• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you train your Pokemon evenly throughout the story?

Years
  • For me, I do train them evenly, with only a difference of about 2 levels, but I have done something I'm sure we're all guilty of. Back in RBY I only used a starter throughout alot of the game, mainly because it was so easy to do back then. Once I only used a Blaziken through an entire Sapphire playthrough and I had it at level 86 by the time I had reached the Elite 4. Howboutu?

Guest123_x1

When I first started playing the Pokémon games (starting with Yellow), I would spoil my starter, using it in as many battles as I could, getting it up to a very high level compared to others on my team, until the save file got wiped out. Since then, I have always tried to keep all my Pokémon within the same level at all times, until I stopped playing the games altogether.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    [SIZE="a"]A lot of the time I use only my starter for battles with an hm slave or two and some really weak ones for free heals to fill up my party[/SIZE]

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I use to only train my starter, but now as I grew older, I realised that I should even out because once my starter dies, its game over for me.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I use to just focus on mainly my starter. My team's levels varied when I was younger so my party was very unbalanced. Now I try to keep all the Pokemon on my team at least 2-3 levels between.

-Connor97-

Yeah that's that super bass
    Years
  • yush! well when i played pokemon, yes, id love to balance out my team, so tat... wel its just better i guess :DDDD

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • My team will be mostly balanced, my starter will be a couple levels higher in case of emergency, and HM slaves are neglected completely.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Yup. What I do is start with the first Pokémon in my party, gain it a level, switch to the next Pokémon in my party, and repeat (that's usually how it goes, anyways).

Oh, and I'm definitely guilty of doing the same thing as you. When I was kid I would only train my starter Pokémon. By doing that, I got my first Pokémon to level 100 legitimately! :D

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years
  • I always train all my Pokémon to the same level, except the starter, which is always 2 levels higher.

Shiny Dunsparce

SummerFeuer on P.G.L
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Aug 5, 2014
    I always tried to train my Pokemon evenly. I have never only used my starter throughout the game. One day I'll give it a try though.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yes, if possible when I'm using a team of six (I have not done this before though). I always take turns in training a Pokemon, although if there's an obvious advantage in a gym battle or something and I don't think it'd be easy for my other Pokemon to take charge I'll make use of the other.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    I normally fill my party up with all 6 and I train them evenly. Except most of the time, I end up making my starter pokemon higher. Like from the game I currently have, I have a level 34 Charmeleon, 21 Dratini, 26 Pidgeotto and 28 Gyrados. The reason that Dratini is so low is because I just got him from the Gambling room and still am trying to train him up. He pretty much sucks, so it's kinda difficult.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • For the most part, I raise a full team of six evenly, switching the top Pokemon on a regular basis to make sure everyone gets their fair share of battle time. Sometimes I'll let a member get two or three levels ahead, but then I'll make sure to make up the difference in the next area to keep them at about equal strength. I can't imagine training my Pokemon any other way.

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    I used to train them as equally as possible, but when I got further and further into the game I trained only the Pokémon I needed for a certain gym. For example when I got to Chuck in Johto, I'd only train Kadabra. It worked pretty well, but when I got to the Elite Four I did have to train all of them to an equal level.
    Now I'm almost always doing certain challenges (solo runs, etc.) and I don't have to bother with training them equally.

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
    Years
  • I usually get my starter to level 10/15 BEFORE I reach the next town (yes, obsessive I know)... so before I reached Vermillion, before I reached Oldale etc!

Then I'll use that starter in battles & I will catch all the Pokemon on every route but end up using hardly any of them (they sit in boxes ready for me to train & breed post E4). I have a team in mind before I start the game & will often go with only one or two Pokemon until I reach the route that I can catch the Pokemon I want in. Then once I have my team together I begin training them all to equal levels (every time I'm on the game I aim to at least level them up by 5, if not 10).

It works for me!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I try to keep them even. I don't usually like having all my Pokemon on the same level though, because I don't like everything being exactly the same. So I usually have a 2 level difference. But in some games, I keep them all on the same level. Usually depends on the team and how good they are, or the challenge I'm doing, etc.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    To be honest, I don't think I've ever raised a full team of six for an in-game run, excluding any challenges. I just don't like it, probably because I know I can pulverize the Elite Four with maybe two or three Pokemon. But of those Pokemon, I keep them usually a level apart, if at all.

When I was younger, yeah I did spoil one Pokemon, and usually it was the starter. It's easy to train the starter, they have a fair advantage stats-wise early on in the game and you can grind them easily. It did provide some trouble at the Elite Four, especially since Charizard soloing them isn't a good idea at all.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • Usually try to keep them even, even though my starter always seems to be two or three levels ahead.

Greywyn

Ace
    Years
  • I tend to train the pokemon in my party evenly. Actually, I do that with every RPG that involves leveling a whole party. It may take forever but it's just a pet peeve of mine to have an all-around strong party.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I always do. Or at least have a pattern. Lately I've been following the B/W NPC theme of my main Pokemon being two levels higher than everything else. But usually they're almost always on the same level. It's almost way too time consuming, though. Way.

Back