• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think there are too many legendary pokemon?

The Red Chain

Yes, I think there is way too many legendaries.. especially as of the fourth generation.
    Every generation the legendary count is getting higher.

First generation ; 5 legendaries. [Okay, not bad.]
    Second generation ; 6 legendaries. [Still not that bad]
    Third generation ; 10 legendaries. [Pushing it just a little]
    Fourth generation ; 14 legendaries. [Wtf. Are you kidding me?]

They kinda went overboard in the fourth generation.. and keep in mind I'm not counting forms.
    I swear if we see more than 5 legendaries in the next generation I will be very sad. ]:
    There doesn't HAVE to be a legendary for everything, seriously.
    Now don't get me wrong, I love the fourth generation's legendaries.. but the number of them is just ridiculous.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    I say Gen III startedf a plague of pointless and rather dumb Legendaries (Latis, Regis, Manaphy...Phione, wtf?) I think that from Gen 5 on, we have it like this:

-The 'Legendary Trio/Duo' that'll be the coverart for the games.
    -A Legendary Trio like the Beasts. Preferably something other than Water, Fire, and Electric.
    -A cute Legendary. Simple as that.

In total: 6-7 Pokemon. Why? Both are magic numbers. Look at Gen 2, 6 Legends (5 of which are obtainable without cheatng/glitching) was fine. We'd get the trio, and the coverart and the other. I personally find that to be a balanced number because we don't have too many or too little.

Legends that should be trashed:
    -Regirock, Regice, Registeel
    -Latios, Latias
    -Heatran
    -Manaphy
    -Phione

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm not stuffed about how many there are, the world is a big place and every region has a story to tell; Shinō and Hōen are larger geographical areas than Jōto and Kanto (Pokemon world is based on the real one, etc etc), so obviates their larger number of notable inhabitants.

What does however grate on my mind is how they seem to have become more mundane looking and childlike over time.

legendaries should be pokemon who play important parts to balance of pokemon world, i don't see any role that mewtwo and deoxys have, they're just very powerful pokemon but slaking have same total stat as mewtwo, so why are they considered legendaries?
    They're not called legendary because they're generally statistically superior, rather because they are one of a kind, and more importantly: have a legend.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I don't think there are too many Legendary Pokemon, there's a lot more Greek Gods than Legendary Pokemon. I do however seem to fail to realize the purpose of Phione.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    To be honest your reasoning is rather ridiculous. For a start, Ho-Oh didn't make the three Legendary Dogs, I've already established earlier that Ho-oh revived the three Dogs after their death in the Burnt Tower.

Shaymin isn't at all pointless. Although I do agree that it isn't that important. It still has a point to it none the less.

How's Manaphy awesome. exactly? It's plays about as much as a role in the games and anime as Shaymin does, yet your opinion on the two differ.

The Regi's as I've already stated are the guardians of the Tree of Beginning. And Regigigas is like the ring-leader.

Do you not read other members comments or do you simply lack concentration to read a slightly longer post?

Dialga and Palkia clearly have a significant role in both the games/anime, and the history surrounding pokemon as a whole. Dialga is the Creator of Time, and Palkia the creator of Space and Dementions. As for the lake trio, they too play a significant role in Pokemon. Uxie, giver of knowledge. Mesprit, the giver of Emotion, and Azelf, the giver of Willpower.

Darkrai would not be a better option over Dialga. I mean come on, your saying that blue gem-shaped eyes have more resemblance to a diamond then a Pokemon that's primary colour is that of a diamond and has a Diamond on it's chest? Seriously? The Same goes for Cresselia vs Palkia, you're saying that a Pokemon with a pink colour has a more striking resemblance to a pearl over a Pokemon that is white and pink (similar to a pearl as from a distance a pearl appears white yet on closer inspection it's actually tinged pink) and has two pearls on it's shoulders?

Seriously, if you're going to attempt to debate a subject, you need to make sense, and have at least a few of your facts straight.

Shaymin vs. Manaphy is just my opinion (i mean, Shaymin is gratitude, whereas Manaphy at least has a story about opening a sea palace).

I never suggested Darkrai and Cresselia were more resemblance to the gems than Dialga and Palkia.I just suggested they might've had an equally brilliant plotline if they were the stars of the games.

The Regis backstory is only in the anime!(well, except for Regigigas being ringleader).

And ok, i was half-asleep when i posted, and forgot the meanings of the Lake Trio

BUT, if you're such an expert:

Which came first?Arceus or the Egg?

