• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think there are too many legendary pokemon?

Years
    the number of legendaries increased very quickly recently, gen 1: only 5, gen 2: 6, gen 3: 10! and gen 4: 14!!! i think legendaries should be rare pokemon and few, but isn't that they have been making too many? do you think so? you think in next gen the no of legendaries will decrease or continue to rise?

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
    I don't mind at all. Gives more subplot to the plot.

Seriously, it would be no fun to do this:

i choose you, _______ !
    now, ______ use ______
    yay i win 1st gym

lemme train now
    train train train.

yay i win 8th gym

yay i win the e4.

byebye game

*throws away DS*

Ayselipera

I agree that they're way to many legendary pokemon. Back when the first and second generation were the only games out I felt like legendary pokemon were special. Most of them had great designs and a great story line or maybe even a small legend or myth behind them. I found them enjoyable and I remember being really excited when I encountered one or caught one.

When the third generation came out I was somewhat disappointed. I found the Regis too be kind of boring. They looked too much alike. They didn't have the kind of uniqueness that the birds and beasts did. I also didn't really understand the point of Latias and Latios. I thought they just looked like smaller versions of Lugia. Additionally they didn't really play at all into the story line of RSE. I think the weather trio, Jirachi, and a better version of the Regis was all that game needed. Perhaps you could keep Deoxys just to change up the game a little.

The fourth generation was complete overkill. The only legendaries that should have been kept was the legendary dragons, lake guardians, and either Shaymin or Manaphy to take the role of a cute mew looking pokemon. I'll never really understand the point of Phione or Heatran and although Arceus was interesting it just didn't wow me. Regigigas is a step up from the Regis, but again I just don't feel as if it was needed. I think Darkrai and Cresselia were great ideas. I just wish that they saved them for the next generation. By throwing them into a pile of legendaries they lost their luster and just became white noise.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I like legendary pokemon, even though I never use most of them. I would be happy if we got a lot or a little. The amount doesnt bother me much.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Gen IV was complete legendary overkill, IMO. There are good legendaries, and bad legendaries. The dragon trio and lake trio were good legendaries. Shaymin... well, it has two forms and it can learn Seed Flare. Guess what? Most Pokémon have signature moves and some, like Rotom, can change forms too. The two trios and Arceus are enough.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2013
    Well, to be honest the majority of them have their own role in the world of Pokemon. The three Legendary bird's (Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres) portray a season (Except Autumn). The Mew Duo are amongst the rarest and most powerful in the world. They're the first two Pokemon to be created via Genetics, Mewtwo is simply an enhanced version of the original Mew. The Three Legendary Beasts (Raikou, Entei, Suicine) are similar to the Bird Trio in Generation One. The Tower Duo - Ho-Oh and Lugia. Lugia is the only one who can stop a fight erupting between Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres. Ho-oh sacrificed itself to give life to the Legendary Beasts after they were trapped and burned down in the Brass Tower, resulting in their death. Celebi is the Guardian of the forest, travelling through time to make sure of their purity. The Golem Trio protect the Tree of Beginning. Latias and Latios are considered as legendaries as they protect the city of Alto Mare. They Weather Trio is fairly simple. They represent the balance of Nature. Groudon controls land mass and continental shift. Kyogre expands the seas and Rayquaza is the protector of Skies. Jirachi is special because of it's wish-granting ability. Deoxys - I seriously have no Idea what Deoxys is for.... The Lake Guardians are special because Uxie embodies Knowledge, Mesprit embodies Emotion and Azelf embodies Willpower. Dialga controls time and Plakia controls space and dementions. The Lunar Duo control the dreams of people, Darkrai can induce sleep and cause nightmares, yet Cresselia brings peaceful dreams and cures emotional scars. Manaphy is the Prince of Seas, Phione is Manaphy younger state. Heatran guards Stark Mountain and Prince Tear. Regigigas is the boss of the Three Golems. Shaymin is a gratitude Pokemon. Shaymin is said to purify a Polluted area. AND FINALLY....! Arceus - It's said that Arceus is the God of all Pokemon and Humans alike. It's what created the first Pokemon...

Few....

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Personally I think that only a few should be enough.
    With too many legendary pokemon in one generation it dims the uniqueness of each legendary. Honestly I prefer to only have these legendaries:
    Zapdos , Moltres, Articuno, Ho-oh and Lugia
    (These are the legendary pokemon I really like. 5 Unique birds without going over the top about it.)

