• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think older people make better leaders?

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
  • Do you think that older people make better leaders than younger people/minors?

As for me, I don't really know. I've seen some people with the intellect of people much older than them, and especially on PC. Whether that makes them a good leader or not, I also don't know. Really, it's all down to how determined said person is and how far they're willing to go for the people they're leading, in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I think older people have lived enough life to know what's good and what's bad, but I think young people can thrive when given control. PC is a good example. The place is maintained well and isn't a mess, so obviously something is going right.

Brush

Walking PokeDex
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 15, 2009
    No, intelligent people make better leaders. Older people may be slackers of some sort, you need the intelligent and wise people to lead you through any sorts of rough spots. They always know what to do...

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Not necessarily. Younger people can lead people just as well as old people, it's just sometimes people don't want to be lead by someone younger than them. Also I think people can be too old to be leaders, but I'm not sure how old that would be.

Years
  • I suppose older people are known to have more worldly knowledge and experience from being around much longer, but I'm afraid I've seen my own fair share of immature 21+ year olds on this forum to base that full opinion smack on this post. But I do say that older people are more likely to show maturity and more worldly knowledge than perhaps any aimless kids roaming around. To be honest, I've never been one to judge anybody by their age on PC, more by the way they just portray themselves.

Years
  • I don't think that. Just because someone is older that doesn't mean they have what it takes to be a leader. It all depends on how the person can deal with stress and hardships. If the "leader" can deal with that stuff and still show progess then they are a true leader.

Bay

Years
  • I'm actually taking a business course on leadership, so a bit of business nerdgasm here. :P

In a way, older people can make better leaders when taking about experience. Being a leader takes practice, good character, and good people judgment (I won't get too much detail in that). :P However, in the end, age doesn't matter. Experience is one thing, but also determination and quick learning is another. A good leader can be of a young person that learns the skills of one fast and also learns his/her mistakes fast.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Siggy's post + the following:

Look at people like Dukey who are only 14 yet outshine some of us in the 18 - 21 category and look at people in our very own staff that are really young but mature for their age u3u It's not about your age so much as it's about your life experiences and where you are with them. Sometimes people with bad chlidhood experiences grow up quickly for survival and sometimes people with great childhood experiences grow up just as quickly. Everyone has their immature quirks here and there and as you start to learn at your own pace, you find out how to either suppress those quirks or iron them out so they're not as immature. :3

To me, a Mature Person I can follow is someone who can do the right thing, even if it sucks to do the right thing and if it causes problems for you, and some people learn how to do that at 12, other 15, others 25.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Not always, anyone could be a good leader if they set their minds to it. But mostly older people are since they have more experience.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I don't think age matters that much in a good leader. I think that, when it comes to children, the majority are unfit to lead anything, but there are some that would make wonderful leaders. As for older people, that's a really broad age range. Like 18 is technically an adult, but so is 60. In my opinion, age can't make someone a leader, their personality plays a large part as well.

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
  • Natural leadership can be found in anyone, regardless of age. Wisdom is developed over time, and perhaps that can aid in leadership skills, but often times it's more personality than knowledge to lead.

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
  • Not necessarily, but it can be a factor. With age comes wisdom, experience, and understanding. Is that everything in a leader? No, but it can be helpful.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    yes I do. I think that older people have the experience we need nowadays. of course we need young people for modern tec.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Natural leadership can be found in anyone, regardless of age. Wisdom is developed over time, and perhaps that can aid in leadership skills, but often times it's more personality than knowledge to lead.

Intelligence is a factor, age is not.

Like that. Though of course age is a factor, if you're 14 and supposed to be the leader of 18-year olds, it would take quite a personality in the 14 year old for the older people to listen.

Also, a 24 year old leader/boss/something who is supposed to rule over 50 year olds can probably cause some problems, mostly due to older people thinking they know better than younger.

These were... examples XD I don't really think it's got a lot to do with age. It's personality; either you're born to be a natural leader, or you're not. That's what I believe. You can probably become better by learning more, but still..

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • it just depends on their skills as bein' a leader. I don't think age has anythin' to do with it.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
  • Depends on the person.
    Some older people are really stupid.
    There are some young people who could really lead people as well.
    It all depends.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Aren't older people supposed to be wiser?

I actually think that this is true. An older person is by far more likley to know the result of an action rather then a less experienced adult. Look at Franklin D. Rooselvelt. He was the president during a war, and he was pretty smart. Went for 4 terms. =3

Back