• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think they should stop making pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    I know if people keep buying the game then they'll keep making em but come on, there's over 700 now? when is it going to be time to call it quits? I personally think they should of stopped at platinum, every gen after platinum was horrible looking. I found out that in one of the newer gens one of the pokemon is an ice cream really GF lol. I think it's time to call it quits. What do you all think?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I think you are overreacting, especially about the Vanilluxe family. Generation 1 had a pile of sludge. What was his evolution? A bigger pile of sludge with an angry face. That was the trend for many pokemon in the first games, such a Poliwhirl/Poliwrath or Horsea/Seadra. Not to mention that you had a blob like Ditto and you had a solo become a trio, Magnemite to Magneton, Diglett to Dugtrio, etc.

Every gen had their fair share of ridiculous designs along with very solid designs. Pokemon is extremely successful and it will continue to produce more games for as long as us fans continue to support Game Freak. I do agree that Pokemon will have to end at some time, but that'll happen once the time comes.

pkmin3033

Absolutely not! Part of the excitement of Pokemon, and part of the reason it has lasted as long as it has beyond its initial boom, is because they keep on bringing new Pokemon into the mix for people to discover. A huge part of the reason I look forward to the games is because there will be a new region for me to explore and new Pokemon to discover in that region.

There is some lack of creativity/lackuster designs in all of the generations, I think, but there are always going to be some Pokemon that you like more than others, and Pokemon are based off of everything - you can only do so much with some things. You could argue that the uncreative-looking Pokemon are actually MORE original than some of the others. I mean, Fletchling is essentially a robin, Starly is a starling, Pidove and Pidgey are pidgeons, and so on. They look so similar to their real-life counterparts you could say that is less original than something like Vanillite, which is a sentient ice cream cone. It's all about perspective. And with so many Pokemon to choose from, it's not like your starved for options - if you don't like a Pokemon, you don't have to use it for lack of better options.

Years
  • As with anything that's been as popular as long as Pokemon has, you'll get people on both sides of the spectrum with their opinions on what should become of the franchise. One side feels that we've got way too many Pokemon, and that new generations should've stopped a long time ago. The other side is on the edge of their seat any time the slightest bit of news about a new game, Pokemon, etc., and would be crushed to see the series end (of course, there's all the people somewhere in between as well).

Unfortunately, Pokemon is still one of the most valuable brands in the world (I don't remember exactly when I referenced it, but I linked to an article a few months back that showed it as having one of the top 100 profit margins of major companies worldwide), so they've got no reason to stop now. Sure, there will always be old school fans that don't like the new games, Pokemon, mechanics, etc., but they're not the target audience. Even I don't agree with some of the additions that we've had over the past few gens, but I'm still excited to see what new things are brought along the way, and I hope that we get many more generations of Pokemon for years to come.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Never should it stop, I mean all of us are going to have our opinions on what was good or bad about a gen. of pokemon and their games, I didn't like the trash pokes but there is I am sure some one out there that like trubbish and gardabor, I will continue to buy the games and toys and every thing else for as long as it's made.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't believe it'd be wise for them to drop Pokémon all-together. Older fans might not be enjoying newer games and anime series, but younger ones (not age-wise, of course; those who were recently introduced) definitely do. People who have been following Pokémon for a while are used to all their old ways, in most cases, and have tough time to accepting anything new, causing the franchise to look bad in their eyes. Well, at least this is how I feel.

Though, it would definitely be nice if they had limited themselves on creating new, actual Pokémon. There are currently over 700 of them, which is a lot, with many of which being gone without any use of sorts; if they'd stopped introducing newer Pokémon for a while and focused on older or unpopular ones, I feel it'd do them more good in long run.

When new generations are announced, I know many of us get excited as to what sort of Pokémon they might possibly house, but every once in a while, it wouldn't do much harm if there weren't any, if that makes sense.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Personnally, Pokemon got me. I am a fan. I will like everything they do. Everything.
    Honnestly, they can continue forever and I think I will still like it.
    And I have to say that the gen5 was one of my favorite! :)

Years
  • Hey I have to agree that some of the design for pokemon are a bit silly but that is one of the fun things about pokemon. Game freak has created a world where anything is possible and nothing has to be to realistic which just brings more excitement to the game. I would say that pokemon will eventually end just like everything does but as long as fan are supporting game freak they will continue to create new pokemon and games for them.
    I personally think that they should continue to create games as I have grew up playing pokemon and it is something that I will be showing my daughter when she grows up. To me it is a legacy that must be shared with the next generation so that the world can strive to be the very best pokemon trainer!!!

