• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you think you owe society anything.?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    or you think everything has already been paid by you or your family.? police, nurse, doctor you
    pay them by deduction of your income aka tax

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have been living off Swedish society for years, studying. They have invested in me. Now I owe it to the world around me to be as great a scientist as I can, and move us all forward towards a better life in return. :3

Years
    Society has supported me whilst I've not had the money to do so myself and will do so again soon enough. I think I definitely owe society some sort of contribution eventually as part of the education system hopefully, although I guess right now I contribute to culture?

Years
    To have a society worth living in we all have to contribute something. Right now the taxes i've paid are paying for me so I cant complain.

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    My hope is to contribute to society culturally by producing writing and other forms of art. Art is so incredibly important, as it's a huge part of our culture and history, it entertains and inspires us, and what a society values in terms of art can say a lot about it. I also like to give back to the community by volunteering sometimes.

I would like to add that I am privileged in that I can contribute to society in those ways - not everyone can do the above, and that's okay! But I do like to be able to give something back if I can. :>

~Psychic

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    or you think everything has already been paid by you or your family.? police, nurse, doctor you
    pay them by deduction of your income aka tax

Screw taxation. I do not consider it contributing to society.

I like voluntary work. I do many community service projects and everything of the sort. I love it!

Sir Codin

If you wish to use society's services, then yes, you do kind of owe them something. However, I take issue with the fact that you are practically forced to owe them something because services offered by the public sector like emergency and police have little competition and are essentially a monopoly.

Sadly, it's not as clear cut as "don't pay, don't get" on many services and as much as I would like income tax to disappear and these programs be voluntarily funded by private and individual entities, people are now just too afraid of freedom and responsibility for that to be a reality.

inb4 kill urself carodin

Years
    If you wish to use society's services, then yes, you do kind of owe them something. However, I take issue with the fact that you are practically forced to owe them something because services offered by the public sector like emergency and police have little competition and are essentially a monopoly.

Sadly, it's not as clear cut as "don't pay, don't get" on many services and as much as I would like income tax to disappear and these programs be voluntarily funded by private and individual entities, people are now just too afraid of freedom and responsibility for that to be a reality.

inb4 kill urself carodin

It's not that people are afraid of freedom it's that voluntarily and privately funded services like police don't make any sense. Using the police as the example, if you expected them to be funded by volunteers you'd very quickly see the police force crumble due to lack of funding. It'd be even worse if they were privately funded, only the people who could pay would receive protection. We just discussed this issue at length in the PCNation thread, you should take a look.

Personally I think taxation and public services are the fairest way to go. I feel like people who don't agree with taxation just expect the world to give them something for nothing. Or alternatively, would be happy with in-efficient or unequal services that can be much better and more fairly provided by the government.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    I've been taught to believe that I've much to give back for all that I received growing up. Whilst this notion is understandable, it's now being drilled into me by particular family members who, shall we say, have grown bitter and cynical in their advanced years. I would not mind giving back, as it is a sort of due I feel obliged to cover, but when it's done for folk who frankly give you **** for thanks in return is hugely discouraging for me...

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    I'm forced to owe them through taxation whether I like it or not while others mooch off the system so **** society.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    If anything I owe to my parents, but not to society.
    But I'm sure your parents have taken something from society or at least, society has invested in them within which has assisted in your development/growth. Perhaps you directly owe your parents, whilst indirectly owing society?

I owe 8 euros to a family member. Does that count? <u<
    hahaha omg I love you

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    It's not that people are afraid of freedom it's that voluntarily and privately funded services like police don't make any sense. Using the police as the example, if you expected them to be funded by volunteers you'd very quickly see the police force crumble due to lack of funding. It'd be even worse if they were privately funded, only the people who could pay would receive protection. We just discussed this issue at length in the PCNation thread, you should take a look.

Personally I think taxation and public services are the fairest way to go. I feel like people who don't agree with taxation just expect the world to give them something for nothing. Or alternatively, would be happy with in-efficient or unequal services that can be much better and more fairly provided by the government.

I have done more research on private police if you would like to debate me privately. If you would like to read more on it, I would recommend searching for various Austrian economists such as Murray Rothbard or Dr. Walter Block. Rothbard has many of his works downloadable for free on the Mises Institute website. I can link it to you if ya want. :)

Taxation is theft and inherently wrong. "I feel like people who don't agree with taxation just expect the world to give them something for nothing." <-- that is very hypocritical. By wanting public services, you want monopolized and inefficient services to be given to you for no work. In a free market, you have to work. Call me greedy all you want, but no one deserves healthcare, police, or other services. I dont mean to smash on your opinion, and having public services are very reasonable, but please dont call people who dont want free stuff greedy.

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
    Years
    I feel that I do owe society things as a future taxpayer, a law abiding citizen and as a person who wants to pursue a career in politics. However, that also means that society should be able to owe me things within reason that I would pay for such as education, healthcare and infrastructure. While I realize that as an individual society owes me nothing in regards to ensuring that I am always satisfied with life, it should be reasonable that the govt. has my back covered when it comes to my education so I am not crippled with student debt, healthcare so I may continue to live a long and healthy life, an equal justice system and, if it ever comes to that, food stamps to ensure I don't starve if I am falling on some hard times.

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
    But I'm sure your parents have taken something from society or at least, society has invested in them within which have assisted in your development/growth. Perhaps you directly owe your parents, whilst indirectly owing society?

hahaha omg I love you

Yeah I guess I do owe society in an indirect way. But I don't feel like I need to pay anything for it because at a young age I had no way of doing work to get money or any way to get my own food. It'd be like locking someone in your basement for years and when you finally release them, you expect them to pay for the food and clothes you gave them during that time when they couldn't leave to get those things themselves.

Years
    Not society as a whole, I never asked to be born.
    But the people who've helped me and loved me, yes I feel like I owe them because they've been there for me.

Saragraph

Everything for the OST.
    Years
    Yes, I definitely owe society something. It's because the people I've interacted with and those interactions themselves I've become the person I'm now. And I'm happy with who I am.

I would love to enter the debate about taxes, but I feel like my English isn't good enough to express what I think and how I feel about it.

Galho

Morning Bell
    Years
    We all owe society for letting it shape ourselves: Many have contributed for my sadness and for my happyness. I owe some people in society my thanks and i hope one day i will be able to enlighten some people in this massive society to be themselves and learn from what they see with their own eyes, not with other's eyes. Society as an whole is sickening, but we are all trapped in there, and its our own job to form our own society that is formed with our common interests, after we learn who and what we like and who and what we dont.

Back