really want or find cute generally gets a nickname. It would be easier to list the Pokemon I don't give a nickname to!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I always nickname all my Pokemon, even the ones I'm trading. It makes them unique instead of the "same old boring Pokemon's name" - before I start a game, I'm always ready with nicknames based on their real-life animal it's based on and it's gender.

I usually name them after name of characters of various movies and tv shows I like.

On the rare times I forget to nickname a Pokemon, I will usually release it right away.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • I usually nickname my Pokemon, and it's usually pretty random. Maybe it's something I think the Pokemon looks like or maybe I just think of a cool name that I like and think fits. (My Gallade called Xeno.) I did go on a Name Rater spree awhile back to name all un-nicknamed Pokemon and my sister helped with that one, it ended up being pretty funny. (My Mr. Mime is now called Sickly Joe.)

AshtheIVth

I want Kingdom Hearts 3 now!!
    Years
  • I've liked the idea of nicknaming, but like so many others i dont, since i will grow tired of seeing it after awhile, and upon wanting to change it, half the time i dont remember where the name rater is to change it lol. Plus i like learning the pkmn's actual name. That being said, if i have a pkmn that means a lot to me, i will nickname it still, had a Meganium in Silver (GBC) that barely pulled out the win the first time against the elite four after my other pkmn fainted, so i named him after that....special moments.... :'-) (happy tears) lol

Years
  • From the 3rd generation on, I've always nicknamed my Pokemon, with the exception of legendaries. The nicknames I've chosen have mostly been at random, and are usually an anagram of their original name, a slight corruption of their original name, or their name in another language.

Twice now I've gone with themes while nicknaming Pokemon though, with the first being in White (where I named Pokemon after NHL cities or team names). Currently in Pokemon Y, I'm naming Pokemon after celestial bodies in the Solar System, while trying to make them have some sort of connection to the original name (for example, I named my Blastoise 'Triton', which is one of the Neptunian moons, and was one of the Greek gods of the sea).

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I don't nickname my Pokemon. I like the Pokemon names as they are, even uncreative ones like Kadabra or Electrode.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • I am nickanaming, from like 4th gen, i thought it'll give me a stronger bond with my pokemon (nuzlocke much?...) I nickname by feel, trying to keep it clever or awesome as i can, n=but sometimes i just call them George. That's my "People name" for pokemon. I have a female Abomasnow named George, which made a lot of people confused.

I was doing an egglocke and got an egg called "Magicrap" and i'm like "Damn why?" Hatched it-Zuroa. Sometimes people just like to **** with your mind i guess.

Years
  • I name my main party members after foods, usually. Though my Meowstics were named Jon and Jan after my boyfriend and myself, heheh. Anything I don't plan to use on my team is usually left as-is though. :) My Mienshao is named Brownie, Cinccino Vanilla, Raichu Lemon, and other things!

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I always nickname my team, and the Pokemon that I use for stuff other than battling too, like those with HMs, False Swipers, Cute Charmers, etc. It's usually random names, that have a subtle meaning too. Like Fournier the Talonflame, it's a motor glider, fitting for him as a Flying-type, and it's also a common French surname that means "baker", suitable for his Fire typing. I kinda went for French names on my X, so others are Miette the Greninja (also means "pearl"), Chantilly the Lapras (like the cream and castle), Armand and Marguerite the pair of Meowstic (characters in a Dumas novel), Baudelaire the Malamar (French poet), Marengo the Dragalge (Napoleon's horse). Aaaaaand lots more!

My most recent nicknames are for a competitive team I'm breeding right now. My theme is brands of foods and drinks, that also make sense for their appearance. Like Heinz the shiny Helioptile, because he looks like he's been drenched in ketchup; Pringles the Floatzel, because his tube thingy looks like a pringle; Pepsi the Toxicroak, because he looks like the pepsi logo and is a Poison-type {XD}

Fayriee

This is the first generation that I've actually nicknamed my Pokemon. I think I'm going to continue the tradition too, because I actually really enjoyed doing it! :) Since it's Kalos, I tried to keep all of my Pokemon French-themed and I surprised myself with how much I liked how they all turned out. Highlights include; L'esprit the Meowstic, Chéri the Sylveon, and Crème the Goodra. :')

Back