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
    Years
  • I'm actually enjoying X/Y more than I enjoyed B/W and B2/W2.
    And, you get to choose a Gen 1 starter pokemon :D
    And I think Red/Blue / Aka/Midori/Ao (Gen1 games) should get another remake.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I know if people keep buying the game then they'll keep making em but come on, there's over 700 now? when is it going to be time to call it quits? I personally think they should of stopped at platinum, every gen after platinum was horrible looking. I found out that in one of the newer gens one of the pokemon is an ice cream really GF lol. I think it's time to call it quits. What do you all think?
    I used to be a genwunner, a long time ago. Then I thought some more about it and realized that there are plenty of great pokémon in every generation, and some bad. In every generation. It's the mix of it all that makes pokémon pokémon :)

Every gen had their fair share of ridiculous designs along with very solid designs. Pokemon is extremely successful and it will continue to produce more games for as long as us fans continue to support Game Freak. I do agree that Pokemon will have to end at some time, but that'll happen once the time comes.
    Yeah, it's about money and technology these days. Or, well, it's always been. Pokémon games have evolved as the consoles evolved. Always mainly handheld. We'll keep getting better Nintendo systems and keep getting more advanced pokémon games, I really don't think ORAS is the peak of handheld pokémon gaming!

I'm actually enjoying X/Y more than I enjoyed B/W and B2/W2.
    And, you get to choose a Gen 1 starter pokemon :D
    And I think Red/Blue / Aka/Midori/Ao (Gen1 games) should get another remake.
    It's either Kanto or Sinnoh up for remakes now! They were both featured as late as 4th gen, but Kanto was a downplayed version, the "gen 2" version. Despite that, I think people would be more thrilled to return to Sinnoh in full 3D than to return to Kanto again so soon.

Anyways, I really don't want pokémon to stop. And I don't want them to stop making new species either, no matter how much I've complained sometimes about copies. (they could stop making electric rats though...) As long as pokémon runs, PC runs 8)

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    The Game is still popular So Game-freak will keep on making Pokemon.
    But For the Anime , If it doesn't increase Merchandise sales then the Producer might stop wasting money on Anime series and Instate advertise the show with Special Pokemon OVA.

kasumi_chan_x

Nevermore
    Years
  • No, not at all.
    The series, especially the anime, is great for kids! They love it!
    And as for the games, they are still very popular today.

If many are still enjoying pokemon, and is still selling well...why end it? :)

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • My view does reflect most people's; I don't think they should stop making Pokemon because there are still unused type combinations I still want to see (Dragon/Fighting anyone?) Also, new Pokemon means it will add more to the competitive scene and add fresh air. Furthermore, there are still unused animals/objects as Pokemon designs.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    No. Game Freak mustn't stop just yet. There are still some animals I want to see made into Pokemon, like triceratops, panthers, jaguars, leopards, dolphins, orcas, donkeys, gorillas, and maybe a few more tigers, sharks, camels, and chickens.

There are also some Pokemon that desperately need an evolution. I'm talking about Pokemon like Dunsparce, Qwilfish, and Basculin. Also I think Kangaskhan's baby should become its own Pokemon someday.

Aside from that, there are still some interesting type combinations waiting to be exploited. Things like Fire/Fairy, Electric/Fighting, and Rock/Ghost, among others.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Yes....pokemon lost their iconic feel...the sooner they stop, the more they can work on MMORPG

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2017
    No i don't think they stop making Pokemon, because is too popular for stop.
    Every 4 or 3 years is coming new generation and i think it is a good thing!
    Especially Pokemon Versions from Game Freak are great, i has enjoying every game! :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    If I was asked this same question after B/W I would say please never make another Pokemon again. For a lot of those Pokemon in that generation were extremely ugly or just silly. Not all, but enough to make me cringe a bit. I thought X/Y redeemed itself as I enjoyed just about all the new Pokemon from that generation. So I wouldn't mind seeing more.

Honestly though I rather see really good regions with great gym leaders, elite four members, and a champion, but without any new Pokemon. I just want to play a really good game regardless of new Pokemon.

I think you are overreacting, especially about the Vanilluxe family. Generation 1 had a pile of sludge. What was his evolution? A bigger pile of sludge with an angry face. That was the trend for many pokemon in the first games, such a Poliwhirl/Poliwrath or Horsea/Seadra. Not to mention that you had a blob like Ditto and you had a solo become a trio, Magnemite to Magneton, Diglett to Dugtrio, etc.

I've heard this argument a million times when it comes to the Vanilluxe line and I think people miss the point of why a lot of people find it ridiculous. Yeah muk being a pile of sludge is a very simplistic design, but that's not the point. The Vanilluxe line literally looks like a line of conscious ice cream. It just seems really silly to a lot of people. It's a kiddy cone that eventually ends up as a sundae. It's like a happy meal burger eventually evolving into a big mac.

Naruyan

夢~で暮らす
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    I don't think they should stop making new ones, but I think they should get a new team of designers because a lot of them are quite bad. Yeah there were some like that in earlier gens but not so much as lately. I think they should bring back Pokemon following you, customizable clothes, and add some new things into the mix, too.

Back