• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokemon is "dying"

Guest123_x1

The problem isn't that Pokémon is dying (in fact, it's far from that), it's that it doesn't recieve as much press hype and coverage as it did years ago when it was relatively new and such a big frenzy among youngsters (I remember back in the late 90s that was all my fellow classmates talked about.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I personally think it is. No one I know my age likes pokemon anymore. :(

Given the number of people I've been passing who are also playing the Pokemon X and Y games, there's no chance of the series dying anytime soon. And most of the people I have passed happen to be adults too! Most of them lining up at the GO Transit stations on their way to work. Out of every seven people that get tagged on my StreetPass, at least 2 are playing Pokemon X or Pokemon Y. Perhaps the key is in what you said, that know one your know of in your age group likes Pokemon. What about people outside your age group?

Years
  • I don't think the popularity of Pokemon will ever reach the heights of what it did back during it's first few years, but it's still a highly popular franchise worldwide. Not to mention the fact that the newest games (X/Y) sold as well as they did in a short timeframe, but just going into Target today I found Pokemon toys, plushies, cards and even a few hats. Maybe it's just because as we get older fewer people you know enjoy it, but it still is a franchise marketed towards kids, so it isn't that surprising that it gets less popular in general the older you get.

Typhon

'sup
    Years
  • If Gamefreak keeps making money, the franchise will never die. They'll keep making Pokémon games, which will entertain many people all around the world. And even the games X/Y were released a month ago, so it would make sense that the popularity as risen. I've heard many people from Gen I have gotten back into Pokémon, all because of X/Y. The franchise won't really die; unless they make a horrible game which I doubt will happen, since they have never made a game that's horrible. Gamefreak puts a lot of effort into Pokémon, so it shouldn't. It's quite stable for now.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Considering that Black and White, and X and Y have had some of the largest Pokemon video game sales in years now, I'd say it's still doing pretty well. It's not as main stream as it used to be, because it's not new and shiny anymore, but it definitely still has a lot of fans.

Plenty of people still play Pokemon, they just don't make it obvious anymore.

& The anime ratings, the premiere of X and Y in Japan got almost 6 million views, and that was low because it was on the same time as a huge baseball game.

I don't think it's dying. xD

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokemon aint dying. Although I do think that after they make Z (and possibly Ruby/Sapphire remakes), Game Freak should chill for a few years before making any new main series Pokemon games. They've been busting out a Pokemon game a year since Platinum (Platinum in '09, HG/SS in '10, Black/White in '11, Black2/White2 last year, and X/Y this year). They should slow down before we get a COD/Madden situation. I just hope that Z has all the post-Elite Four content that was in Black2/White2 that X and Y really should've had in them

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    Definitely not. The sales for X and Y in the first few days were incredible.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • Nope! As other's have said, most of my street passes are of people playing X or Y, and that's on a large university campus!

I don't think it's dying at all!

DanteSolablood

Internet Celebrity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I don't think Pokémon is dying at all, there tend to be age gaps caused by peer pressure or lapses in the series strength, but even people in my aging generation are still picking up their 3DSs with their wrinkly ol' hands and slapping pikachus together.

The game will need to go through some big changes in the years to come though, the time when you can simply add a few more 'mon and different map & call it a new game are gone. Once X/Y & MR/AS are out of the way Gamefreak need to rest the franchise and give it a big overhaul!

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    No way. I'll believe it when Nicolas throws his games in the trash. You should've seen him when he heard about x and y.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2014
    Nintendo has announced Pokemon X and Y have managed to sell more than 4 million copies worldwide in two days.
    Sounds like it's a live and well to me.

One of the main things that keeps any game alive is it's competitive scene and I think as long as that is still alive Pokemon will live on. There are major tournaments still still happening in both the video game and TCG. Not to mention sales from anime, merchandise, etc...

Shadeh

KABOOM!
    Years
  • HAH! of course not, though I see the child Affection is lowering, I see more High Schoolers playing it.....Like myself, lol, It won't die for a LONG time

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I live in nampa Idaho, a city with a population of roughly 100000 people counting the suburbs and rural area. I visit most of the stores in my area, and I barely see a change in the products being sold, other than a shift in the actual merchandise sold. No one's seeming to bother with buying trading cards, pokemon dolls or toys, or even cards or toys, for that matter. I don't know what's up with my city, but there's a lack of love for the children. Every parent is busy with their lives, running to and from work, both of them, sending their kids to school and to daycare or babysitting or whatever. They're kids may even get a semi-job volunteering instead of staying home playing videogames. It's disgusting.

