• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think it's OK to hack?

Do you Think its OK to hack a game?

• Total voters

gkenzx

The Black Shadow
Years
  • To me a ROM hack is an improvement with the multitude of hacks across the internet you think Nintendo would've learned by now that the SAME story 20 times isn't good and thats one of the reasons hacking is good, to add twists, a new story, new creatures, and actually challanging challenges.

And with that i end (that really sounded better in my head xD)

Chileno4Live

«Step into the light with me.»
    Years
  • I think rom hacking is perfectly fine as long as you don't use it for selling purposes. If you rom hack just for the fun and you like to make your own pokemon game, that's completely fine with me.

Rocka210

The Code Never Bothered Me Anyway
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 29, 2015
    They say as long as you have the original game of the game your hacking
    EX Firered
    It's OK

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    That's a flawed argument though. For one, everyone knows who the creators of the original games are, and technically, everyone who plays the hacks HAVE to own the actual game in order to legally own a copy of the ROM with which they use the patch file in question, therefore anyone who legally uses a hack would know about the original game. As long as the hacker does nothing to enable the player to illegally obtain a copy of the actual ROM in question, they can't be held responsible, and either way, they're only distributing a small file that does nothing without the direct consent and conscious decision on the part of the player themselves. I've also never seen a hack that claims to have made or own the original ROM in any way, shape or form. And in the end, copyright laws are created and enforced solely to protect the ability for a copyright holder to fully use and profit from their own creation in any way they chose, so if a given person does nothing to infringe on their ability to use or profit from their ideas, then no wrong-doing has occurred.

Sighs... there is terms of agreement (or license) to every DS game. Dun say things you don't understand. If it is not breach of IP (intellectual property) which it is (it covers modification), you are breaching the license. However, again there is no precedent for such cases as of yet (for ROM modifications). Adding more facts it is irrelevant if one makes no profit out of it. It's an intellectual property, if you read copyright laws (which i had to) there is a term called "distribution". Distribution itself is breach of IP. Hacking would be okay (or doing anything you want with it) if it was not distributed.

for your so called "flawed argument" the wrong is doing without permission. I never said erasing original hacker's name. If someone adds more stuff and put their name on it, says "originally by ". Without permission it's a reasonable argument. Since you would not be to happy with that (if you were a reasonable person in this case). If you worked 100's of hours on it and someone just adds a new berry system on your hack and says edited by ~~~. It is wrong (again without permission). Legally , not wrong. Since you are not covered by intellectual property for the hacking since you are breach of it already from hacking the rom in the first place.

Last edited:

kickbuttplaya

has learned a give poke script
    Years
  • i enjoy it

I enjoy hacking alot but i dont know about some others
    EDIT:I also own the game i hack :P and i beat the game w/o hacks now its funner with hacks

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
  • i think hacking is ok. like the run through everything hack or the ifinite balls hack. there fun.

i dont thnk its ok to make fake pokemon though. there fun and its cool to say you have them but its kinda.. i dnt know... what real reason do you have to make them. the orginal pokemon games are just fine and are plenty fun.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2013
    I say its fine to hack, but not STEAL. As long as the game is changed enough from the original and you can claim it was a creation of your own, I dont see why you shouldnt be able to hack a game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    i think its ok because the pokemon games sometimes are easy (4 example the old red that i finish in 1 day xD)

insectduel

ROM-Hacker, YouTube content creator
    Years
  • Nothing wrong with it and I've done it in the past 5 years. The only bother me since I made my own site is redistribution of other people's IPS (Other type) Patches.

Sometimes, I love to make movies based on ROM Screenshots from original games and never edit.

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
    Years
  • hacking isnt wrong we are actually doing good for nintendo, one of us from PC may get a job in nintendo where you help make a pokemon game :P

Years
  • I think hacking is just fine I think it is a good thing to hack because if the producer of the game/games quit developing the games then we keep them going because we are hacking and or makeing our own version of the game so there for it still lives on!! so I think it is a good thing for hacking!!!!

