• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you play with 3D on?

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
  • Wasn't sure whether to post this in the ORAS forum, XY forum or here, but figured it belongs in this section.

Gen VI and the 3DS immersed us in a (semi-)3D world. Pokemon Battles can now be played in 3D, as well as some cutscenes. Pretty basic question - do you play with 3D on?

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I rarely do with any games actually, I just don't find it all that amazing and it does bother my eyes a bit too, so it's just not worth it for me.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Wait, the name 3DS means 3D DS? =O

I don't use it ever, no matter what the game... my eyes just can't handle the 3d in anything. >.<

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • 6/10 times I would turn the 3D on in battle! I love the 3D setting, it's so beautiful(eapecially in Gates to Infinity)! Of course though, there does come the time when it's smarter to turn it off or my brothers want to watch me play. But I do love the 3D setting. :3

Years
  • For the most part I do. I think unless the 3D is making my eyes hurt (it does from time to time), then I'll keep it on, because why not. I have a 3D game, might as well play it in 3D!

Although if I decide I want to go do something like...take off my glasses and go play while lying down (because I can is the main reason, usually if I want to play just before falling asleep or something), then the 3D goes off automatically. Can't hold the 3DS far enough away from me - and still be able to actually see the screen well enough - to have the 3D be shown properly then.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Nope, I love the 3D effect but it makes my eyes go funny if its on for long.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I don't usually play with the 3D on because of battery consuption rate. But when I want to play with the 3D on, you can be sure it's on.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    3D was a fad I never cared for in the slightest, so no. It also tends to make shit lag and I don't like lag.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    My 3DS is one of those where the 3D option wasn't quite as good, as it should have been (finding the right angle, where watching doesn't hurt the eyes) and even without 3D on, there are some instances during battles, where it starts lagging (e.g. Split Screens and Double Battles).

So, no I never turn them on.

Years
  • At first I had it on, but not long after that, I started playing without 3D. I have to admit my excitement for it didn't last very long; in fact it started to become quite annoying to always have to hold the 3DS at the right angle and distance so that the image didn't get blurry. I don't think the 3D effect is that stunning anyway, so by now I always play without it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Every now and again, sure.

The 3D effect this device seems to have strains my eyes after a while, unfortunately, which is sort of annoying. To avoid this, I keep it turned off most of the time. While battling, however, I do turn it up a little, due to its move graphic enhancements and whatnot, which I find to be pretty sweet.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    I can't watch the 3D for long before my eyes hurt but I do think it looks stunning. I sometimes turn it on for battles when I know there will be moves with large special effects. Dark Pulse looks great with 3D on.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I only play with 3D on during cutscenes and during the Gym Leader "pre-battle" artwork thing. I don't use 3D in battle as I prefer just seeing everything in 2D. I don't really like the 3D effects in general but in some cutscenes it can be quite cool so I leave it on during cutscenes just in case. :P

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • 3D's hard on my eyes and I've honestly never viewed it as more than a cheap gimmick that eats away at battery life (which is preciously short anyway because I only have the older, smaller 3DS). Definitely not.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    The 3D makes the framerate chug when you're playing pokémon, so I don't use it. It's fine in other games so I don't know what the problem is.

Years
  • Ah geez, no. Battles, especially hordes, lag way too much with it and it hurts my eyes to keep it on for over.. thirty seconds, I'll say? I don't use 3D for any of my 3DS games though so it has little to do with Pokemon itself. Just easier that way.

Years
  • I usually don't actually. Like, it's very cool and sometimes I'll leave it on for a battle every once in a while. However, it very quickly starts to hurt my eyes and I can't do it for long periods of time without getting a headache from it.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I turn on the 3D feature maybe 5% of the time if I want to view an awesome trainer or gym leader re-match battle. It's incredibly lagging during horde battling, so I don't use it during wild battles.

Back