• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think it's OK to hack?

Do you Think its OK to hack a game?

• Total voters

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    I think that it is fine to hack so long as you don't sell your game or make a profit of any kind. It is a fangame, It is made by fans for fans to play. so It should be for sheer enjoyment.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Unless you're doing for any other reason than the fact that it's fun, then I think hacking is ok.

^Did that make sense?^

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
    I think that Hacking is perfectly fine unless you use it to make your own profits

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    What's wrong with rom hacking? As long as you own a hard copy of the game then it's perfectly legal and most rom hacks improve games.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    As long as you own a hard copy of the game then it's perfectly legal
    This is not true. The only legal way to own a Nintendo ROM is to dump it yourself, directly from the cartridge.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
    I agree! We hack becouse we want to make our own games of own personal pleasure.
    Soo...nothing's wrong with hacking

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
    Hacking is totally fine!
    But this noob, Boisvert, keeps saying that Hacking illegal, bla, bla, bla....
    Who cares? Even it is illegal, we'll still hack them. We'll do it whatever it takes.

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Of course! Basically Hacking a ROM is making user created content but with a base to it, so your like, not starting from scratch. Yeah, some would say it's illegal and stuff, but I don't think there is anything wrong about it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2016
    Legal so long as you have the game, I believe?
    And yeah, it's fine. But I'm not too good >_>

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    This is not true. The only legal way to own a Nintendo ROM is to dump it yourself, directly from the cartridge.
    Well you are right for most parts. Self-dumping ROMs would be a reasonable legal way (pretty hard to argue with that logic). However, there is no legal authority (a case or legislation) on whether you can or cannot play a back up of a game you own (back up game not being genuine).

The reason for complication is that you have a legal license to use/play the game. Since it is data, even though you have no license over the unowned game data itself is not just a physical ownership (it is a license to be use/play the data, not just ownership of data/Cartridge). Again, this would be the other view, and there is no legal authority for it. Good ole LAW~~~ 4 more freaking years~!

To put it in a simple term for license, the software you paid and downloaded and the software you paid and got the CD for, both have right to use the data. It is irrelevant whether someone owns the CD (Cartridge) or does not.

If all argument fails, if you can prove you never play the ROM on the cartage that you bought and just played the ROM you downloaded after buying, that would be a reasonable reason for misuse of the license (saying that you did not know helps in cases with no statue or authorities. I'm serious!).

What's wrong with rom hacking? As long as you own a hard copy of the game then it's perfectly legal and most rom hacks improve games.
    Said before, no legal authority on that.
    In fact game modifications are usually praised ----> Counter-Strike (they were even hired by Half Life Staff)
    However, on moral grounds, how would you feel if people didn't ask for permissions for editing for a game you made. To be more relevant in this forum,
    "How would you feel if someone modified your hacked Pokemon Rom you spent hours and hours on and put their name on the ROM WITHOUT ASKING!?!? #!@$#$%@$@%!!!~"

On license I'm pretty sure it says you cannot modify the ROM.
    Since it's not even written in bold I dun care!
    [FONT=&quot] "…a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ll I say is that it is [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] so [/FONT][FONT=&quot]destructive of rights tha[/FONT][FONT=&quot]t the court should not hold any ma[/FONT][FONT=&quot]n bound by it unless it is drawn to his attention in the most explicit way[/FONT]" [FONT=&quot]
    - Thornton v Shoe Lane Parking Ltd [1971] 2 QB 163
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot] at 170 per [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Denning MR[/FONT]

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
    Years
    It's fun, heck; I've tried a bit myself. For the love of all things holy though, don't try to hack for profit, that's when things can go wrong for everyone.

Ashitaka

Spirit of Snorlax
    Years
    Saying hacking is wrong is simply silly. Unless it's used for commercial gain using copyrighted materials (in this case, copyrighted characters, concepts etc.) hacking is no more sinister than drawing a picture of your favorite anime/video game character. It's a fan work created by fans, for fans with no intent to infringe on any copyright and it does absolutely no damage to the copyright holder in any way, nor does it illegally use copyrighted material for unauthorized monetary gain. Downloading the ROMs to hack, if you don't own them that is, is wrong, but it falls under software piracy, which is a whole different area of concern than game hacking.

To be more relevant in this forum,
    "How would you feel if someone modified your hacked Pokemon Rom you spent hours and hours on and put their name on the ROM WITHOUT ASKING!?!? #!@$#$%@$@%!!!~"

That's a flawed argument though. For one, everyone knows who the creators of the original games are, and technically, everyone who plays the hacks HAVE to own the actual game in order to legally own a copy of the ROM with which they use the patch file in question, therefore anyone who legally uses a hack would know about the original game. As long as the hacker does nothing to enable the player to illegally obtain a copy of the actual ROM in question, they can't be held responsible, and either way, they're only distributing a small file that does nothing without the direct consent and conscious decision on the part of the player themselves. I've also never seen a hack that claims to have made or own the original ROM in any way, shape or form. And in the end, copyright laws are created and enforced solely to protect the ability for a copyright holder to fully use and profit from their own creation in any way they chose, so if a given person does nothing to infringe on their ability to use or profit from their ideas, then no wrong-doing has occurred.

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    If ya ask me, hackin' a Pokémon game would be, like, findin' a picture of a famous paintin', say, Michelangeos' Creation of Adam, on the internet, open it on msPaint, drawin' a mustauche on it, and show it to others on a Forum. And what's wrong with that, it even trains your skills in drawing mustauches :mudkip^_^:.

Back