• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you think you are smarter than 80 % of high school kids?

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    80%? Definitely not, if you're looking at my overall grades across every subject. Maybe 50% to 60%; just average. But if you're looking at my English and English Literature subjects, I was told that I was in the top 10% of the national cohort (I'm not sure if it's true but I doubt the government would lie to me about that).

Years
    I'm a part of the 80%
    Back in high school, I study in this church-school which uses the curriculum of A.C.E. You know that? If not, well, its very hard to explain and my head aches.
    So, yeah, um, because we use that curriculum, we try hard to be smart, in order to pass the exam. If not, we'll repeat the PACE (a sort of textbook that A.C.E. uses).

Last edited:
    Years
    Well I would like to hope so at least.

I was in the top set for all subjects at school (but most of my close friends and my brother tended to get better marks than me).

[FONT=&quot] To be fair an average high school kid or a least the higher achievers are better spelling than me and is probably better at maths than me, but I think I would be more intelligent than them at all the other things. xD[/FONT]

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I think "more specialized" fits it better. I'm well aware of the fact, that I've forgotten a lot of stuff I learnt at school, so from that perspective I clearly am not smarter than a high school kid. But I am also aware that I've accumulated a lot of knowledge which they don't have to bother with. I suppose it may or may not even itself out in the end, but let's just say in terms of quantity, I might as well be as smart as one of them...just in a different way.

Obviously, that assumes we are talking about kids who actually learn a little bit, because being smarter than a bully isn't that hard to achieve. :P

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Come on guy. it is not that hard to be smarter than 80 % of high school kids.
    If you can do Advance algebra well, you are smarter than 80% of high school kids.

Literally shocked, but I kind of agree with you.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I think the internet, while nevertheless having its idiots, does have its strength with its populative teenagers in terms of intelligence when held up against to the rest of the world's high schoolers. The internet has an entertaining kind of stupid to it, really. Normally it's just being appalled that someone could possibly do something so dumb – with your average, I mean.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    well, i do believe i am, from my personal experience at least. i was one of the smartest kids at my school so i would believe i still am, as arrogant as this sounds. i simply have confidence in my abilities, especially if we're talking about foreign language classes (in our case, that's english and spanish) and your usual writing and reading classes (french).

Years
    Yes. For sure if we are examining the US and we are examining by curriculum standardized testing (6 years ago my ACT was in the 90th percentile, not to brag since it's not any real measure of intelligence). Though, I would say when it comes to intelligence that cannot be measured through testing, the gap would be even more expansive from experience gained outside of high school.

Probably smarter and less smart in different respects in relation to 80% of South Korean students however.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Yeah, most likely, at least in terms of capability for understanding the world around me (I'm no good at regimental academics). As Shining Raichu said, it'd be unusual if a post-schooler weren't smarter than someone currently party to the education system. I would say one's inherent intelligence, stage of mental development, and life experiences are exceedingly more important than actual education though.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I should hope I'm smarter than most high school kids. I hold a Masters degree and like to think I've always been a mature, grounded, well-learned individual.

Back