• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think B/W took a significant step in terms of plot development?

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
Years
  • Definitely.
    For the first time in any Pokemon game, whenever some plot development was going on, I wasn't all "Crap. Looks like I've gotta go out of my way to go to some cave/shrine/tower/whatever." HGSS was especially guilty of this. OH. You want to fight a gym leader? LOL SUCKS FOR YOU TOO BAD GO WASTE HALF AN HOUR DOING THIS RANDOM THING TO GET THE GYM LEADER BACK TO THEIR GYM. It felt more like a chore rather than a pleasure to advance through the storyline.

Anyway, N was cool. The whole black white theme was a pretty rocking thing they had going on. N thought there was only black and white in the world, but through the storyline he realizes it's more gray. In a way I consider him the true main character of the game rather than just the rival.

Years
  • Yeah it did, mainly because now with Team Plasma, they are actually active in the story plot. Where as in previous games, the bad guys would just be sitting in a cave or base somewhere waiting for you to come and shut em down.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    It felt refreshing to see a deeper story with a not-so bad "bad guy". I actually liked N's character and all his quirks. It was a pretty big step and I liked Ghetsis' role in all this.

Great story for a pokemon game imo.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It's funny that everyone is comparing B/W to Mystery Dungeon when both games were developed by different companies.

At any rate, the story of B/W just feels more solid. The plot isn't as simple as it was in R/B/Y. It also isn't as thrown together as it seemed to be in R/S (never played Emerald far enough to reach plot), where Magma/Aqua suddenly appeared. The plot of B/W developed at a good rate through the games, to where it just makes sense that the trainers are involved in the quest. Everything just seemed to fit the plot.

I love B/W's plot, and hope that Game Freak continues to work on their plotting skills.

Years
  • I've been playing Pokemon since the release of Red and Blue... I have to say that they really took a big leap in the storyline with Black and White, it's so much darker and in depth then most of the previous games.

I agree with this 110%. Black and White makes it seem like Gamefreak had a meeting before development and said "Hey, you know what we should do? Make a new story!"

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Nope. There are parts where I feel like they've really actually improved on, but most of it came of as crappy to me. Ghetsis wasn't even a proper threat, and all that the sages could do is talk big, but didn't really play any more of a good part than that.
    I like N though... He has similarities with me.

Years
  • B/W does seem to have taken a step in terms of the story with the whole theme of using pokemon to battle is wrong, its definately different from the other games.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • The storyline was great! Made me question a lot. Lots of twists and turns in various paces. Best yet, though Cyrus wanted to get rid of spirits, pretty deep. It just dragged too much x_X But I guess that's what made it good. The Desert Resort scene with Alder and Ghetsis wasn't needed, since I knew where the Light Stone was, but it showed Ghetsis ruthless side xD Great job GameFreak. This storyline would have made kids heads spin which means it's good for us older folks. We like complicated stuff.

Back