• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you pick your Pokemon on your team because of design, or battle prowess?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    In game, I usually try to complete a playthrough real quickly so I think I almost always stick with whatever original six Pokemon I catch. X & Y's Exp. Share is so notorious though that I have a level 76 Bibarel and level 72 Talonflame which are only used as HM Slaves.

For competitive use, I always try to keep up with the metagame what with me being a VGC Player and pretty much using anything not immediately viable is almost always strictly for testing purposes. For fun purposes though, there's always Dark Void Smeargle ;p

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    A little bit of both. I won't use Pokémon I think are hideous--I refuse to even catch Bidoof until it's the last Pokémon I need for my Pokédex--but I won't use weak Pokémon either. ...Not for long at least. Generally speaking, I'll start out each playthrough using Pokémon I like, and then when they start to lag in battle or become a hindrance, I switch them out for something else.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I choose Pokemon based on both design and battle viability/strategy. I like Pokemon that look cool and can hold their own in battle.

Years
    Design all the way. I just go with the ones I like the most. I balance out my team with their types and try to make them the best they can be but I just love playing with pokemon I love.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    There's usually an emphasis to design. Even in a competitive place, I'll sometimes choose one pokemon over the other even if its worse for my strategy if I like the pokemon more.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
    Design is more important than stats for me- if I don't like how something looks, I'll pass on using it. If its stats are terrible but design is nice, it'll depend on whether or not I'm feeling masochistic enough to use it actively. Sometimes I'll make do, sometimes I'll find something else.

Mind you that in the main game, stats aren't completely crucial- you can complete that with pretty much anything.

Trainer VyNk

Cursed Hemophillic.
    Years
    No, my main Reason of catching different pokemon was Types,

I always carry all major types excluding some-:
    1. Water
    2. Ground
    3. Electric
    4. Flying
    5. Fire
    6. Grass

I don't go for Design that much, but I prefer Raichu rather than Manetric.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Pokemon I pick are based on how they look and then how strong they are. Usually the cooler ones are the stronger ones.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
    I usually go for a mixture of both. That's what Hydreigon is to me (about my 3rd favourite Pokemon), it's got both an awesome design, and great battling strength. Most of the Pokemon I like have great design, and great looks, too.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I take my favorite designed Pokemon and train them to their fullest potential. I tend to avoid overpowered/broken Pokemon like Aegislash and Rotom-W in favor of my favorites such as Mantine and Sandslash (I've used them both successfully in OU, suck it!)

I just generally try to use original teams rather than the same thing you see in every battle ever. It makes things less boring and shows that I'm a skilled trainer to be able to use low-tier mons.

Of course, there are some very powerful/high-tier Pokemon I also like design-wise, such as Togekiss, Espeon, Excadrill, and more.

Back