• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think?

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • Does anyone else here think its possible to create a 3d game with RUBY, I know speed can be an issue but I'm looking at the language and it seems possible. From what I undertstand Ruby will never be as fast as C++ but it can compare to javascript and that has been used to make MMORPG's and other Games seccessfully. Ruby seems to work fine for 2D Sprite games but do you think it can handle 3D games in general? Please say why?

KingCharizard

Years
  • Not exactly what I ment. What if a framwork was created with ruby that could handle shaders, meshes, ect... Like a 3d Ruby game engine. Do you think it possible to do.

Syllyra

Pokémon Underground: Surfacing
    Years
  • I'm guessing Ruby is to weak to do that, but then again. What do I know :P
    I'm using it for just 2 weeks :P

Syllyra

Years
  • I did notice some significant similarities in Ruby and C++ (coincidence??)
    Maybe there's a way to let RMXP work with C++.
    Just throwing it out there.

KingCharizard

Years
  • I did notice some significant similarities in Ruby and C++ (coincidence??)
    Maybe there's a way to let RMXP work with C++.
    Just throwing it out there.

Well C++ has OOP(Object Oriented Programming) abilties.
    While Ruby is fully OOP, this can allow for a mixture of the two if im not mistaken is works well too.

Maybe I could do what unity does, write an engine in C++ but allow it to use languages like Javascript & C# or in my case Ruby.

Syllyra

Years
  • So my thoughts weren't so strange after all :)
    Keep me posted on this engine if you're really making one :)

KingCharizard

Years
  • So my thoughts weren't so strange after all :)
    Keep me posted on this engine if you're really making one :)

Not developing this at the momen't but I think it would be a huge leap in the game dev world if anyone did. If full 3d games could be scripted with ruby, game development would get alot easier...

Syllyra

Years
  • I totally agree on that statement :)
    It would be even better/nicer if the idea above would incorporate with multiple languages (C++, Ruby, C#, Flash and so on)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Ruby is an extremely powerful scripting language. I can guarantee anything you can do with C/+/++ is as easily done in Ruby. They are both object-oriented languages, the only difference is their syntaxes.
    3D support for Ruby exists in many different forms. There are probably many commercial Ruby 3D frameworks for professionals. However, opensource wise, all we really have is basic OpenGL (AFAIK).

KingCharizard

Years
  • Ruby is an extremely powerful scripting language. I can guarantee anything you can do with C/+/++ is as easily done in Ruby. They are both object-oriented languages, the only difference is their syntaxes.
    3D support for Ruby exists in many different forms. There are probably many commercial Ruby 3D frameworks for professionals. However, opensource wise, all we really have is basic OpenGL (AFAIK).

I'd have to disagree with you on one thing, there is many differences between RUBY & C++ aside from syntax. Especially the speed. Another big thing is the level at which each comples at(Which effects speed/Performance). As far as I know there is no 3dcommercial solution for a framework. But until about a month ago I never really found myself interested in ruby so there could be. Although OOP is positive, being fully OOP has its disavantges. But I think you can use RUBY + OpenGL + OpenAL to make a Opensource Framework.

Back