• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think scientists will ever be able to genetically design pokemon in RL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • real pokemon would probably look like this

https://blog.thaeger.com/2011/07/30/realistic-pokemon/

and "No me gusta " :/

Those...are pretty creepy, especially the Poliwrath one. Unfortunately, that would probably how most of them would look like in real life.

Even so, I have to agree that Pokemon will not appear in real life. Maybe they will create some crazy animals through genetics, but they probably won't look like Pokemon (even if it's something like an electric rodent). Still a really cool thought, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Pokemon will never appear in real life. It's just silly to think otherwise. Why would scientists want to create ficitional creatures from a child's video game? We have far more important issues to worry about than trying to make pretend animals originally made for kids actually exist. Besides, animals might be able to be altered to have features of Pokemon, but actually truly resembling them won't happen. And even if they did produce a purple rat, I would refuse to call it Rattata or a Pokemon at all.

I say, leave Pokemon in the video games where they belong.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I highly doubt it, but anything is possible. To much of my knowledge, Scientists haven't invested research into genetics in years. There really hasn't been much major discoveries since at least 2003. Though I'm not entirely sure. But there hasn't been much focus on it in recent years. As of right now scientists are more focused on studying robotic technology and nanotechnology.
    Though maybe in a good 100 years after they're done focusing on robotic technology, they'll come back to genetics, but it's very unlikely they'll try making Pokemon. Maybe animals similar to Pokemon, but they would have lack of qualities that make up a Pokemon. Such as, they would probably not have attacks or stats. And as others mentioned, real Pokemon would be creepy and not as cute as they appear in the game.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Do I think scientists will ever be able to genetically engineer squirrels that shoot lightening out of their faces?

Yes.. Yes I do

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    I think it would interesting if scientists found a way to create pokemon, but it would probably take hundreds of years.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Nope. I don't see that happening, they wouldn't even be interested in it. But it'd be cool, I guess.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2013
    I would pay a houses worth for a pikachu without attacks.
    Honestly you yourself could teach it tackle and way more for
    pokeballs

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Ew, no. I hope not.

Part of the fun in Pokémon is that they aren't realistic. I'm freaking out thinking of it because something's gotta give. Realistic Pokémon being genetically engineered animals means that either Pokémon lose a LOT of what separates them from regular animals, magic powers nonwithstanding, or it's going to reach unbelievably high uncanny valley levels. Like looking at photoshopped animals liquefied to have expressions. Ugh, no thanks.

I'd rather not have Pokémon lose their, uh, Pokemanity, but I don't want to be afraid to leave my house because I'm surrounded by freaks, either. Trust me, all you Eevee fans will not like the Pokémon so much anymore with those huge alien eyes it has.

The real killer, or at least why this'll never happen, is because outside of the fan base and the companies who produce the series, Pokémon is not important enough to be worthy of attention. Not when there's more important things to do like, I dunno, cure cancer.

Years
  • Seeing as they'd have to re-write every fundamental law of physics and genetics to do so, no, lol. The games seem real enough when you're playing them, that's the magic of the series right there. That's the point.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Guys, this thread is over a year old. Let's make a new, fresh one instead.

Do you think scientists will ever be able to genetically design pokemon in RL?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back