And if Mew's got the DNA of all pokemon (as Arceus does, being their creator), did Mew come before Arceus?Or is it directly descended from Arceus??

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2013
    Shaymin vs. Manaphy is just my opinion (i mean, Shaymin is gratitude, whereas Manaphy at least has a story about opening a sea palace).

I never suggested Darkrai and Cresselia were more resemblance to the gems than Dialga and Palkia.I just suggested they might've had an equally brilliant plotline if they were the stars of the games.

The Regis backstory is only in the anime!(well, except for Regigigas being ringleader).

And ok, i was half-asleep when i posted, and forgot the meanings of the Lake Trio

BUT, if you're such an expert:

Which came first?Arceus or the Egg?

And if Mew's got the DNA of all pokemon (as Arceus does, being their creator), did Mew come before Arceus?Or is it directly descended from Arceus??

I never said I was an expert.

Based on what Sinnoh know's Arceus was born from the egg (how the egg came to be, no-one really knows). Arceus came first. Mew was created when humans (An original creation of Arceus - mind you) experimented with genetics, Mewtwo, is the second (enhanced if you like) version of Mew, hence the name. My guess is that Mew isn't a descendant of anyone.

Alec_

Years
    Uh, Not really but kinda, actually. I thought Legendaries were the one who's the leader of culture, type, history of every pokemon. :/

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    yes, but many of theme arent really legendary, mewtwo is man-made, therefore its just a really really rare pokemon

heatran I dont conisder a legendary, no legend behind it :]

King!

better
    Years
    It really depends on what you are talking about. If you're talking about them being special, then yes, there are too many in the fourth and third generations. In the first generation there is 1 legendary for every 30.2 Pokemon. In the second, for every 16.7 there is a legendary. In gen.3, there is one for every 13.5 Pokemon, and in generation 4, only 7.6. So yes, one legend for every 7.6 new Pokemon in the last generation is kind of ridiculous.

However, they each serve a purpose, whether it's for a plot, something to do afterwards, or simply for money/ promotion for nintendo(the events).

Pink Cashmere

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2010
    I remember the good ol' days when I was young, hip, and having a legendary Pokemon actually meant something. It meant you could go shove your Gameboy Color in that one kid's face that always seemed better at video games than you, and show off your spiffy new Mewtwo.

In all seriousness, however, I'd have to say that there are too many legendary Pokemon for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to throw a **** fit or anything, because I kinda sorta don't care too much. Legendaries are just kind of ... there.

And some of the legendarily just seem kind of out there now. The first two main games and, arguably, a handful of legendaries in the third generation seemed to go hand-in-hand with the game. (For an offhand example, I remember Mewtwo and Mew being foreshadowed fairly early in the game, on Cinnabar Island.) The later ones just seemed kind of mushed in there to say, "Hey, look at how many uberfantasticall33tpwnful Pokemon we can mash into one game!"

Hurrr, there I go saying I don't care too much, and then I type up a wall. Pffffft.

GageHamm

Absol lover
    Years
    I think generation 4 was actually pretty cool because of all the new features in the game (mostly referring to Platinum), but with Arceus being the Pokemon "God", it might mean gamefreak wont be making more generations...

P.S.First post ^_^

Ghostdragon

Thunder
    Years
    To answer the question, yes I think there is too many legendary pokemon. My reason for saying there are too many legendary pokemon is the fact there was 150 pokemon originally in the series, with only 5 legendary's. Now days they're only adding like 100 pokemon each series and 10+ are legendary... that's 10% or more of the 100 new pokemon they added that are legendary, isn't that an insult to the ones that aren't considered to be in that class? lol

Years
    I think there is too many legendaries , but at the same time I don't think they should stop making them. Maybe, one per generation from now on will balance things out.

Years
    I think there are too many Pokémon, period. But definitely too many legendaries, and too many of them can only be acquired through special events. It drives me crazy when you can't obtain a Pokémon through normal gameplay, but it was fine when it was only a couple--it made them special. Now, with all these random legendaries from G4 that can't be acquired except through events/cheats, it's nothing really unique. Plus, the designs have really suffered of late. If I were to choose, I'd keep the Legendary Birds, Mewtwo and Mew, the Legendary Dogs, Ho-oh and Lugia, Celebi, the Weather Trio, Jirachi, and the Dragon Trio.

XCHAMPX

Nazi 4 life!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2010
    Yes there are to many to the point where it doesnt mean much catching one anymore

Back