Mew, Mewtwo and Celebi.
    I am not really fond of mewtwo but as it plays an important role in the anime, I guess it will have to be included.

Suicune, Entei and Raikou.
    I quite like these but are - like mewtwo - important because they are involved in the concept of ho-oh.

Those are the Pokemon I think should be the only legendaries.
    But these ones might squeeze in:
    Cresselia
    Darkrai
    Shaymin

Years
    legendaries should be pokemon who play important parts to balance of pokemon world, i don't see any role that mewtwo and deoxys have, they're just very powerful pokemon but slaking have same total stat as mewtwo, so why are they considered legendaries?

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
    Yes. I don't know if this is because pokémon fans have grown, and they want strong characters, but there are so many legendaries that their legends start to make no sense. Like Cresselia, she represents the crecent moon. So there will be a legendary for each quarter of the moon? What then, a legendary for each season of the year, each zodiac sign, each planet etc.?

I mean, they're cool and their designs are AMAZING!, but what makes something precious is its rarity. If more legendaries come, they'll be no more legendaries, only strong pokémon.

Emotion.

Mentally Burning Rainbow.
    Years
    Yes, after Johto it became too forced, like they had to think up something quick.

Gen IV was just stupid, it was wayyy too many, ones like Manaphy, Phione, and Creseslia weren't even needed, it seems as if they're only really added to make movies around.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    *chuckles*
    I too agree that Gen IV (maaybe Gen III?) has too many legendaries--

Or really, it has too many "sub-plot" legendaries. What I mean by that is...

Let's look at Gen IV, Sinnoh-- DPPt games. Excluding the whole "get the 8 badges and beat the E4 and the battle tower" and all of that, we have the other plot of Galactic trying to create a new world.

The legendaries involved with THAT are the Lake Trio and the Dragon Trio. Arceus, important as He/She/It is given his/her/its status as The Original One, is not a key component of that plot.

Thusly... every other legenary is a "sub-plot" legendary; they aren't crucial to the main plotlines of the games, but they have their own lil' stories and exist in the canon nonetheless.

So that said, let's look at some numbers:

Gen I: 2 main plots (Mew and Mewtwo), 3 sub-plots (the Bird Trio)
    Gen II: 5 main plots (Ho-oh, Lugia, Beast Trio), 1 sub-plot (Celebii; important, but doesn't exactly play a keyrole in the main plots)
    Gen III: 3 main plots (Rayquaza, Kyogre, Groudon), 7 sub-plots (Jirachi, Deoxys, the Regis, Latios & Latias)
    Gen IV: 6 main plots (Dragon and Lake Trios), 8 sub-plots (Heatran, Regigigas, Phoine, Manaphy, Cresselia, Darkrai, Shaymin, & Arceus)

Of course, these numbers are subject to some change-- Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum all expand upon plots established in their other game compatriots and include a few more legendaries in their main plots.

Still, look at the number of "sub-plots" by Gen III and IV. Certainly, they are all important in their own little mini-plots (ex: Darkrai, Cresselia, and the boy in Canalave and Canalave's Inn), but they play no true role in the main plots (exII: the above example plays no part in Galactic wanting to destroy the world and create a new one in Cyrus' image).

So... there's your problem, right there. They're all wonderful legendaries, and I love a considerable number of them in all four generations, but there are just too many being spawned at one time. It might've been better to spread them out into a possible Gen V region.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yup.Too many.Peopl go on about sub-plots.

I'd like more sub-plot to the 3 birds, and Lugia and Ho-oh's origins (we know Ho-oh made the dogs, but where did he come from?)

Actually, i think Shaymin is the pointless legend (gratitude legendary?wtf?).

Manaphy's awesome. Phione......inferior, but kinda cute.
    Regis look alike for a good reason.
    However, they were pointless.If you give the four of them a better backstory, it's cool.

Dialga,Palkia,Giratina,Lake Trio=rubbish.
    Honestly, they could've had Darkrai for Diamond (his eye is blue and gem-shaped), and Cresselia for Pearl (colour's right)

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    If this were the real world we were talking about, then the number of Gods or Deities or whatever role the Legendaries take in the Pokémon world (this is debatable between users, but I take the line of thought that they are like the Gods of Olympus with Arceus/Zeus right at the top) would not matter. However, Pokémon is a fictional world. And everything in fiction needs to have its place in the story, or it is irrelevant.