I on the other hand, enjoy at least a little break. But I don't even get that kind of privaledge, being 21 still at my parent's home under their rules (don't get me started). I watch and learned the society of my community and found that we're an orderly and dedicated society... too dedicated... putting work over family and friends. Not even the kids get a break. I feel kind of lonely being the only kid... erhm... adult... left in my community now who still seems to be hooked on pokemon for who knows what reason. Yet, no matter how hooked I am, I still do not own a 3DS or pokemon X/Y/Z, because of money situation, and no one's willing to hire me because of my irresponsibility.

I haven't been monitoring Caldwell, Meridian, or Boise, but by the way my city works, it's safe to say that it's business oriented, and does not care much about pokemon.

Now, possibly because of it's isolation from everywhere else (mass population centers), it's been that way for a long time and will stay that way for a long time. But I got a feeling that there's similarity in even mass population centers. Think about this... only the kids who saw and grew up with pokemon even care about pokemon to this date, and right now... they are 15-21. But what about the younger kids? Probably not so much... they are into the newer age of toys, games, and releases.

Is pokemon really dying? Not now... not yet. But when our generation comes to a close... it depends.

I don't know... X/Y/Z was a good release, but not good enough to catch the attention of younger kids. Pokemon, I say, is an outdated theory. Nintendo needs to come up with something similar, but new. Brand New. Something no one would expect. That way, the new generation would ask "What is this game?" and would finally have their eyes set upon something Nintendo has to offer.

If Nintendo does not Veer from Mario's World (the entire mario spectrum), Zelda/Link's World, Fire Emblem, and those games, put their heads together, and come up with a fresh new idea, I believe... they're sunk.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    Well I don't think that the Pokémon is dying and I like the idea of X and Y but somehow I don't like the new pokémon much. But I guess I'm just too conservative.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 1, 2021
    I personally think it is. No one I know my age likes pokemon anymore. :(

Then you just simply don't know anyone that does. I personally don't know anyone that's ever been into my little pony, doesn't mean it's not popular though.

Plenty people your age and older still play, my dad was laughing the other day because they hired a new tech at his work who has a bunch of Pokemon dolls on his desk. The tech is 28. X and Y is officially the fastest selling 3Ds game selling well over 4 million in the first two days of release. Pokemon has changed, but it's not dying, it'll be around for a long time to come.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • It's nowhere near death, X & Y broke sale records apparently.
    However, it can use a bit more recognition in other areas of the world...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • If its latest installment doesn't surpass the sales of the first Pokemon games or breaks the fanbase into smaller pieces, then yes, the franchise will be dying, because sales and critical acclaims matter to determine the quality of a game and the current state of a franchise. For example: Skyward Sword was suppose to be LoZ's biggest installment due to celebrating 25 years, but it failed to surpass OoT's critical acclaim and sales due to falling victim of the Zelda cycle, much like Wind Waker and TP before it, and lost to Skyrim in countless video game awards. Pokemon X and Y must surpass Pokemon Red/Blue's sales and win as many awards as possible in order to keep the franchise alive if it wants to be in the same ranks as Mario and Zelda as the three holy cash cows.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 1, 2021
    For those of you that are wondering the sales per generation are as the following.

Gen 1(Red, Blue, Green, Yellow): 46 Million
    Gen 2(Gold, Silver, Crystal): 29.49 Million
    Gen 3(Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen): 32.75 Million
    Gen 4(Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold,SoulSilver): 37.20 Million
    Gen 5(Black/2, White/2): 21.57 Million
    So far in the first few months of Gen 6 X & Y have sold 6.78 Million.

For a point of reference, no Zelda Game, which I would still consider a success, has ever broken the 10 million mark, OoT's sales were 7.8, while TP's total sales were 8.39. Halo another huge franchise is in the same boat as Zelda, Halo sold 5 million, Halo 2 and 3 each sold 8 million and Halo 4 sold 8.52 million.

Anyways I'll stop throwing numbers out there, point is none of those franchises are considered dying and Pokemon is still going strong.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    There's no way that Pokemon is dying. I think that the fan base increased with the release of XY. I think that Pokemon will keep growing larger because of the release of all of the games, and the anime (which is even bigger in Japan). Many of us may not know anyone else that doesn't like pokemon because it may not be as big where we live, or not as many people our age play it.

Back