• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Do you think I'll make E4 and get to victory with my team? Please also rate 1-10

Years
  • Stipulations: I never use Legendaries in any play through.

Side Notes: Only 4 badges in and not all are evolved yet but plan on that being the case before E4. I never finished D/P/P because I went a long time with a gap from Gen 1-3 to 5 and missed Gen 4 as during that time in my life we were struggling to put food on the table. This is my chance to finish it. I heard that this is one of the hardest gens and games despite the exp share. I also know this is not like the best team or anything but just the team I'd been wanting to use since I saw D/P release:

Here is my team. Please rate 1-10. Will I beat the E4 first time around?

Murkrow, Gastrodon, Rampardos, Ponyta, Medicham, Torterra

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    If that's your dream team, then go for it! If it's a 10 for you, then it's a 10 for me. Just have a strategy and some contingencies. Also, get some xdefend, xspdefend, xattack, xspattack, xspeed just in case. I don't know what your strategy is for Cynthia's Garchomp (perhaps Gastrodon with ice beam or Medicham with ice punch?) but that one may be difficult since the team doesn't seem to have blazing speed.

JDragon921

THE gen 4 guy. or not. idk.
    Years
  • So, the original gen 4 has some difficulty to it, but BDSP made going through Sinnoh a lot easier. You have updated stats, the fairy type, and the affection mechanic on your side. You should be fine for most of the game.

The E4 and Champion have competitive to pseudo-competitive sets. They all have max IVs in the stats they need and max EVs, so every mon you fight there is pretty much as strong as they can be. They all have held items and pretty good AI, so they might switch out Pokemon if they see you hitting them super effectively. They'll go for a KO if they're faster and you're both on low health. BDSP's E4 and Champion is pretty much the hardest in the series, if not REALLY high up there.

Your team is pretty okay, but there are some problems here.
    1. It's pretty weak to the Champ's team. You should be able to go through everything but her, and the main reason is because you don't have the perfect Garchomp counter. Garchomp holds a Yache Berry, so you can't 1 shot it with an Ice Beam. Garchomp is also always sent out last, so your team will be really weakened if you're not using items. Your entire team is pretty slow, so most of her mons will outspeed you. Torterra seems to be your only shot gainst Garchomp, because he's very tank and resists earthquake. You can probably still win, but it'd be very hard unless you use a lot of items.
    2. Your team is very heavy on the physical attackers. Unless you're using special attacks on mons like Murkrow, Gastrodon, and Ponyta, you may get walled by the physically bulky mons in the E4.

Honestly, your team isn't bad. It just doesn't have enough defense to fall back to. Gastrodon is really good, but may not be able to take too many hits. Torterra is also good, so I would try to make sure it's healthy enough for the end of the Champion fight. You can definitely make it work as long as you switch your Pokemon out right (And if Gastrodon has Storm Drain)

Edit: forgot to put the score, so I'll say 6.8-7/10. Needs more speed and defenses.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Pokémon is by default winnable with any team. It's really a question of a how much strategy you'll need to win rather than a question of whether you can win.

The main issue I see there is that your team is slow. Speed usually matters more in main game but it's nothing you can't plan around. You might want to invest into Def raising items or Healing items / moves, but outside that, it's beatable enough, yeah.

JDragon921

THE gen 4 guy. or not. idk.
    Years
  • That's pretty true. Tbh I'll only be able to gauge teams by how I play the game.

I don't try to overlevel and I don't use items in battle. I use switch mode on new games and then set mode on following runs. You can definitely spam items with your tankiest Pokemon and win because Pokemon is mad easy without restrictions. I'll still recommend that you swap out like 2 of your mons with ones that have higher speed or bulk. If you use items or switch mode, you're mostly fine.

Years
  • Yeah my Gastrodon is a special attacker with a calm nature and he knows Ice Beam.

Torterra is a Physical with the curse set up

Honchcrow is a special attacker actually. It's special attack was 20ish points higher than physical so just went special

Medicham has Mind Reader to help with accuracy with that Hi Jump Kick but unsure if mind read is worth keeping or not but Zen Headbutt also doesnt have 100% accuracy.

Rampardos was a lucky hatch with a Jolly nature but still he's probably much slower than any Garchomp and ofc weak to ground types.

Rapidash has the Flame Charge and Flamethrower so boosting speed and also a mixed attacker. Also has a steel type move and stomp for flinching. Isn't there an item to increase flinch chances? But not exactly bulky.

Back