• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you use moves like Calm Mind?

Years
    I once hated it, but learnt to use it lately...
    Although this battle is ingame, but I saved in front of Winona once,
    then while her Pelipper was Aerial Aceing me, I set up Calm Mind 6 times,
    and in the end my Gardevoir kills Altaria with one Psychic

Then I resetted and battled those birdies without Calm Mind, and Altaria takes
    4 hits to die IIRC.

So yes, I do use them.

Years
    Well some pokemon need these moves. Calmvoir, Agiligross, DD-Tar and heaps more need moves that take powering up. I used to be a noob and think they were useless but now I can pawn the Pokemon League with 6 Lv60 Calmvoir's.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    i use it on sweepers like torrterra earthquake/swordsdance combo or infernape calm mind/flameflower combo and battling a trainer who uses deffence incresing/speed lower people so i max out my stats and 1 hit k.o on them trainers

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
    There were times when I wanted to teach Bulk Up to a Pokémon, but of course that particular species happened to be unable to learn it >_>
    There are many more Pokémon that can learn Calm Mind, than Bulk Up, so that may explain why it isn't seen so often..

Well my primeape has Bulk Up and it works well, he has anger point, and a focus sash, so if a critical hit brings him to 1 HP boosts his attack after I use bulk up, he gets a massive stat increase. Then he is pretty much set to sweep. of course this strategy doesn't make use of the defense aspect of bulk up

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    It's hard to use it ingame, since a Magikarp with Tackle can solo the E4. The trainers are practically designed to suck. But I try, it makes it fun.

Competative battling is a different story. You NEED these sort of attacks to keep you weaknesses up. Alakazam would get OHKO'd by a strong attack, but with a few Calm Minds, it's actually a tank. So, in Wifi, it's really important.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    yes, these moves are the best and can really turn a battle around

Years
    Most people start in the mindset of "Why CM and the psychic when i can psychic twice" until they try competetive fighting. Ill use CM as an example:
    Psychic=Base 90 Power
    so Psychic twice= 180
    CM=1.5 boost
    so CM+Psychic=135
    At this point is not looking too good, but on a third turn they are tied at 270 power. After that CM zooms ahead in power. Its all about forward thinking

Ummm... Does Calm Mind boost the power of the attack or does it boost that Pokemon's particular stat? E.g, Gardevoir that has a 100 base SAtk uses Calm Mind and she gets her SAtk raised to 150? Or is it her moves that get boosted?

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    Really? I never thought about it, but it's probably good it CH aren't based on raised stats, think of how devestating a critical would be after a few calm minds! How would it work if the critical hit does 50% damage but a boosted attack hits for 60%? Does that mean a critical would do LESS than a normal would? that doesn't sound like it makes sense

Well, say your opponent's Alakazam uses Calm Mind six times, so is maxed out in both Special stats. Then your Gyarados uses Hyper Beam (a Special attack in D/P) and does say, 1/4 damage to Alakazam because its Special Defense is so high. But a while later, that same Gyarados uses Hyper Beam and it's a critical hit. But this doesn't mean it does 1/2 damage to Alakazam (these fractions are percentages of Alakazam's HP). When a critical hit lands, it ignores all stat boosts the opponent has (kind of like Bidoof's Unaware ability), so the damage is 150 (Hyper Beam's base damage) x 2, minus nothing because stat boosts are ignored. So that critical-hit Hyper Beam will OHKO the Alakazam.

Or, take my earlier example:
    Ninetales said:
    The only bad thing about those booster moves is that critical hits ignore all those stat boosts. I learned that the hard way when I was battling Cynthia in Pearl. While battling her Leech Seeded Lucario, my Vespiquen used Defend Order six times. Then she sent out Milotic and I didn't switch because I had a superpowered Vespiquen who was maxed out in both defenses. I thought my Vespiquen would be fine... until Milotic's Ice Beam landed a critical hit and KO'd my Vespiquen... X_X

If that Ice Beam had not been a critical hit, it would have done very little damage to Vespiquen, because of its already high Special Defense and maxed out Special Defense from the Defend Orders. (That is what happened in that battle one turn before the critical hit...) But that critical hit ignored all those defence boosts, and did damage as if Vespiquen had never used Defend Order at all.

Hopefully that explains it... ^_^'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    It's annoying how that works :<
    You think you get the upper hand when you've bulked up your stats like that, and then the game goes and fires a Critical Hit in your face.
    I suppose it keeps it fair for the opponent at least..

If I remember right, the moves Reflect and Light Screen still half the damage taken from Critical Hits. I haven't used them much other than on my Togekiss so i'm not certain however :3

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
    woah so that's how it works, that's crazy. Yeah it may seem a little unfair but we've all had CH win battles in our favor :)

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Well, say your opponent's Alakazam uses Calm Mind six times, so is maxed out in both Special stats. Then your Gyarados uses Hyper Beam (a Special attack in D/P) and does say, 1/4 damage to Alakazam because its Special Defense is so high. But a while later, that same Gyarados uses Hyper Beam and it's a critical hit. But this doesn't mean it does 1/2 damage to Alakazam (these fractions are percentages of Alakazam's HP). When a critical hit lands, it ignores all stat boosts the opponent has (kind of like Bidoof's Unaware ability), so the damage is 150 (Hyper Beam's base damage) x 2, minus nothing because stat boosts are ignored. So that critical-hit Hyper Beam will OHKO the Alakazam.

I know it's just an example, but it's a bad example. A Gyarados Hyper Beam does 1/10 damage to a full 6-Calm-Minded Alakazam, and a crit from that does 92.03% - 108.37%- not even a guaranteed OHKO. And this is if Gyara has Max SAtk EVs. This is why Gyara never carries Special attacks.

Also, there is no way in hell Alakazam can get 6 Calm Minds off- he has some of the worst defenses in the game, he'll be killed before he can get to 3.

[/nitpicking]

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
    lol well its tough to make a solid example if you don't exaggurate your point, it makes it easier to understand

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Not really... it depends. If the foe is stronger or has the advantage, I won't use them. But some like Safeguard, Mirror coat or Protect can really help.

Rainfall

~Solitude
    Years
    These moves can be very useful in battle, of course I use them. Calm Mind, Swords Dance, I use them. A good power up never hurts. ^^

Back