• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do you still have your cartridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2017
    i have the original red version still, along with green (japanese version that was given to me but never touched really), yellow, silver, crystal, sapphire, pearl, platinum, fire red and of course, black :)

i tend to separate the pokemon carts from my other carts when storing them...so though i've lost a majority of my other carts...i've still kept all of my pokemon ones. guess they always did hold a special place in my heart, after all.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • I have a red cartridge that still works fine, a yellow cartridge, and a silver cartridge, both of which also are in fine condition.

Gonshiro

Zeon Lieutenant Junior Grade
    Years
  • Let's see here....

Red - Gave to a friend
    Yellow - Stolen at school back in '99
    Gold - I let my friend have it, along with a cheat device. (I think it was called master brain or monster brain or something like that)
    Crystal - Same as Gold

So...No. I sadly have not kept a Pokemon game that I've owned. I would defeat the E4 and lose interest. After yellow, I didn't bring games to school, so I never had the chance to trade/battle with most people. Sadly, where I live, it's not really easy to meet people with similar interests anyways (Small town) and once Gen II rolled around, the Poke craze had died down here...

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    I found my wife's pokemon gold and her old gameboy color while rummaging through our things and I started playing it recently. I haven't been a fan of Pokemon, since I grew up playing old Nintendo and SNES games. But I got accustomed to some characters from playing Smash Bros with my college buddies. I get hooked on RPG games pretty quick (Chrono Trigger, FF7). I wouldn't mind if it happened again with this game. We'll see..

Glow Worm's Not Glowing

Not-So-Masterful
    Years
  • I have most of my old games. Even the ones that no longer work.

The only one I don't have anymore is Pearl because I gave it to my friend when he first got his DSlite.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    I'll list them as I mention.

During my childhood: My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Snap (Which I have in Virtual Console.) Pokemon Yellow came along with a Green Gameboy Color for me and Purple for my Brother. When Gold and Silver came out, my brother got Gold, so I decide to get Silver. My Yellow version died, so I was stuck with Silver. I also got Crystal when it was released. I lost Silver for no reason, so yeah. I got Gold version, and bought Crystal again since I also lost Crystal. I was forever stuck in 2nd Generation until Ruby and Sapphire came along. I got Ruby version for my 12th birthday from my mother and Sapphire along with the guide from my father.

While I was a teenager: During 8th Grade, I decided to buy Blue version along with Skies of Arcadia, after playing Blue along, I bought Red, and Yellow along. While I was in 10th Grade, I sold all of my Pokemon games.

Now as an adult: Made a comeback during my last quarter of my Senior year with Platinum. I bought 6 Pokemon Imports, which are Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold and Silver on eBay.

So far: I now have Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow which are Imports. Gold and Silver which are also imports, but won't save.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    Yep. All six of them, and I still play them (my metal gen cartridges won't save, so I play the roms). I'm actually playing Red again at this very moment. Now excuse me, I have a Cascade Badge to get.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    You mean imports from Japan? In that case that's awesome! How does it work playing them, do you know how to read Japanese (for the attacks and such)? Or do you just do trial and error?

I always wanted to buy a copy of Japanese Green but that's what's been holding me back.

If that's not the case it's awesome nontheless. :-P

You should know that they're the Japanese versions @ what I listed them.

The one I go for is trial and error. I can read most of Katakana, but I need to improve on Hiragana. I can read some Kanji such as 伝説, 炎, 赤, 緑, 青, 黒, 白, all that other stuff. The reason why is that I'm an impatient person so I easily forget things when I try to learn. Maybe I should slow down a bit to learn some of the Japanese words and phrases so I understand what they mean.

For example: 私のラップトップ

that means, My Laptop in Japanese.

Anyways, after doing a lot of research about Pokemon Green, it turns out that the localized version of Blue is actually Green, and that the original Blue was left out despite its engine being used to localize Red and Green, dubbed "Red and Blue." It's like naming Soul Master "Dawn Warrior" in MapleStory. Gold and Silver suffered a lot less than Red and Green in terms of localization where Phanpy/Donphan being originally found Gold is, outside of Japan, found in Silver while Teddiursa/Ursaring being originally found in Silver is found in Gold outside of Japan. There are other changes between JP and Local, though they're not localization flaws IMO.

