• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you play an instrument?

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Let's gather PC's musically creative! Do you guys play an instrument? Maybe several? How long have you been playing? Do you play with a group of people in a band or orchestra?

I myself play guitar and have been playing for maybe 6 years now. I used to play Piano but I've lost my knowledge of it and can barely play anything on it anymore haha, unfortunately. And I do play in a band but thanks to school we're forced to become a summer-band. Hopefully I'll be able to find people to play with where I'm studying now.

So who else plays music! And maybe write your influences on who got you started on that instrument! A friend, parent, famous musician?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • YO. I play tenor saxophone. :) I used to play clarinet also. It was my starting instrument. And I can play bass clarinet. I played clarinet for three years, and I've played tenor for umm...this is my 6th year playing it, actually. :D I love it. Bass clarinet I only played for jazz band one year (yeah don't ask) and then for two symphonic seasons two years in a row. I enjoyed it.

What inspired me...

I've always loved the saxophone because of this! And I had a plastic one as a kid that I loved to death. Then my cousin joined band and played flute, and I really looked up to my cousin, so yeah. But really, all these things just kinda...well, there was just no doubt I'd be joining band as soon as I can. I love it. :)

This is where it got me. <3 Blow Southerners!!!

Edit: LMFAO you can hear where everyone's yelling for people they know, and this guy on the field yells for himself. He's like "GO BERTHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I've been playing the piano since I was about six, I think. But I quit when I was ten and started back up again just two years ago. So technically, I've only been playing for six years. But during that seven-year stretch of no lessons, I played super-occasionally, so I never truly forgot how to play. Actually, this is the song that brought me back into playing:

Yup, that's To Zanarkand from FFX! I can still play it now, actually. :)

Buuuut the piano definitely means a lot to me. My current teacher has actually completely inspired me to be a piano teacher myself so we'll see~

I've tried guitar on several occasions but I just can't seem to get the hang of it haha. I really do wanna learn one day, but I gotta stop failing first. XD; Oh and I have a violin that's chilling in my bedroom. Once I'm done with piano lessons I wanna take up violin.

...You could say I like music. :D

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I know how to play the trumpet and in-turn, the mellophone and various other instruments within that general family (cornet, etc.). I've also played a very tiny bit of saxophone, clarinet, and flute. I kind of spent some time playing each of those (except for the saxophone) at school. I'm very, very, very, very slowly learning to play bass. And I want to learn how to play drums and guitar and piano.

BAM!

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I play the piano! I've been playing since freshaman year, so about...3 years? Anyways, I don't play in a band or an orchestra. I just post videos on youtube. But when I get older, I'm thinking of studying music so I can be in an orchestra or go solo. I want to compose music for listening, and maybe even movies, and perform them live! My biggest influence was Christofer Drew, but I don't really listen to his music too much anymore, just rarely. But he still is the guy who got me so into music, and if it wasn't for him, I don't know what I would do. I'm also greatly influences by my favorite artist, Bob Dylan! Some other bands I like are Machine Head, Symphony X, Tristan Prettyman, Metallica, Skrillex and The Airborne Toxic Event(whos concert I just so happen to be at this very moment, hehe!)!!!!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I played clarinet for 1 year, bass clarinet for 3, bari sax for half year (Marching season), contra bass for half year (Concert season)

I hated playing sax though. Mostly because of the reason's why I had to. The kid that was supposed to play bari *****ed about the bari being to heavy. I was supposed to play bass clarinet that year (as usual) but the teacher had enough of his complaining. End result was him getting to play tenor and me getting a crash course in saxophone.

I moved, and my new school needed someone to play contra during concert season. Guess who got picked?

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
  • I play the vocal cords! :D

I used to play the clarinet in elementary school, though I've almost completely forgotten how now.

My parents and teachers keep saying I have pianist/guitarist fingers (middle finger to the wrist, my fingers make up a good half of my hand's length), so I've wanted to pick one of those up, but I found a nice talent in singing, so I stuck with that since 4th grade. The instrumental history of my family also discouraged me a bit. (My mom gave up on piano (though she was good) for crafts. My older brother gave up on guitar after a while for sports, and my younger brother just completely neglected his own guitar literally an hour or so after he got it; it's been collecting dust ever since.)

archeops14

The First Bird
    Years
  • I want to play something but I don't know which one. I know it's off topic but does anyone recommend an instrument for me?

Years
  • I want to play something but I don't know which one. I know it's off topic but does anyone recommend an instrument for me?

It partially depends on what you want to learn it for. Of course your main music interests are going to govern which is the best instrument for you to learn. That said, do you want something to learn formally (with music theory) or just enough to play around and learn a few songs to show off?

The piano is more suited to formal music structure. The chords and scales are easier to see and it's accompanied by proper sheet notation. On the other hand, the guitar is often more suited to learning what you want to. Look up the tabs for a few songs, learn the chords you need and work out the strumming pattern by ear. That's not to say that either instrument is restricted to the particular method, but they're the most common, so the most easily accommodated for.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Oh let's see, violin for about 10 years, but I quit lessons last year. Piano for maybe two? I taught myself, so I'm not fantastic at it, it's just something for fun.

