• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use a full party?

Years
  • Way back in the days of gens I-III, I used to use no more than two or three Pokémon on my team since it was quicker to level when you used a smaller team. What about you guys? Do you use a full party??

Years
  • I used only two Pokemon in Emerald (Blaziken and Raichu) when I was a kid and then Wallace's Whiscash destroyed me :-(
    After that I started to train all 6 Pokemon in Fire red.

Years
  • Even when I was younger I tried to have a full party of Pokemon, even if 1-3 of them did the bulk of the work. I think the only time I used less than 6 on my first playthrough of a game was Alpha Sapphire, and I still used 5 Pokemon- I just never found a sixth I was happy with, so I went without one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2019
    I use a full team of six on most games, the exceptions to this are Gold/Silver/Crystal or HG/SS where I use about four or five, mainly becuse Johto is difficult to train a full team of six in.

Years
    • Seen today
    I use all 6, occasionally I'll rotate things out.

The exception is sometimes in Rom Hacks, where grinding is nearly impossible with a full team of 6, even with a speed up button.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • In Gens. 2-5, I usually only focus on raising two Pokémon (one prior to Exp. Share), but I still keep a full team. More than once have I beat a game with a Lv.5 Togepi on my team.

Post-game, ALWAYS six Pokémon. Gotta use as many favorites as possible!

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
    Years
  • From pokemon Red/blue/Yellow till Sun& moon full party vs trainers, after that i tried new strategy to just use 1 vs 1 trainers/gyms/rivals etc.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    For me it depends on the Pokemon available what kind of team I want to build! In the traditional games I always just go with my favourites, so I usually end up with 5 plus a HM slave haha. Recently played a ROM hack where I knew I'd be able to build a nice team of dragons fairly easily, but since there were so few dragon types available I ended up managing to power through the game with a party of 4.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Typically I play Yellow with a full party but take the time to grind them. Having a smaller team though does make the game go faster since it means less time spent on grinding and more time on kicking Team Rocket's butt(and Blue's). Ill-advised to solo it with Pikachu but a team of three could do it: Pikachu, Sandslash and Starmie. Psychic is OP in Gen 1 don't ya know?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    the first time i played silver and the first time i played ruby my team consisted of my starter, the regional bird, and then for the elite four i threw together the "strongest" pokemon i had for back-up incase something happened to my started lol.

nowadays i normally have a full team, but it depends on the playthrough, the pokemon avaliable, and if i'm doing a challenge. there was one challenge that i went though the game with just four, and i believe there was one time i went through the game with five. i don't think i've done any with less than that, though, unless it was a solo run.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I plan for a "full team" to face the Elite 4, but I only carry as much pokemon as possible according to its route availability.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Usually yes, but until (up to gen 5) the 7th/8th gym it's more like four Pokémon doing most of the job and the other two changing often and being used only occasionally.

Years
  • I used to always use full teams, but lately I've been taking a more minimalistic approach, thus using teams of 3 or 4. I actually like it a lot.

Years
  • I use full team most of the time. I also usually rotate my team since Gen V. My goal is to use every single Pokémon one day, so 6+ Pokémon at time really helps.

Years
  • I like to use a full team cause I like to have all my basis covered. HM's, being able to take on any type of Pokémon. But I suppose limiting your party can make for an interesting challenge cause you have less to work wth when doing that.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I always use 6 pokemon. No HM slaves because I don't really like to constantly have to access the PC. In recent playthroughs, I've gone and used up to 18 pokemon, which is just painful pre-Gen VI. 6 is just fine enough for me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I've always used full party, there are so many Pokemon so I still can't decide who joins the team.

Back