ALSO! You can't trade your Pokemon from the Japanese version to the other versions such as the US version, because it causes the non-Japanese version of the game to crash while the JP version still works, which got fixed in Ruby and Sapphire. That's why I have all 4 of the first generation games and 2 out of 3 of the second generation games (Only one missing is Crystal.)

Nemisis

Soul Eater
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 12, 2012
    I got LeafGreen, FireRed, Crystal, Red, Yellow, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, and Gold cartridges. 5 of those got its batteries dried out and the others r now glitchy but emerald and yellow are still ok ^_^. i also got to hack cartridges like Frigo Returns and Chaos Black <--- got fool by the sellers. im a fan of pokemon since i was a child and im 15 years old right now i hope pokemon gets better and better..

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • FOR THE SECOND TIME. This thread is about cartridges from generations I and II. That's ONE and TWO. UNO Y DOS. UN ET DEUX. Okay?

I'm not moving it cause 1. it's a bigger accomplishment to have old carts and 2. this section needs an active thread. So if you all keep talking about any generation III and newer games, I'm going to pop a lid.

Last edited:

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • Red - I got it from a friend when he got Gold, when I moved in 2007 I found shards of red plastic with the sticker on it. RIP.
    Crystal - Still got it!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I still have my Blue and Gold cartridges, but the Gold one has been corrupted unfortunately. I also had a Yellow cartridge, but that one seems to have fallen by the wayside, unfortunately. I blogged about these a while back, but my team in Blue when I last checked was... not good. Oh well; live and learn! :D

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Mine? I lost my Red and Gold cartridges way way back, maybe during the dark period of my life when I temporarily forgot about Pokemon.

Years
  • All except Blue. It got stolen on me when I brought it into school. I still check them every now and then to see if the battery is still alive.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I still have most of my old games, though the whereabouts of Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, and Emerald are unknown - we moved several times in the past few years and they're probably buried deep in our storage shed. I don't think my parents would've gotten rid of them, but who knows. The more recent games (Pearl, Leaf Green, Platinum, Soul Silver) I still have except for White which I sold to GameStop after becoming bored with it.

My brother still has my old Blue though the battery is dead. It still plays but he can't save the game.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
  • The only Gen 1/2 game cartridge I have is Red.
    Yellow I had bought before, when I was super young and didn't understand pokemon...so I got frustrated with Brock and quit. (Red, I chose charmander, so I didn't take an easy way out.)

Crystal...I just didn't like. I don't like Gen 2 games. SO I ended up getting rid of it along with yellow.

Years
  • I still have my VERY FIRST pokemon ever. Squirtle from my Blue cartridge.

I have:
    Blue (In fine, working condition, still saves when I checked it last month.)

Red (Works, saves, but I'm changing the battery anyways. I'm going to use Red as my Challenge cartridge. Belonged to my brother, who lost interest in pokemon, and when we moved I just took it xD)

Yellow (x2) (One was brother's, I only know where one is, and the battery is dead)

Silver (x2) (One may save and I believe one's battery is dead [to be replaced as soon as I learn how] One belonged to aforementioned brother)

Gold (Once again, my brother's. I haven't tested if it still works or not.)

Crystal (Not sure if it works. I remember missing my chance to catch Suicune in that game because I didn't know I was going to battle it, unprepared.)

So yeah, I've been into pokemon my entire life. All of the games listed above were brand new. I really don't like buying used pokemon games, feels dirty to me in some way. I also have FireRed, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, HG, SS, and Black, but this isn't the place for stories about them.

I hope for one day, Nintendo/Pokemon developers decide to port all of the games over to DS "cartridges" so us players will be able to keep our saves forever. I still dread the day my Blue battery dies. I get kinda emotionally connected to my pokemon from any generation, but my very first....It's the one that started it all for me.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back