• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think they should've made new evolutions in B/W?

Do you think they should have made a new evolution?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
Not having evolutionary relationships to pre-Gen V pokemon means that it'll be a lot easier to make some evolutions (or babies, or branches evolutions) for a hypothetical Gen VI since we have so many new pokemon without attachments. If too many Gen V pokemon were related to old pokemon there'd be a lot less room for future developments.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I think they should have added a few new evolutions. Maybe a couple new Eeveelutions. Also, I don't know about you, but when I first saw Alomomola, I thought "That must be an evolution of Luvdisc." I was surprised it wasn't. One thing I think could have been a good idea would have been to add the evolutions and pre-evolutions after the Unova Dex. Also, make it so you can't obtain the basic forms until after the National Dex, similar to what they did in D/P.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
Years
I'm quite happy they didn't include any other new evolutions stemming from Pokémon in previous generations. A small quibble of mine is that whenever they add an extension evolution to a Pokémon, from a previous generation, it disorganizes the assortment of the order of the PokéDex. I guess I'm a bit OCD and have to have, and would like to see, a systematic dex. But that's just me. xP
Also, this is meant to be a new beginning for the series. Unova is a fresh start to start over again and wanting to give this generation its on identity, like starting over from step one with original Pokémons not associated with previous games. Not incorporating new evolutions of Pokémon from preceding games made it feel like it really was a new and refreshing start.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Nincada evolution that stays part Ground and Surskit evolution that stays part Water. Just 'cause.

I think they really messed up when they didn't add new evolutions for some of the old Pokemon. Looking at the new generation, GameFreak is definitely shifting the balance of Pokemon unnecessarily. They added TONS of Pokemon with frighteningly high stats, yet they pay little attention to older Pokemon that need upgrades to keep up with the power of Generation V. Chandelure has UNGODLY amounts of SpATK with three fantastic abilities, while Hydreigon is a pretty fearsome attacker on both ends of the spectrum. Darmanitan can basically destroy anything that dares touches it with Flare Blitz + Sheer Force. Fair? What ever happened to Kecleon? And Seviper / Zangoose? Who uses Banette?

Sure, Dream World abilities helped some Pokemon, but really suck for others. Victreebel with Gluttony? Ludicolo with Own Tempo? Masquerain with Unnerve?

Shake my head, PowerFreak.

Last edited:
Years
I'm kind of on the fence with this one - I loved the whole 'new beginning' aspect the games had, but it would've been nice to see a few more old faces with evolutions after the main storyline. To list a few; Manectric, Eevee, Tropius prevo, etc.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
At first I was a bit dissapointed at the lack of evos, especially Eevee evos, but now Im actually kinda glad because its nice to focus on totally new Pokemon. I often feel some of the evos included in Gen 4 were just for the sake of that pokemon having an Evo and Im not impressed with them.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
When I found out that there were no new evolution for the first four generations of Pokemon, I was really happy because Generation IV just ruined it and Pokemon redeem themselves by leaving out pre evolutions and evolutions out of Generation V

:t354:TG

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2015
i want dunsparce to get the most awesome, fontastic, normal/dragon evolution ever T^T

Years
I think they should have introduced new evos post-game, but they should also have made an updated pokedex with evos and devos coming in before and after their respective basics in the pokedex. I'm so annoyed that you have to switch to another gens pokedex to see their evos. Doesn't it make sense to update an encyclopedia when there are new discoveries made? All the other pokes numbers would be different, but so what? Maybe they could make different types of pokedexes, so you could choose which sorting option you would want. And then you could turn on two sorting options at once, like alphabetically AND by evolution for example. So the basics would be listed alphabetically, and then their evos coming after them. Before post-game though, I like that they have made only new pokemon exclusive to Unova.

Numbers

Say my name
Years
As much as I wanted new evolutions for a lot of Pokemon, In a way I'm glad that there were none. It really does give the series a whole new fresh feel.
Although in saying that I do miss quite a few recurring Pokemon (Geodude, Zubat etc.) but that's for another thread.

Years
No, I think a lot of the evolutions in Gen IV were a bit forced and awkward. I was glad they departed from that for Gen V.

This. I hated most of the evolutions in the fourth generation (with the exceptions of Mantyke and the Eeveelutions, and maybe one or two others), so I'm glad they decided to stop marring my favorite Pokémon.

I felt like the glut of extra evolutions in Generation IV was a sign that they were running out of ideas. Given that a large number of Generation V Pokémon are clones, I still think that, but it's less obvious...and they did manage to come up with a few good designs (more than Gen IV, IMO).

Years
As much as I wanted to see old Pokémon getting new things (Absol prevolution, Scyther prevolution and Farfetch'd ecolution, mostly), I'm voting no. For the first time since the first generation, games were released with stand-alone Pokémon - none related to pre-existing Pokémon at all. It was a nice change.

Sert908

Hi guys :)
Years
I would have liked to see Hydregon (Or however you spell it) to have a pre-evolution, because it's pretty odd to see a level one Hydregon in my opinion. But, Nintendo didn't do that :<

Years
But... Hydreigon does have a pre-evolution - two of them. Do you mean Druddigon? If so, I agree, it is weird seeing a Level 1 one.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
At first I was a little disappointed, but now I actually think it's a great idea. I believe GameFreak's main focus on the games were to make it a new start for the new generation, and not including new evolutions for old Pokémon is good for that.

Back