• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Do you still have your games?

mjb8910

mjb8910
Years
  • I have my originals of RBY and GSC but sadly the batteries have died and my GSC games don't work. My RBY games work and I still use them. I also still have my copies of Pokémon Stadium and Stadium 2 for the N64 as well. Lots of hours wasted but so much fun!

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I also still have my copies of Pokémon Stadium and Stadium 2 for the N64 as well. Lots of hours wasted but so much fun!

Same! Me and my flatmates dug them out a while back and had a mini tournament between ourselves, it was a good laugh.

I didn't realise until that night just how OP Pokemon like Tauros actually were in Gen I, dear God..

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Status of my old games:

Red: Dead. Shoved somewhere in a box back home in California.
    Blue: Dead. Absolutely no clue where it is.
    Yellow: Dead. (Really sad about this) Have the cartridge here with me in Seattle.
    Silver: Alive, but it can't save games anymore.
    Crystal: Alive and still working! :)

My gameboy color no longer has sound though, so I just play it on an emulator. I love modern technology!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm really sad to say that my Color and Metal games are no longer here. Still, I'm really glad to have them part of life! I believe I wouldn't be here if I wasn't addicted to Pokemon in the first place! Hahaha!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I have all of the gen I and gen II games, but only Red and Yellow save (and I haven't checked those in a few months, so who knows how they're doing). I bought replacement batteries about 5 years ago, but I never got around to installing them, so if I wanted to do so, I'd probably want to buy more tabbed batteries, which were a pain to order the first time. At this point, if I want to play those games on an actual system again, I'll have to go with the VC releases of RBY (and hope that GSC are finally released again as well).

Blue is a lost cause. I've taken out the battery, tried to replace it, etc., but all it does is lock up on Oak's image on the new game screen before loading text and make Gastly cries and other weird noises. I have a feeling something is permanently wrong there, but I don't know what the problem is, or if there's anything I can do to fix it.

Even though some of the old games don't work, I have no intention of getting rid of them. I do wonder if I should replace (or at least take out) the batteries before they corrode/leak, though.

SqishyRina

Sqishy~
    Years
  • My first game was Pokemon Gold, and I still have it today. I haven't really played it much though, especially after the internal battery died, wiping my save data and rendering me incapable of creating a new file. I replaced the battery, but it's just not worth playing anymore, especially since my SoulSilver now fills that void.

Also, fun side-point: I actually owned the bootleg Pokemon Jade, and Vietnamese Pokemon Crystal as a kid. I still have those too!

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    When my 2nd DS broke, I gave my brother all my previous Pokemon games. However, I have held on to my dear Red after all this time. It still works to this day :)

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    My mom sold my games along with my GameBoy as I got older because she had no aptitude for budgeting, bless her ignorant soul...

As I entered middle school, she made it up to me with a GBA SP.

Years later, my little cousin gave me his Crystal Version for free out of no where when he was over one day. I've treasured it ever since!

I re-bought Red from a small local game store a while back for a decent price, though it doesn't seem to be capable of producing colours anymore...

With the announcement of the virtual console release, I don't see myself picking up any more of the old carts. I am interested in the boxes, being a light collector, though tracking them down in the condition I'd prefer is something I'm too lazy to do. :) Maybe one day!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    At one point, I had Red, Blue, and Yellow. I lost Blue along with a white Game Boy Advance several years ago. It was in the cartridge slot when I lost it.

I still have Red, but the board inside the game cartridge has come loose and it tends to lose my saved games very easily. It was the first Pokémon game I got, and I abused it by taking it in and out of the Game Boy Pocket while carrying it in a game case around my neck. For a while, it only worked on the Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy due to a real Game Boy jostling it too much. I was able to make it work again by cutting out the bottom part of the cartridge and exposing the bare connectors. Now my game works as long as I leave it in a Game Boy and don't take it out too often.

Pokémon Yellow still works perfectly, which is logical because it was the last game I got. Gold, Silver, and Crystal also all work. I haven't played them in three years, but they're all stored nicely. The only thing that could have happened since then is a battery dying, but I know how to replace them now anyway.

To be honest, I'm so afraid of wearing those games out that I tend to play Fire Red and SoulSilver instead, unless I'm feeling extremely nostalgic.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I still have Crystal. I replaced the battery a few years ago with my shoddy soldering skills. It works, but I doubt I'd be able to replace the battery a second time. Sad. :(

DarkMeow159

Scratch master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    My father found a GameBoy in his closet, and decided to give it to me about 3 years ago. I then went and bought Pokémon Yellow and I've had it ever since. Unfortunately, my GameBoy seems to have stopped working, but I'm not gonna get rid of my games any time soon. I'm planning on repairing it anyways. Also, many people have had their save battery in their game die, but mine is still going strong. I suspect the previous owner replaced the battery in my cartridge.

Years
  • I still have my original Blue, Gold, and Silver. Pretty sure I lost my copy of Yellow (or left it behind, which is the more likely outcome), but it doesn't really matter much anyway because there's still two copies of that game here ah ha.

My Blue still works, at least. The Gold and Silver....well. They "work", in that I can physically play them. That's all I can really say, though.

(And of course, my Gold is the one game among the bunch that I wish still worked all the way, argh.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2018
    I thought I had them but now that I looked I couldn't find them. They looked really nice too, especially the Gen II ones with the powerhouses of Lugia and Ho-Oh on them and stuff. Where are they? This is unacceptable!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I lost my Yellow version a long time ago (sadly, it was my very first Pokémon game) but I've since rebought all of the games to have a complete collection. I'm only missing Yellow and Gold right now, but I have all Gen I-III games. Still working on the newer ones haha.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Yeah, I do. In fact I bought a Japanese copy of Silver just a bit over two months ago.
    You lucky chicken! I think I'm going to get into the habit of buying as many old Pokémon games I can find. Whether it be online or at markets or second-hand games stores.

Although, hopefully, I'll be able to relive the memories of me playing Generation I on an actual handheld (as opposed to PC-based emulators) come February when R/B/Y are re-released to Virtual Console. Hopefully, at some point after that, G/S/C will see a similar re-release as well.
    I think before a GSC re-release on the Virtual Console, I'd like to see a DPPt remake. That way Kanto isn't re-introduced for the umpteenth time; breaking it up a bit with a Fourth Generation remake would still maintain interest in the re-release of GSC, potentially avoiding people losing such interest because they already explored Kanto just recently.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I missed out on the games (except the N64 titles), but I only recently got Red, two Blues and two Yellows with one being mint and never used. o.o Though I have not started them, I'm debating on weather or not to do so with the 3DS versions coming out which I will be playing for sure. >_<

Back