• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think it's OK to hack?

Do you Think its OK to hack a game?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    Downloading the official version of a game in the form of a rom is legal only if you own a genuine hardcopy of the game.

I may be going a bit off topic here, but I just wanted to make it clear that this isn't completely true. Private ownership of a ROM for a commercial game is only legal in some countries (this does not include the US), even if you do own the original cartridge. Even in the case it is legal in your country, yes, it is only for backup purposes, not modification as you mentioned in your post.

Nintendo doesn't really care whether you plan to modify and sell one of their games, it's still something that one could easily be fined for. To those who say that companies are not taking action regarding this, just try to find a rom of, for example, Super Mario World. For me, doing so yields many, many results, but on closer inspection, almost none are available for download to to ESA protection. So yes, in some cases it is very illegal to create a rom hack.

Last edited:

Infamous Amos

ALL BIDOOF IN MY WAY WILL FALL
    Years
  • Well, ROM hacking is basicly making a derivative work without the copyright holder's consent. You could possibly be sued for it. I have seen a few times where Square Enix has threatened to take legal action against rom hackers and, in one case, a group who was gonna remake one of their games.

-Facedesks-
    You guys have got it all wrong.
    Downloading the official version of a game in the form of a rom is legal only if you own a genuine hardcopy of the game.
    From what I have heard it is still illegal.
    I have also heard though that it is still illegal even if you rip the rom data yourself. Something about a court ruling that it isn't covered by fair use or something... I had the link somewhere...

Years
  • Well, ROM hacking is basicly making a derivative work without the copyright holder's consent. You could possibly be sued for it. I have seen a few times where Square Enix has threatened to take legal action against rom hackers and, in one case, a group who was gonna remake one of their games.

From what I have heard it is still illegal.
    I have also heard though that it is still illegal even if you rip the rom data yourself. Something about a court ruling that it isn't covered by fair use or something... I had the link somewhere...

Wow I did not know that I always heard if you have a hard copy laying around the house they cant do nothing I guess I was wrong But I don't Think I Am I think you can have the rom's if it is a hark copy Guess I will have to Look into that even harder...lol. ^.^

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2013
    yes and i think it even will help to the official company to make beter games...

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
    Years
  • actually even if you own a hard copy of the game it is still illegal to hack because that would be modifying the game which is against the law to do without the permission of the company who owns rights to whatever game ur changing, although i do think that law shouldnt apply if the person hacking is not using it to make money, but sadly its still against the law, the only thing is that some companies such as nintendo tend to overlook it because we arent selling the games...other companies like igg and moliyo enforce that law...i used to run a private server for Tales of pirates, and someone else who was running a server got sued by moliyo because they didnt have rights so i shut mine down, not to mention now on the tales of pirates site they constantly put a reminder saying that no1 but igg, moliyo, and some asian company have rights to run the game, and if someone is found to be running it then they will be sued to the full extent that the law allows.

Back