• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think HG/SS beat the originals?

Do you think HG/SS beat the originals?

• Yes

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    This is the first game since Sapphire (shut up, I loved hoenn) where I enjoyed (/enjoying) the in-game. This game is amazing, and it's awesome. Gold and Silver hold a special mansion in my pocket monster heart, and this deserves a move-in next door. <3

Sardonix

::Divinity AllSpark Holder::
    Years
    Well, considering how much I played Silver, I like them both equally. Sure, SoulSilver and HeartGold has a lot of updated features and some new things, the originals brought us all that excitement first with the Bug Catching contest and heading over to Kanto and everything else. I say that HeartGold and SoulSilver are in a league of their own and Nintendo did a great job with both games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2011
    Everyone is saying Graphics, music, and interface... No. Those were impossible to do back in (was it) 2000. Seriously, the G/S/C were amazing. They were the first Color Pokemon games and were the best spriting I've ever seen (as a spriter). Everyone loves 4th gen so much that I always look back on 2nd gen... it was amazing.

So, no. HeartGold didn't come close to matching G/S/C. All it did was update the graphics, interface, etc, and make it easier for me to get a Tyranitar <3

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2010
    For me, I think the game is a lot better then the originals, and I love it when they add extra things that I can do after the Elite Four (ie. Pokathlon) since I usually get easily bored after the storyline. However, the only thing I'm not too fond of is the menu interface. I loved the Poketch from D/P, but I'm not into the start menu being on the touch screen. It's not a big deal in the long run, though. Everything else I think is pretty awesome. However, playing the game does remind me about how much I disliked the Pokegear.

Sardonix

::Divinity AllSpark Holder::
    Years
    Everyone is saying Graphics, music, and interface... No. Those were impossible to do back in (was it) 2000. Seriously, the G/S/C were amazing. They were the first Color Pokemon games and were the best spriting I've ever seen (as a spriter). Everyone loves 4th gen so much that I always look back on 2nd gen... it was amazing.

So, no. HeartGold didn't come close to matching G/S/C. All it did was update the graphics, interface, etc, and make it easier for me to get a Tyranitar <3

Honestly, my favorite generation was the 2nd. Didn't care much for the 3rd gen and the 4th gen was fun, but nothing can compare to the 2nd gen. I'm with you on liking the 2nd gen.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2010
    Hmm... I love the games, yes, but I don't think it's possible to beat the originals. 2nd gen was my absolute favorite. The original G/S/C games were an important part of my childhood, and I have many great memories associated with them.

However, I do enjoy the updated graphics and the wifi connectivity. Now I can trade with people other than my older cousin!

Chrisbob78

SoulSilver
    Years
    Also to add to my earlier post now having the game. I love the way they tied in the old verison's and gave it some new features.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I don't think so, G/S/C took up about 700~ Hours of my childhood. Probably even more since I eventually played on Silver, then Crystal, then Gold and beat each three.

But this is a good game none the less.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Yes, it beats out Gold/Silver/Crystal. It's a lot harder, and it takes longer, which is a good thing since it makes me enjoy the game more. Also, I like the music and graphics a lot more in this one then in the ones before. Not to mention that Kanto isn't just dead space anymore, at least not as much.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I feel the initial question is odd.

You're comparing 3D Graphics on a DS to 2D graphics on a Gameboy Colour. That's like comparing Nintendo 64 to Xbox 360 Graphics. It just doesn't compare lol They're both 3D, but c'mon, Resident Evil V is a lot better looking than the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is, and what has that in similarity to this discussion? There's a 10y difference between games.

HGSS is great; I wouldn't say it's "better". As someone said, it's a remake, and you can only "improve" a remake. You can't really compare them since it's the same game from different time periods of video game development.

Back