• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you take stuff too literally?

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
    • Age 26
    • TN
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Usually, I can detect a joke from a mile away. I overuse sarcasm, for one thing, which is bound to help me recognize it. Sometimes I do have trouble getting sarcasm from reading if it's not written a certain way, but then I also often over-analyze my reading and don't take it too literally so...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I can from time to time, not only on the internet but at home since with my parents' way of talking it's hard to tell if there's a hint of sarcasm or mocking in their voice or not.

Seivad

The Equalist
    Years
  • I am poor at both indicating sarcasm and using it online, in real life i can use it and detect it with much ease.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I do my best to take most things if not absolutely everything as non-literal as I can, keeps most conversations from boiling down to arguments or god forbid flame wars both online and irl.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
  • tbh there are things i don't like when someone jokes around about it...something like religion for example....sometimes i misunderstand people online cuz i'm not native but no i don't take everything literally..some things yeah but most things nope.

irl..i don't bother a lot i like to mess around and enjoy my time but when someone really close to me and did something he\she knows i hate it then i feel offended and take it literally!

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Oh dear lord, sarcasm eludes me all the time. Yes, I do take stuff too literally almost all the time, and it really annoys the bejesus out of me.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I like to think I usually pick up on all this stuff, but when you're talking to someone you've never met before or you're talking online via text it's quite often hard to tell how someone means what they're saying. I'd say most of the time it's not too hard to tell based on tone/context, but especially online it can be tricky :p

Back