• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokémon is childish?

Do you think of Pokémon as a kid's series?

• Total voters

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
    The anime probably is (except for a few episodes namely EP018).

The games? Hell no. These actually require real strategy to play especially D/P/P. Charging into battles without a real plan (like most kids do) will screw you up bigtime.

Ranken

change is good.
    Years
    I don't really think that pokemon isn't childish many adults play the game too, so no. I think only the anim is childish.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
    Pokemon is not childish at all, and neither is the Anime. The only thing I would say that might be considered childish is the Toys. Basically as soon as people get to a certain age or maybe a certain period of school aka in the UK High School. They automatically assume that Pokemon is for children and won't usually talk about it at all.

It happened at my School, and all other Schools I know. However I did discover that a lot of the teenagers who I went to School with did play Pokemon secretly, and they just assumed no one else did.

Years
    I think the anime seems childish; but I haven't watched it in ages, so I can't claim to know much about that. I wouldn't really consider the games childish. Kids are able to play them and understand them, but they can pretty much appeal to people of all ages.

Years
    No, I do not. You enjoy what you enjoy. It's the same thing with anyone who likes Yu-Gi-Oh!, Bakugan, One Piece or any other popular anime/show/TCG/Video Game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    i think it is a bit childish but that dosen't mean you have to be a child to like it

Micro SD

HubbaBubba
    Years
    I've never thought it was childish. The T.V. show kinda makes it seem childish to some people, but I think that they just aren't used to the the nature of some anime/manga.

Years
    • FL
    • Seen May 29, 2013
    Is Pokemon aimed at children? Yes. Is it childish? Absolutely not.

The anime may be what makes many believe that it is childish, but many people who never followed Pokemon do not know that the games came much before the anime, and this misleads people.

It is extremely childish for people to make fun of others for what they like. The best thing to do is to respect people for what they like. There are people at my school who like things that could be considered more childish, such as Teletubbies or Sesame Street.

Years
    Yeah, the anime is somewhat childish, the older I get the more and more I've lost interest in that. But the games have always and continue to greatly hold my interest. And I was 17 when I started playing Pokemon.

Brownies

bye PC :D
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2010
    IN my opinion, I think only the anime is really childish, well many people play pokemon even the adults also played it.

Sajin

Pokemon Expert
    Years
    like nobody in my entire school likes pokemon, so i've usally keept to my self with it. I don't think its childish at all though, but it is something our school frowns upon.

ゴンベ

Credit For Drew For The Avi.
    Years
    No i don't think it's chidish at all ... but the TV seris may be =S
    Alot of people ay meh school say its for babies when they used to play it !
    Anyways i think NO its not childish !

ゴンベ

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    I feel like the show is but older people can also enjoy it. I also feel that most kids would get impatiant with the games, while teens and adults wont'.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    well, i did, and was embarrassed that I played it still, Then, one day, I heard some kids talking about how they were playing a Blue version they found. From then on, everytime pokemon would come up, and people acting cool would start trashing it, I defend it and tell people I pay pokemon, and guess what, I found a whole bunch of people around me still playing their pokemon games in secret.

Of course, I only know one person with a gen IV game.

The animae is different. That is definately childish.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    The games are definitely not childish. They might be marketed for children, but anyone can play them. I know adults twice my age who still enjoy playing Pokemon. I've noticed that most people who consider Pokemon childish really have no idea what it's all about.

The anime is another story. As I've said in other threads, I'm currently trying to watch it all the way through, and get caught up with where it is now. Right now, I'm at the Kanto Battle Frontier arc.

I would have to say that while watching Pokemon, I'm probably wearing an expression identical to Wobbuffet's. Why am I subjecting myself to this torture........

There is relatively no pain in the anime. I haven't heard even the slighest foul language. The bad guys never win, and I mean NEVER. The only thing keeping Pokemon from being a complete children's show is Jessie's outfit. Haha. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. Whether it's marketed for children or not, I've been a fan of Pokemon for many years, and I don't see why that should change.

xMiZx

Lazy Battler
    Years
    It's targeted for kids, but I don't think it's childish at all. The anime could be considered childish, but I don't know...solely because we have the American version and not the Japanese version here. Could be a lot of differences show-wise imo. And the game now requires a ton of strategies this time and age.

Last, most of us have started when it debuted, and we're practically grown (*raises hand*). I was elementary school playing it, and I'm in college now. It's targeted for everyone ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2010
    Yeah, you can't deny it's aimed at younger audience. I still think it's pretty fun though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    i do think pokemon is childish...
    but wat can i say i love pokemon
    i would be emarresed if my mates would find out...
    but it kinda makes u feel young in away...
    so overall i love pokemon

Back