• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you understand what you listen to?

Years
  • I don't really understand what they're saying... but if I watch a video of the song with the lyrics enough times, I can start to distinguish more of the words and phrases and can start to understand what what each phrase means.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    I'm one of those people, much like Scarf and Lightning, who will just listen to the entire sound of the song and basically ignore the lyrics in a song no matter what the language, usually because when I'm listening to music I'm generally doing other things at the time.

Occasionally though, if I'm just listening to the music and not distracted, I can pick up on a few Japanese phrases here and there, and if I really want to know the lyrics to a song, I'll look them up rather than trying to memorise them by listening to the song.

Adri-chan

What the fruit?
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 28, 2012
    No, not really. I only remember the lyrics if I had watched the video for it. Otherwise, I just listen to it.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • No, no I don't. Unless a translation is shoved in front of my face, I normally don't care. Same goes for all foreign music I listen to. I rarely listen to music because of vocals anyways.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I watch them with subtitles. Thus, I understand the lyrics only if subtitles are given. If not, then no.

And I've never really gone ahead and tried to find out what the songs in jap mean. I mostly listen to them for their music, not for their meaning.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • I totally don't understand what I'm listening to, and the one time I looked up the lyrics was for the Parade song from the movie Paprika...

Which, if any of you are familiar with the translation of that particular song, makes absolutely no sense in English either! 8D;

Back