• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use your master ball?

Pecilia

Best Witch
    Years
    I save them for the traveling pokemon. Like Mespirit, Entei, Cressalia, etc. I hate chasing them so if I can't hit it with a quick ball I just go for the master. Pretty impatient when it comes to those guys.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't use Master Ball. Well, most of the time. d: When it comes capturing legendaries, I always try to use the regular type of Poké Balls—even on roaming ones. If I ever end up encountering a roaming legendary Pokémon, first thing I do is strike an attack to lower its health a bit. Then, I will go into the Pokémon Center and stack my team up with Pokémon that could help me capturing this legendary, such as those who know how to use Mean Look, Thunder Wave, False Swipe, etc. When I'm all set, I would start hunting this Pokémon. As soon as I encounter it, I'd use Mean Look instantly, so that it'd be blocked from escaping. After that, I'd have it paralyzed and bring it down to its lowest possible health. Now, it's ready for capturing! I could use any Poké Ball that I like (other than Master Ball, of course), and nothing would ever be able to stop me. (: Last time I've used a Master Ball was when playing Emerald, I think. I've used it once in Pokémon Y, but that doesn't totally count, since I reset the game immediately after the capture.

Last edited:

Pecilia

Best Witch
    Years
    I don't use Master Ball. Well, most of the time. d: When it comes capturing legendaries, I always try to use the regular type of Poké Balls—even on roaming ones. If I ever end up encountering a roaming legendary Pokémon, first thing I do is strike an attack to lower its health a bit. Then, I will go into the Pokémon Center and stack my team up with Pokémon that could help me capturing this legendary, such as those who know how to use Mean Look, Thunder Wave, False Swipe, etc. When I'm all set, I would start hunting this Pokémon. As soon as I encounter it, I'd use Mean Look instantly, so that it'd be blocked from escaping. After that, I'd have it paralyzed and bring it down to its lowest possible health. Now, it's ready for capturing! I could use any Poké Ball that I like (other than Master Ball, of course), and nothing would ever be able to stop me. (: Last time I've used a Master Ball was when playing Emerald, I think. I've used it once in Pokémon Y, but that doesn't totally count, since I reset the game immediately after the capture.

One issue with this is that Entei has roar so you need to get something the prevent you from being thrown out of battle.

Text

Wolf
    Years
    I don't really use my master ball as they are 100% catch
    I wanted it to make it more challenging like using Ultra balls and sometimes when I am bored
    I use a pokeball <===l I caught a kyogre with that once in pokemon emerald.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    I still have my master ball on Pokémon X. I'm saving it for an especially difficult catch, such as Moltres, since it can flee or maybe a shiny that I don't want to lose out on. I've never caught a shiny so I can imagine I'll just panic and throw the master ball at it.

Like many have stated, catching legendaries is no fun when using a master ball. Zygarde was especially difficult to catch without making it faint. I just saved my game right before I walked up to it so I could try and catch it as many times as I needed without waiting.

Ragin Dragon

Dragon Master
    Years
    On ruby i used to catch groudon because I did not want to fight it at the time but i thought it was funny because the guy was all like"you will never beat groudon" and i was like "PEW GO MASTERBALL" instant catch but now i don't use it on Y because I've gotten somewhat better at cathing Legends than on Crystal were it took me forever to get Entei...

EB

Re: World
    Years
    The Master Ball is a gift of the almighty Arceus and should never, ever be used.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
    I like to coerce Pokemon into my poke balls by threatening to use the Master Ball.

"Just don't fight it, enter this lovely poke ball, it has all the amenities you need!"

"Look don't fight it. You can either get in here willingly, or I can force it on you with this bad boy!"

*pats the Master Ball*

"Yeah, that's what I thought."

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
    I always use the Master Ball, but only on those Legendaries that are difficult to catch, but still permitted for the Battle Subway such as the Swords of Justice. I never use it on Reshiram or Zekrom, because they're simply easier to catch than others.

braixen

the supreme meme
    Years
    i never use my master ball because i never see a point in using it if i can catch it with a pokeball. even if it does take more effort i just hate using it bc i feel like i've used it on the wrong pokemon or s/t lol

Years
    My Master Ball is always reserved for that moment when I come across a shiny Pokemon that I'm worried I won't be able to catch with another Poke Ball- either because my other Pokemon are overleveled compared to it, or it has a ridiculously low catch rate.

I only time I actually used the Master Ball in a situation like that was with a Shiny Ducklett on Pokemon White. Looking back, I probably jumped the gun and could've caught it with another ball, but it was 3 in the morning, and I wasn't going to take my chances by accidentally knocking it out while half asleep.

Years
    It depends. Usually I'd reserve it for explosion/whirlwind/roar using shinies, but it's way too situational to ever be used. On X/Y I just used it on Mewtwo to save myself resetting for decent natures and stats.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
    Years
    Master balls - Oh Jesus Christ ,F*** No :D

Ultra balls - Oh my Lord Belial - Yes ,Yes & Yes :D

That is my opinion :]

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
    When I really needed. But I mostly use ultraball for legendaries.
    Also with basic strategy to catch a legendary without using a masterball.

Years
    I don't usually use the masterball because it takes away the climactic legendary battle :p If I use it I wouldn't feel as fulfilled as a battle were I throw all my pokeballs at the guy XD Also, I guess I'd only use it on Mewtwo :p

Years
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But I don't really like using it, since there's only one of it. Also, it takes out a lot of the work in capturing awesome legendaries. I tend to capture everything in pokeballs, since I just like the design better than the other balls.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I was catching my Giratina in Platinum using Master Ball, but I've decided to not use it in future games afterwards, because usually I only got one of the Master Ball.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
    This is the first game I still have my master ball after catching the legendary pokemon. Not complaining about that though, it's just interesting to note. Usually I need it for at least one pokemon somewhere.

Back