• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still buy music?

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    With free streaming being prominent the past few years (YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, etc.) Do you still buy music, whether it's from iTunes (digitally), CD, Vinyl, etc? Is there a reason you buy what's available for free (as in legally free too?) Personally I find myself using Spotify most of the time, but occasionally I buy a couple CDs because I like having the music physically and on my hard drive instead of just streaming it. It's cool to have a shelf in my room with albums that mean alot to me, I kinda like to flip through them and look back at what I used to listen to.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • music is pretty much the only thing I buy alongside books, movies and video games. I buy CDs, vinyl, and if I'm really desperate I'll grab it off of iTunes. that being said I still pirate a ton as well haha.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Who buys music when you can get most of it for free? Of course there may be one or two songs a year that I can't find for free anywhere but the majority of my library is all free.

Years
  • Very rarely do I buy music either in stores or on iTunes anymore, I do have an iTunes account but I haven't bought much from it nowadays. I can usually find stuff on YouTube, so there.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    I'm ashamed to admit, but with my job paying me minimum wage, I have more important things to spend money on. I do my best to support music though as I'm a musician myself, so I'll buy a physical copy of an album I really enjoyed every now and then.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • I can't say I mostly buy music unfortunately. I'd love to buy every piece of music I enjoy, but I just don't have that much of an income. However I do buy the albums which I really like whenever I can.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I proudly get my music for free.

Why would I pay for something when I can get it for free? x3 it's just right in your face. I'd feel like a sucker if I paid for all my music (online only).

Physical copies are a different story because it's physically there in your hands. I never really was much of a album/CD buyer to begin with but if I like a band a lot, I'll buy their actual CD.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • For some things, like video game music I really like, I'll download them from free with whatever method is convenient. I am sure there are some ways to pay for them but you usually have to buy the whole album, and I like extended versions anyways.

For other songs...well, it varies. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes its more convenient to buy them on my phone since I use my phone for music anyways, so why use my PC to download for free and spend the time and hassle transferring it to my phone when I have a spare dollar for the song anyways? It all depends on where I am at the moment. :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I buy the vinyl if I really like the album, just because I want it in my nerd collection. I pirate everything else, and would never pay for a digital copy of anything.

Seeing a band live is the best way to support them. They don't see enough profit from album sales so I don't feel guilty about it.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I buy strictly physical copies of artist's music. I like being able to look at my collection as it grows. I probably have over...+100 CDs? Haven't actually counted in awhile, but it's somewhere around that mark. I mean I could download stuff illegally, but I've always had this suspicion that it might bite me in the butt later on. That's probably not the case, but I've always had that innate feelings when I think about that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I do buy music, but only those that I'm absolutely sure that I would listen; if I'm not, then I'd find some other way to get a hold of them. Music albums might not be costly, but they're still worth money, and usually, I just don't have much spare cash with me. Even if I do, I wind up spending them on other things such as clothes, video games, and things like that. :(

Guest123_x1

These days, I mostly find music that I want to listen to on YouTube. It's not like I have much money to buy CDs, besides, it's hard to find what I want on CD, especially in brick-and-mortar stores. When it comes to buying music, though, I'm more likely to buy old vinyl (LP and 45) and shellac (78) records at thrift stores such as Goodwill and Salvation Army. Atop of that, I prefer singles (45 and 78 RPM.)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I buy albums if I like enough of the songs or the band enough to where I wanna support them and own a physical copy. Likewise, if I really like specific songs enough then I'll buy them to have them on my iTunes. Though, a lot of what I listen to isn't in English, and usually has to be downloaded randomly somewhere on the internet. Sooooo.. I don't pay for most of my music, no. .w.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I still buy music, but not as before.

In the past I found out of new music via music magazines - then I had to go to the store and hope to find the CD's - but now there is YouTube and I can listen to songs and if I love the song I can buy the MP3's on Amazon or other online music places.

No longer need to buy CD's - I can find the album artwork online same for the lyrics. The music I like are artist that are so hard to find their music CD's in the USA.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    All of the music I have I bought. I spent at least $4,200 on music since I got a job!

Years
  • Ashamed to admit, but I've downloaded every single song that's in my iTunes library D: Mainly because the majority of them are in foreign languages like Japanese, and Korean. If I were in either of those countries, I would buy the physical CDs, but having to order them online, and have them shipped to me from an online site that I know of that has their headquarters in Hong Kong is tiresome. For instance (and this might be a bad example), I ordered CDs for my friend during the busiest season of the year, Christmas, and it took approximately 5 weeks for them to come in so they didn't make it in time for me to give to my friend before Christmas Day. Instead it showed up after New Year's right before he had his co-op placement in Toronto. Even during the regular days, it would take 2-3 weeks for CDs to arrive so I don't bother \:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • If a Spotify membership counts as buying music, then yes. As for buying digitally, I support my favorite artist's singles for the most part, and when it comes to buying albums, only from people like Lana Del Rey or Lady Gaga. Otherwise I wait for a super cheap version (I got Bangerz last year for $6) or just stream it on Spotify. whoops

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I buy all of my music on iTunes! First of all I don't have a smartphone and only have an iPod Touch, so I wouldn't be able to enjoy Pandora, Spotify, etc. on the go anyways and only at home near Wi-Fi. Not to mention the fact that where I live now I can only get 20GB of HOME internet per month and music is not a priority for me on what I'm using my data for. I will probably have unlimited in the future, but since I buy all of music even if I don't it will never be a problem. Second of all even if I did have a smartphone I would still buy music. I like to have it all at once and listen to any song at any given time without loading an app or seeing ads or any social aspects that the app might have. I just want to see an album cover, album/artist/song title, and have the music start playing immediately! I also make CD's to listen to in my car. I have a device to listen to my iPod over the radio, but music from the CD player is better quality. The only songs I download for free are ones that I truly cannot find any official source to buy them from online. Usually they are remixes, dubstep mixes, or parodies of other songs I already own.

Years
  • When I first received an iPod Touch for Christmas, I actually bought songs with iTunes cards that I was given along with the iPod Touch. Luckily I never waisted hundreds of dollars buying music, because later on down the road I found out that I don't need to buy it, when there are websites that have the MP3 file for me to download and upload to my iPod. There were only a few songs that were like this, but they were songs that I liked so I decided to download them off the internet. Even more later on down the road, I found out that there is a website that converts YouTube videos into MP3 files, so I decided to use that for a long time. I used that method to get over 100 songs on my iPod. Then I decided to stop pirating my music and just listen to it on the YouTube app, since wherever I went, there was bound to be internet for me to use. My headphones broke after a few months and then I just stopped listening to music altogether. I really need to get another pair of headphones so I can get back into listening to music. I'll have to use my iPad since my iPod Touch is now broken. I still won't buy the music. :P

The last time I bought a CD was a long time ago, so I can count those out of this.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2014
    Music is the only thing I like more than games, and I don't pirate either. I'd say I have 120+ cds by now, and while I'm aware that I can get any music I like for free there's just something about actually physically owning the albums, watching them stack up, getting them signed :D Plus having the lyric booklet is a must when it comes to half the stuff I listen to xD

Back