• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you plan out your team before you set off on your adventure?

Crin

Life is all about choices
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    Hey guys and gals, Do you plan out your team before you set off on your adventure?
    I personally plan out my team when I do mono-type challenges, but other than that I don't

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I usually do start the adventure with a fully planned team in mind but I'll almost always end up swapping half of them out by the time I've finished the game. I get impatient and waiting is boring :(

Years
    I usually plan out my team before I set out, it's good because I don't usually have too many Pokemon for the first half of the game then get my final Pokemon at/after the last gym.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    Yes & No for me, I usually have an idea of what Pok?mon I want to get for sure, which takes up about 2-3 slots on my team, and then the rest is by chance and I usually change it up :3

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    I tend to have an idea of one or two I haven't used before or haven't used for a while that I'm going to use this time, but I never fully plan. On the one or two occasions I have, I just ended up changing my mind anyway and randomly using something else I find in the wild! When a new game comes out I plan a bit more than with a playthrough (usually looking through the new pokemon and their movesets) but they're also more susceptible to changes as there are so many new pokemon to try out and I'll end up facing some in game trainer and just decide their pokemon is cool and I need it for myself :P

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Not really. I usually get as far as what's in the first couple of grass patches before I start picking by impulse. When it comes to challenges like the Monotype I usually don't have a choice what is on my team xD There are so few Pokemon to choose from in the early going. I may switch one out in the ladder part of the game, but again, by impulse ;)

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
    Every new game is a fresh, new, relaxed experience for me, so as of late my mindset is catching and using what I like. :) If I ever go back and do some sort of a challenge run or something, I may plan something like that, like a monotype run or just a run of solely 6 certain Pok?mon from start to finish. In the case of Sun/Moon, I already plan to at least catch and use some Pok?mon that I've found interest in (Salandit, Rockruff, Vikavolt, etc.) whenever I get them in the game.

I've lately contemplated starting new games with one or two unique Pok?mon/Pok?mon unobtainable normally in that game as a sort of "partner" Pok?mon to always keep with me. Unsure if I'm going to do that for SM, but who knows.

Years
    For my 5th and 6th Gen games I did sorta plan my teams ahead, notably in X/Y since I wanted to use a Fairy-type to see how the type performs well in the main story. Others mainly consisted of faves, and will likely be the same approach I go for with 7th Gen but maybe trying out only new Pokemon for once.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I don't. I decide which starter I want and that's about it. There will always be a Pok?mon that I really like and hope to use on my team, but there's no guarantee I'll be able to find it on my journey (case-in-point: I really wanted to use Dedenne in my playthough of X, but even after searching for 30 minutes I couldn't find one). So my team usually ends up being a combination of what I can find and what I like. It's nice this way, too, because you end up using some Pok?mon that you may not have thought to use, which may make you grow more attached to them (for instance, using Emolga on my team in Black--because I had found one by chance--made me love it when I originally didn't care for it).

Midi

Charming Ghost~
    Years
    Nope. I make my team as I go along the story, only changing when the situation calls for it. The only consistency with my team in each game is basically: Can I catch Ralts or Litwick? If so, they're on the team.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Planning is half the fun. It gives you something to work towards to. Makes it a lot more satisfying, than just playing by the old formula. It's easy to just catch everything and cluster your team with dedicated HM slaves, but it means a lot more, if every Pokemon on the team actually contributes to the whole story, by taking a bit of the "pain" that is HM usage. 3 Slots are more than enough to beat the game, anyway, ignoring the fact, that some HMs are actually quite good moves, as well.

Then again, I also like to make the games a little bit more challenging. And I don't mean an RNG infested mess *cough* Nuzlocke *cough*, but an enjoyable ride with a little bit of strategy.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Most of the time, yeah.

I never intend to but then when it actually comes to starting the game, I like to make sure I'll have good type coverage and see what Pokemon are available at certain points in the game.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Yep i definitely do. I simply want to make sure that I get the team of creatures that I would love to walk around with, and not worry about other mons other than catching them, and of course boxing them. I like to have a well decorated Hall of Fame team.

And as an experienced monotype runner, I always pre-plan who are the best possible mons for the particular monotype I run. Grass monos were kind of a pain in Kanto and Johto but Hoenn was quite fine and dandy.

Speaking of the future, I think I've set on 3 other creatures that will accompany the Murder Kitty (Litten) soon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Only really with the first game of a generation.

and even then I'd say only 4-5 of my choices make it onto my final team. Sometimes a Pokemon will make it on to my team out of convenience more than anything else. (an example being, I added a Timbur to my team in White that I hadn't planned for, but I liked her enough to keep her around for the rest of the game)

Years
    Not really... I usually have a plan of what types I want in my team, but usually I'll just go with the ones that I'll run into in the game. I might have an idea of a certain pokemon I want in my team, but I don't have a plan for all 6. Also the team tends to change as I run into new pokemons.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I always do plan a good team whenever I begin my journey and finding the right combo so to avoid other hassle on the way

Back