I played flute for three years, then I switched over to alto saxophone in the middle of that, which I played for another year. I also screwed around with the clarinet for a while, to help me with playing saxophone.

And finally there's the ukulele which I kind of started a couple months ago. I'm finally getting the hang of it now.

Zeroblivion

Brotherhood
    Years
  • Well, it's violin, for 8 years. Since when I was 9, I practiced on violin when I saw my mom was great. I tried to play my mom's violin without pulling the strings.

Just when my mom saw me interested in violin, she told me to have violin lessons.

Since then, I still love to play violin and probably an advance player now.

I also played the guitar about for 5 years. It was pretty fun, but I gave up. I stopped playing the guitar, but when was 15, I continued to play because I saw some good musics, like with Gackt, pure of rock with guitars. I play well the guitar today, probably I can play 5 whole musics with the guitar.

I almost forgot, I played the flute when I was 6. The first flute I had was a gift of my grandfather. I never know where it is, just a month ago, I found it and made it a remembrance.
    I thought it was easy to play the flute, but you need like 12 fingers! No, not really, it's just simple. Pretty good on notes by the way.

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 22, 2016
    I been playing trombone for almost a year and a half,it's pretty fun playing with a slide and a horn,I also been learning guitar for a month now.:)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I started with the piano when I was 5, guitar I taught myself for over a year and drums I've also started teaching myself. My physics teacher also taught me how to play the Mandolin favourite student and cause I know Piano, I played the glockenspiel in Orchestra for 2 years. Also taught self how to play the harmonica but I've kinda lost it xd

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've been playing the piano since I was 4-years-old, and that was completely of my own volition... no crazy workaholic parents for me. I can't remember why I wanted to learn, but I'm really glad I did. I haven't had lessons in about 5 years now, but I never really liked the whole reading sheet music thing anyway. (Don't get me STARTED on sight reading for exam purposes... ugh.) I have a keyboard back home, and sometimes I'll get the urge to just play something off of the top of my head. Normally it's a TV theme tune (Murder, She Wrote is a fave), but sometimes I'll just compose a little ditty. Fun times.

I had violin lessons at school when I was about 10, but gave those up as soon as possible (along with everyone in the class apart from one person). I can do basic drum stuff, but nothing above 'barely competent'.

I'd really like to learn the saxophone... but I think that ship has sailed for the time being. At the moment, I'm probably at about the level of Homer Simpson:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I've been playing the Piano for well over a year now or maybe 2 years and I don't play as a group or anything; just at home. The main inspiration for me wanting to play it or learn to play a Piano would of been that day when I watched many videos of people playing the instrument and Freddie Mercury was a big influence too because he played a piano now and then, as well. Which then led onto me wanting to play it.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • I play guitar, bass guitar, violin, piano, and cello.
    I've had a band but nothing really works out.
    I've been playing guitar since I was 8 or 9 I think, don't know when piano started, violin was about a year ago, and the same with cello. Bass guitar's kinda new for me.

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
    Years
  • I used to play the trombone for band in middle school. Boy was that thing a pain to lug back and forth to school on the bus...

I also play a bit of piano. I took lessons for a bit when I was younger, but most everything I can do is self-taught.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • My main instrument is clarinet, but I can play Alto Sax, and could play Oboe if you made me...haha. I was the principle clarinetist for bands in my senior high and the first chair. I own a vintage Selmer clarinet made in France from 1939 as well. I own an Alto Sax, but I want to sell it since I don't use it and it's really not my main instrument.

I really miss playing in a band, but now that I'm in University and I'm a Sociology major, I ended up not pursuing it, but I LOOOOOVE clarinet, and have always been a fan of movie scores, instrumental music, and swing since forever! haha :)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I really wanted to learn how to play the piano when I was a kid but for some reason my parents never really went for it and I wasn't that gung-ho about it so I didn't press them. I wish I had, looking back on it, but oh well.

I took band starting in grade 5 or 6 in elementary school. I ended up playing trumpet but I wasn't very good at it, I don't think, since I never got main parts or anything. When I moved away, my new school didn't have a band program and there weren't any places that actually taught it specifically so I had to give it up. I really missed it and would pull it out occasionally and play but I haven't even seen my trumpet in years and my parents may have given it away by now. Aww.

Nowadays I don't find it too big a deal that I have no instrument to play... I like listening to music but I'm not really passionate about it or anything so I guess I just don't really care that much that I can't play any myself. If I could take up an instrument now, I guess I'd kind of like to learn to play the violin but I wouldn't be able to afford it even if I had the time. :P Plus it's pretty hard, according to my friend with much more musical training than I ever had, so I don't think it's something I'll ever go for. Oh well.

Back