• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Inserting New Tilesets is nescessary for making a hack?

Should i take a long time to figure out Tile Insertion?

• Don't even start until you know Tile Inserting Inside & Out

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Make the Hack without the Tile Inserting if you can't pull it off

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • Give up

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
    I think tiles are nice, but are not needed. However, Most people like a little originality. I you can't insert tiles, try editing the pallets to make it beam a little. A good hack has good scripts and good maps (Maybe some ASM too :)).

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    It's your hack. Do what you want with it. Who cares about popular demand?
    That's exactly what my philosophy is. That's why even if my thread dies, I'm going to continue working on my hack, after all, I still want to play it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    As everyone else said, no they aren't that important... but it is useful to change some sprites/building tiles etc, if you want your characters to be totally original.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    I think, in some occasions (depending on your outlook of your hack's size) new tiles are 100% necessary. For example, let's say you want you region to have a giant bridge. Or you want some event to take place up in the sky with clouds. At times like these, you can't exactly rely on the archetypal tiles of Pokemon: Grass, Cave, City floor..

I mean, if your characters are babbling about this whole event taking place in the sky, and them referring to certain things that aren't even there, the scenario would just end up looking a bit... dumb..

"Oh my gosh, that's a beautifully shaped cloud! It looks like a Rayquaza! (character faces cloud' only to direct the player towards a tree)"

If you plan to make your hack big, as in by using different regions unfamiliar to the rather limited tiles granted upon you, only then should you turn that new tileset into a priority.

Sometimes people might just substitute things with the standard tiles, and it turns out okay. Decent. Not great, but satisfactory. That's the reaction you want to avoid. Pokemon maps are all about visuals, and if your story says something, yet the visuals are totally thrown in a different direction, signals will get crossed and it'll be overall unpleasant.

If you want your cave to have specific things, or a field to have specific tile, I suggest you just substitute it. Only if a MAJOR AREA is in need of tiles that aren't available, only then should you turn towards the looming thought of Tile Insertion.

Just my overwritten opinion.

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    In my opinion, no, you don't require new tiles to make a great hack. Sure, it makes it look good, but I only believe in hacks that are based of their features, storyline and scripts, that's what makes it a lot more interesting.

I find it hard to find the right tiles for a hack, and find it hard to insert them the "right" way, so I normally use the normal FR tiles, and maybe do some changes there and there. However, I'm kinda a perfectionist, so if the tile isn't perfect, I simply won't add it. :/

If you can't insert tiles, then don't. But if you can, but don't want new tiles, then don't.
    It's your hack, it's your choice.

I've also noticed that when people are looking at screenshots they only care about graphics, and if it isn't good enough, they leave and don't bother. (I'm not pointing at PC members, but lazy visitors, etc.)

Last edited:

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
    well it depend on your feel,some tile are needed for certain script like radio tower,etc and it also depend on the map feeling and so tile aren't to important only if needed

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    I'd start the Hack without them, then if you still want them, insert them when you already have most of it done. if you need certain tiles, for gyms or other places for sure, do that, but keep it simple.

NEW TILES AREN'T NECESSARY!
    They just help with the looks a little, yet most hacks start with the given tiles, and add new ones later.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2013
    well just listen to MY OPINION!!!

i thing a good hack is not based on the tilesets or diemand and perl pokemon
    a real good hack is creative ! awesome map desgins and a good story OWN pokemon and just ...creativeness THAT makes a good hack no tiles no scripts .... so if someone wants to laugh at me now ... i dont care ....

Years
    well just listen to MY OPINION!!!

i thing a good hack is not based on the tilesets or diemand and perl pokemon
    a real good hack is creative ! awesome map desgins and a good story OWN pokemon and just ...creativeness THAT makes a good hack no tiles no scripts .... so if someone wants to laugh at me now ... i dont care ....
    A good, original story requires new scripts, simple as that. What you described is using Advance Map, and that's it. You need new scripts in a hack, if you want it to be good, no one's going to agree with it being decent if it just has different maps.

Years
    It's not necessary. The story and plot are the most important in making a ROM Hack. It is also important to know hex editing too. I voted for Azure Horizons/ Identity for HotM for that reason kinda. I think using tiles from other Pokemon games like Fire Red/ Emerald might not count for new tiles, I'm not completely sure.

Back