• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Do you think FR/LG beat the classics?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
  • no seriously do you? I didnt like the 1st gen that much, but FR/LG completely owned them imo. The music is beyond awesome, expanded gameplay, and johto pokemon were included.

So what do you think?

off-topic: imo the FR/LG soundtrack for route 11 completely owned the others, including HG/SS

EDIT: for those of you wondering which ones were the classics, they are the RBYG ones.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • I've never played Gen I, so I shouldn't really answer this, but i've seen videos of it, and.. ugh. There seems like there's nothing more to do besides beating the Elite four over and over again or maybe battling with your friends (via link cable that is) after beating the elite four for the first time. (and catching mewtwo, but whatever)

FR/LG had the Sevii Islands, which were fun in my opinion.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Fire Red is how should I say it, uhhhhh crap. I hate people who rely on nostalgia as much as the next person, so I ain't gonna rely on it.

To me Fire Red was a big disappointment, the tiles were ugly the colors were pretty ugly is well, only the Pokemon sprites seemed well done. most of it was kinda crap, i know it's a remake of the originals but try to make it nice. In Fire Red it seemed like all these new features had were introduced in Ruby and none of it was used. Instead you got Red with ugly colors and tiles.

This is just my opinion but Fire Red and Leaf Green are by far the worst Pokemon games, to me it's such a big gap between it's not even comparable. Fire Red had like absolutely nothing special about it, other than introducing those crap islands.

Years
    • OZ
    • Seen Sep 17, 2022
    Yes and no. I think FireRed and LeafGreen were better because of improved graphics and things like that but I believe Gold and Silver were much better than Red/Blue or FR/LG. There were so many new features added, it seems such a waste that these weren't carried over to FR/LG - like the day/night feature.

But I have to admit since playing FR/LG I have not even looked back at Red or Blue.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Fire Red is how should I say it, uhhhhh crap. I hate people who rely on nostalgia as much as the next person, so I ain't gonna rely on it.

To me Fire Red was a big disappointment, the tiles were ugly the colors were pretty ugly is well, only the Pokemon sprites seemed well done. most of it was kinda crap, i know it's a remake of the originals but try to make it nice. In Fire Red it seemed like all these new features had were introduced in Ruby and none of it was used. Instead you got Red with ugly colors and tiles.

This is just my opinion but Fire Red and Leaf Green are by far the worst Pokemon games, to me it's such a big gap between it's not even comparable. Fire Red had like absolutely nothing special about it, other than introducing those crap islands.

I daresay Fire Red and Leaf Green had the best tiles in any Pokemon game, and I'm sure many people would agree with me.

And you've based your whole argument on how FR/LG was crap on its tiles. Not a very solid base.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2010
    Meh, I like FR/LG, but the only bad thing is the Massingo cheat in Red and Blue.

Years
  • Objectively speaking, I'd probably say FRLG are better games. But I'd also say that Red & Blue were better for their time, and the nostalgia factor makes me prefer playing them. But not by much.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • You can play as Leaf in FR/LG. That alone makes them superior. But better graphics, more balanced gameplay also made for a better game experience.

Only advantage of the originals was that Persian's Slash criticaled almost Every. Single. Time. Persian pwned back then.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    other than introducing those crap islands.

THOSE CRAP ISLANDS are awesome
    u fool how can u say that they have lots of stuff which no other pokemon game can hope to replace...
    u and anyone who thinks that is a fooooooooooooooool

and yh the sevii islands rule i bet ur characters wishes they lived there ^_^ :D

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • lets think Red and blue had the dupicating glitch..
    yes the joys of missingno so no it don't.
    Do you think FR/LG beat the classics?

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I played Leafgreen, and I liked them a lot more than R/B/Y, mainly because of the new feel to them, and the additions. The remixes to the music was pretty good too (Champion battle was awesome!). And the Sevii Islands were my favorite part of the game. R/B/Y was good, but I just enjoyed Leafgreen that much more. :)

The Red Chain

The remakes do not beat the classics and never will imo.
    RGBY was the first generation, the very first games, the beginning of the wonderful franchise known as Pokemon.

The days you stayed up way past your bed time as a child or teenager playing Red or Blue version on your Gameboy. Though you had a light on that could potentially get you in trouble you were too indulged in your game to be concerned. When you captured Pokemon that you liked, not for their strengths or defenses. When IVs and EVs didn't matter, and Natures weren't even a thought. Before hacking was even acknowledged and fun little glitches were all you knew. Spending hours training your Pokemon just to beat one Gym Leader. When every time you walked into a pixely gym your heart would pound against your chest.
    Getting fired up every time your eyes made contact with your rival's name.. feeling so ready to prove him wrong and totally wipe the floor with him. The times when challenging Gym Leaders wasn't a chore but was.. dare I say it.. fun. Being so overwhelmed with pride when, after days of training and re-challenging, you finally defeated the Elite Four ; and of course rubbing it in your rival's face that you are stronger than him.

Sure, it's graphics and music don't compare with FRLG, but the originals have something the remakes can never outmatch or hope to replace..
    Memories.

Years
  • Two words: VS Seeker.

I love the 1st gen (crappy graphics and all), and still play the old games quite a bit even today. The one thing about them, however, that really lags, especially compared to the remakes (more so than graphics, or any other frills like the Sevii Islands) is Pokemon Training, which was made so much easier with the VS Seeker.

Let's be honest; training your Pokemon in the early games is a total bitc... well, you get the idea. It stinks. You can't battle any trainer more than once, which means training against wild Pokemon most of the time, especially late game. We all know the majority of wild Pokemon give very little useful EXP, and even the good ones are never as much as a trainers team.

Really, I like both sets about the same, and they both serve a purpose to me; 1st gen for nostalgia, and the 3rd gen remakes for easier and better training, EV's, and all that other fun stuff (can you say Sevii Islands?).

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    The VS Seeker is one of the best items in FR/LG. But, I don't think it'll beat the childhood memories of those who play RBYG when they were still little, like me.

I do say though that both games; Classics and Remakes; are pretty much the same.

Last edited:

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • The remake technically beats the original with all its improved graphics, new items, better sprites. I don't think nostalgia could solely be a driving force to say that the original was better than the remake.

Back