There is logic to Nintendo adding more Legendaries, however, from a business perspective. The Event Legendaries. From Gen III onwards (although it could be argued that Celebi from Gen II also falls into this category), pretty much all of the superfluous Legendaries were those only gained from promotional events: Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus and the Lati you didn't pick in RSE. Heatran only served to extend DPPt after the story was finished to give players something to do after defeating the E4, and Cresselia arguably promoted Darkrai before the Darkrai event existed. The others are pretty, and I like them all (:p), but they're just not needed. Heck, I'm an Arceus fan, but even I think that if he/she/it was never added to the games it's no big loss :/

So eh, I think there are too many superfluous Legendaries, but I don't think that Nintendo is going to be slowing up any time soon. Not when Pokémon is still one of its best-selling brands and there's always whole new audiences to be appealing to. I do hope that in future games they'll flesh out the Legendary's back-stories a little more, though.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I agree. I honestly don't care for legendaries at all by this point. I like Mewtwo, but who doesn't? He's a failed Pokemon genetic experiment. That is pretty cool. I like the stories of the Legendary Dogs/Gerbils/Felines (honestly, it should be felines. Entei is like a lion and Raikou is like a saber-tooth tiger) and I like the design of Lugia. And for whatever reason, I like Latias and Latios.

That's pretty much it. I don't care about any of the other legendaries, and I don't even bother catching them. I'm not into catching or collecting Pokemon. So, with all the legendaries in D/P/Pt, I'm just sick of them.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I like having this many legendaries. Like someone else said, it adds more subplot and I love having a good number of stories to follow and who doesn't like having more stuff to do after the main plot has ended? Granted, there's The Battle Frontier, but that doesn't really involve catching any Pokemon. :P

I can't wait to see what they come up with next umm.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2013
    Yup.Too many.Peopl go on about sub-plots.

I'd like more sub-plot to the 3 birds, and Lugia and Ho-oh's origins (we know Ho-oh made the dogs, but where did he come from?)

Actually, i think Shaymin is the pointless legend (gratitude legendary?wtf?).

Manaphy's awesome. Phione......inferior, but kinda cute.
    Regis look alike for a good reason.
    However, they were pointless.If you give the four of them a better backstory, it's cool.

Dialga,Palkia,Giratina,Lake Trio=rubbish.
    Honestly, they could've had Darkrai for Diamond (his eye is blue and gem-shaped), and Cresselia for Pearl (colour's right)

To be honest your reasoning is rather ridiculous. For a start, Ho-Oh didn't make the three Legendary Dogs, I've already established earlier that Ho-oh revived the three Dogs after their death in the Burnt Tower.

Shaymin isn't at all pointless. Although I do agree that it isn't that important. It still has a point to it none the less.

How's Manaphy awesome. exactly? It's plays about as much as a role in the games and anime as Shaymin does, yet your opinion on the two differ.

The Regi's as I've already stated are the guardians of the Tree of Beginning. And Regigigas is like the ring-leader.

Do you not read other members comments or do you simply lack concentration to read a slightly longer post?

Dialga and Palkia clearly have a significant role in both the games/anime, and the history surrounding pokemon as a whole. Dialga is the Creator of Time, and Palkia the creator of Space and Dementions. As for the lake trio, they too play a significant role in Pokemon. Uxie, giver of knowledge. Mesprit, the giver of Emotion, and Azelf, the giver of Willpower.

Darkrai would not be a better option over Dialga. I mean come on, your saying that blue gem-shaped eyes have more resemblance to a diamond then a Pokemon that's primary colour is that of a diamond and has a Diamond on it's chest? Seriously? The Same goes for Cresselia vs Palkia, you're saying that a Pokemon with a pink colour has a more striking resemblance to a pearl over a Pokemon that is white and pink (similar to a pearl as from a distance a pearl appears white yet on closer inspection it's actually tinged pink) and has two pearls on it's shoulders?

Seriously, if you're going to attempt to debate a subject, you need to make sense, and have at least a few of your facts straight.

Last edited:

cherrybby

→ bellarayne
    Years
    the ideas behind some of the legendaries - such as darkrai and giratina - were really interesting. this generation was my favorite for legends. (: i really don't think it was overdone, as they all played a role in the game (except for maybe heatran? xD). but even if they didn't, the legendaries give you even more things to do. there were a lot, but they weren't really unecessary.

Back