• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think it's acceptable for one to date their own cousin?

Gilgαmesh

Decided to make this a straightforward topic than vague. I guess it helps that way? lol. Anyway, going to go with a few "disclaimers" or something here. First of all, don't give me weird looks. :( In a lot of cultures, dating one's cousin is actually perfectly acceptable, as well as having intimate relationships and all that kinds of stuff with them. at least have a cool enough head to respond to the topic in a level-headed manner, yes?

In a way, I don't consider this incest, because hey, they're not an immediate part of your family, and even if certain sexual activity does happen and whatnot, chances are, the child won't be born with deformities and the such. So I guess this kinda makes it okay in my eyes.

What do you think PC? I guess you can say I'm kind of in the middle and "eh" about it, but then again, I don't really mind it at the same time. n__n;

...And by the way, yes, this is a serious thread. I was confused about whether to make it in either OVP or OC, but I guess this would be the place to make the topic since it seemed more or less controversial. I'm incorrect, Nick can help move it to OVP or something. xD;

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
  • If they knew they were related, I would have had to be raised in one of those accepting cultures to accept it more than if they didn't know they were cousins. However, I honestly wouldn't mind it all that much if they didn't really bother mentioning it like it's something to brag about. To each their own, right?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Speaking of knowing, I can't remember what country but I think I read about a brother and sister having a kid together.

They were a year apart, but both were in fostercare. They never knew each other and just randomly met in a bar.

I can't remember where I read this, but i'll try to find it.

Anyway, nothing agenst cousins dating each other but its not something that I would do.

Zet

Years
  • Depends how distant they are. If they're distant enough that the possibility of deformities is low(like really really low), I guess it would be acceptable for them to do stuff.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • No. They're practically siblings, their parents are anyway. Not enough gene pool mixing. It'll cause problems.
    Do you have proof to back this up?

IMO, cousins together are fine. Free love, right? Though they should make themselves aware of any risks if they plan to have children; apparently doctors can tell if they'll have a seriously abnormal child. /shrug

Zet

Years
  • Do you have proof to back this up?

IMO, cousins together are fine. Free love, right? Though they should make themselves aware of any risks if they plan to have children; apparently doctors can tell if they'll have a seriously abnormal child. /shrug

By saying free love, do you also approve of siblings having kids together?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I think anybody should be able to love whoever they want. If it comes from a little closer in the bloodlines than other people are comfortable with, then that's their problem and not yours. Children are a tricky issue however, because it would still be a higher chance of deformity than having a child with someone who was not related to you at all. So I would be hesitant about saying it's OK to have children with your cousin, but if you want to date them, love them, marry them, then who am I to judge?

Years
  • Its actually misconception that incest causes an immediate and horrifying amount of mutations in offspring. Its usually takes generations of inbreeding before the chances get very high and it usually has to be direct relatives as in brother+sister or parent+child. Two cousins having sexual relations that result in children I think only have a 4.4% chance higher of having genetic abnormalities. Some people would say any increase is to much but that makes no sense as anything can rise the chances of genetic mutations. Also I read about a study that in same cases, inbreeding actually increases fertility, though that was between people who were third cousins.

As far as how I feel about it I really don't care, but then I only have three female cousins and only one of them, who I don't find particularly attractive is even close to my age, so its hard for me to say how I personally would deal with it. For two other people, if they love each other, then hey, just take precautions to protect any possible children from birth defects and so what.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years

• By saying free love, do you also approve of siblings having kids together?
    What Andy said.

Love =/= having children. That's why I said that bit about having kids. They should know the risks if they want to have kids and I believe if the combination of genes would result in debilitating physical or mental handicaps then the couple absolutely should not have children. That also applies to anyone who has a high chance of producing offspring with those types of handicaps, not just inter-familial relationships.

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
    Years
  • You can't help who you fall in love with. This happens more often than you'd actually think, but personally, both my cousins are ugly so nah, I would not tap dat.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    lol I think I had a crush on one of my cousins when I was a little kid :x

Buuut idk, the whole idea of actually being -with- someone related to you is sort of creepy to me. I wouldn't do it but if others really want to then they can (just would be weird if you find out and be like "oh hey you're my cousin" "whaaaaaaat").

However sibling relationships or parent to child relationships I don't think is a good idea at all really. Idk I guess it's the society I've been brought up in as mentioned. I guess the chances of love could kind of make sense since in general siblings usually have things in common, aka brought up in same family etc so they might be attracted more due to having common interests.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • I would never dream of doing it.

But for someone else... I'd definitely would not say I am for allowing those with certain percentages of shared blood to have children because they are very likely to have health problems. Although it creeps me out, I can't enforce others to not be able to get married/date so I'd have to say it should be "legally" acceptable.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016

Honestly, the way I've been brought up. The sound of it does make it sound kind of well, crazy to me. But I can understand these sorts of things. I just don't think I'd do it, or rather any other person I know. :x It's weird.

Having a child? I read something in a life mag about this couple that didn't know they were cousins and had a few children. They looked fine. xD;

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • I don't see a problem with this, love is love it's up to them if they want to date eachother.
    I do recall seeing evidence that having children with your cousin has as much chance of genetic la-di-da as dating someone you're not related too, and, in the past you could marry your cousin and no one would bat an eyelid - It's highly likely every single one of us has family members who were related to eachother by blood and were together.
    While I wouldn't do it myself just because I don't really see any of my cousins as being attractive I don't see a problem with it or understand why so many people are against it.

Who is anyone to judge who someone else loves anyway? Is it hurting you? If you don't like it, don't do it it's hardly as if you're forced to date a cousin.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I personally would never even look at a cousin in that sort of way. Being brought up, my cousin was my best friend. But I just couldn't imagine going in for dating them or something, knowing they were related to me. However, if I fell in love with someone and later figured out they were a cousin, I don't know if I would really care, cause I'd already be in too deep or something haha.
    I agree about it also being a factor of the distance--first cousin vs. fifth cousin, etc.
    Having children with a cousin though wouldn't really make much of a difference in where it messes up genes or anything like that, unless there was a long line of it in your family. Royal families from England used to marry and have children with their cousins to keep "royal blood" and it caused to children to have things like Anemia and things like that.
    A lot of people where I live make fun of it, and laugh at the idea of loving a cousin in that way, but I guess it's just a matter of the situation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Nobody is getting hurt so I don't see why anyone should consider it unacceptable.

It was commonplace in previous centuries.

I think the "they shouldn't have children" argument is silly too. It's no different to the debate about banning disabled people from having children; we might as well just do tests on any potential parents to check if they've got any risky recessive genes.

If any random pair of scumbags can legally have a child together, why should cousins not be able to?

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Vendak made the point that I was thinking about when I first saw this thread. The only real reason for having marriage of cousins, etc. illegal is due to the genes and possible deformities. But, look at someone with a genetic disease that has a 50/50 chance of being passed on or something like that. Do we make it illegal for them to marry and have children? Why are the cousins any different?

Although the question of legality is completely separate from the question of right and wrong, so. If I was in that situation (either disabled genetically or with a family member), if I wanted children I would adopt.

Dr. McNinja

Sir Harold of England
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2011
    Your children will be your own second cousin?
    Besides, it's just... weird.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    One of my cousins is absolutely gorgeous and a really cool person, and there's no real chance I could have a kid with him. I know he's gay...

But no. I wouldn't. No particular reason, I just guess the concept is a little weird to me. Having said that, is it acceptable? Sure, whatever floats your boat.

Back