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    Nothing wrong with it and I've done it in the past 5 years. The only bother me since I made my own site is redistribution of other people's IPS (Other type) Patches.

Sometimes, I love to make movies based on ROM Screenshots from original games and never edit.

sorry to tell you copyright law, states 70 years after author's death, 100 years for company (may vary slightly where you live and depends on reasonableness but nevertheless around that)
    Yeah it sux but look at it this way, if u make something, it's protected after you are dead

I reckons a lot of ppl think IPS distribution is okay. I can't argue with this at all, it is literally a gray area. Because you aren't distributing the ROM, but ROM modification data, and it is in the player's will to modify the ROM (though this satisfies my definition of distribution, I don't think it's a general definition).
    The thing is the license says you can't modify your ROM (yep, says it). However, this term is unjust, think about it. If I bought a monitor with a license, "cannot modify the monitor", I doubt they can sue if I made it into a TV. Why? Does not help the interest of the Copyright Act. If you sold or distributed (gave it away), it would be a problem. However, if you made a video how to change a monitor to a TV, doubt they can do anything about it.

On the other hand, if the ROM hack disturbs the sales of current ROM (Diamond/sapphire/Platnium), that also may be a problem (this isn't really copyright law from here, pure economic loss).

It's in a gray area. If ROM makers had a way to stop ROM hackers, they would have done it already (ROM dumping for that matter).

Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2010
    The only way that I see anything bad coming out of Hacking, is if you try and make a profit off of it, for that is illegal. Other than that, it's a way to write a story, but have others play out the story, instead of reading it.

icemanya

♥♥♥♥♥
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2010
    Now my question to you guys is.
    Is it called hacking or modding?

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2010
    Hacking is not only okay, it is frigging awesomely good. It is one of the many pools that are spawning the next generation of gamemakers!

xSeduction

Water Pokemon Fanatic
    Years
  • -Facedesks-
    You guys have got it all wrong.
    Downloading the official version of a game in the form of a rom is legal only if you own a genuine hardcopy of the game.
    HACKING the MATERIAL from a copyrighted game is in no way, shape, or form legal in any standard.
    Hacking is altering.
    Altering is illegal.
    Do the math.

..Now before everyone flames me, I must say this:
    I love playing hacked roms. Who doesn't?
    I just wanted to clear the air.
    Intelligence is a virtue. Think before you speak.

..Well actually I haven't researched any of what I just said, so I could easily be wrong. Sorry.
    It's just what I think. My opinion. Whatever. Well.. Not really an opinion. More of a guess. ANYWAYS.

I don't think hacking roms is right, persay, but I must agree that trying out different remakes and versions of the same game is a lot of fun.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    sorry to tell you copyright law, states 70 years after author's death, 100 years for company (may vary slightly where you live and depends on reasonableness but nevertheless around that)
    Yeah it sux but look at it this way, if u make something, it's protected after you are dead

I reckons a lot of ppl think IPS distribution is okay. I can't argue with this at all, it is literally a gray area. Because you aren't distributing the ROM, but ROM modification data, and it is in the player's will to modify the ROM (though this satisfies my definition of distribution, I don't think it's a general definition).
    The thing is the license says you can't modify your ROM (yep, says it). However, this term is unjust, think about it. If I bought a monitor with a license, "cannot modify the monitor", I doubt they can sue if I made it into a TV. Why? Does not help the interest of the Copyright Act. If you sold or distributed (gave it away), it would be a problem. However, if you made a video how to change a monitor to a TV, doubt they can do anything about it.

On the other hand, if the ROM hack disturbs the sales of current ROM (Diamond/sapphire/Platnium), that also may be a problem (this isn't really copyright law from here, pure economic loss).

It's in a gray area. If ROM makers had a way to stop ROM hackers, they would have done it already (ROM dumping for that matter).

I agree, If ROM makers don't agree then hacking would be illegal and hackers would be caught and brought to jail.

Back