• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use your Masterball?

Years
  • Whenever you go against your first Legendary Pokemon, do you tend to use your Masterball on it?

Back before the HG/SS remakes I would always resort to using my Masterball on my first Legendary that I encounter, because I'd never thought of the idea of there being multiple Legendaries in the game (ignorant I know). However ever since HG/SS I have always saved my Masterball for the last available legendary in the game and always tried to catch any preceding Legendary in either a Pokeball/Premier Ball, Great Ball, or Ultra Ball (with Ultra Ball being the most successful)

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • For me, it depends on which Legendary Pokemon it is. Back in Generation 5 I encountered Zekrom, and found him quite easy to catch with a couple Ultra Balls. If it's any other Legendary I'd rather use my Masterball instead.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I used to always catch the main game legendary with the masterball up until dppt. I replayed those a lot and I kinda thought to myself "I don't even like legendaries" and that was the start of me just defeating the legendary and carrying on. HG/SS makes you feel like a loser for not catching it I will say.

ArcanineWithABow

Cutie Pup
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I never use my Masterball, because I am scared that I would regret it. Honestly, the only time I use a masterball is on fleeing Pokemon.

Never on the non-fleeing Pokemon. Then I find Ultra Balls to be useless...does it seem that Great Balls and Pokeballs catch more than Ultra Balls?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In terms of design, Master Ball is one of my most favorites out there. It's sleek, simplistic, and overall, has a pretty decent color-scheme. As for mechanics, I feel it's rather unique. With this ball, we are guaranteed to catch any Pokémon we throw it at, whether it be something as easy to capture as Zigzagoon, all the way to one of world's toughest and most powerful Pokémon, Mewtwo.

Aside from successfully winning lottery, which has very, very low chance of happening, we don't have any opportunity to get a hold of this item aside from only one, which happens through story-line. Due to it being rare, I always find me fighting against myself as to when would be the right time to be using such a thing and whatnot. Sometimes, I don't wind up using it at all, and leave it there sitting inside my backpack.

Last time I had used this ball, if I remember correctly, was in Pokémon HeartGold version, to capture Suicune. I've wanted this Pokémon to be on my team, and as it was constantly running away from battles, I wound up choosing not to waste any time and throw Master Ball.

Years
  • Most of my reason for using the Master Ball is if i'm attempting to reset for a good natured/IV'd legendary, which is much easier in Generation VI since they now always have at least three perfect IVs. But other than that it's not that much of a necessity, although it's still there when I feel like using it on something epic.

Years
  • No. I always catch the version mascot in any other type of Poke Ball, which is mostly in Ultra Balls, but the last two version mascots I've caught have been in a Repeat Ball and Net Ball. I'll usually use my Master Ball on the strongest legendaries in the game, like Rayquaza, Kyurem, Giratina, etc. Once in a while, I'll waste my Master Ball on something random like a Fletchling.

Years
  • Like you, I used to use it straight away back in the day cause I didn't realise there was more than one Legendary lol but now I only really use it for roaming Pokémon :) I LOVE getting to use it on Raikou cause the purple colour scheme of the Master Ball looks awesome with the purple plume on its back :)

The only roamer I haven't used it on was Latios in SoulSilver cause I managed to get a Quick Ball to work on the first try but in general I haven't the patience to attempt that with roamers lol :) With stationary Legendaries for some reason I have all the patience in the world lol, I'm always determined not to use Master Balls cause I like the feeling of working for it, especially if it's not going anywhere :) (The only one that tempted me to use a Master Ball was the thought of catching the level 70 Ho-Oh... except it turned out to be one of the easiest to catch lol) xD

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Never. The only cases where I think the master ball is worth is on shinny fleeing pokemon (like roaming legends or pokes like abra that can flee) or when trying to get a good IV'd legendary by soft resetting.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Of course not. The Master Ball is "Too Awesome To Use".

No. I always catch the version mascot in any other type of Poke Ball, which is mostly in Ultra Balls, but the last two version mascots I've caught have been in a Repeat Ball and Net Ball. I'll usually use my Master Ball on the strongest legendaries in the game, like Rayquaza, Kyurem, Giratina, etc. Once in a while, I'll waste my Master Ball on something random like a Fletchling.

The Repeat Ball is useless unless you already have the Pokémon in your Pokédex. So you were handicapping yourself.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The Repeat Ball is useless unless you already have the Pokémon in your Pokédex. So you were handicapping yourself.

Yeah, that's why I use it. Anyways, I don't really use it on roaming Pokemon, simply because most games have multiple roaming Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Nope, I don't use the Master Ball, I have no use for it. Regular Poké Balls look better (though I'm thinking of changing to a different type, for a nice theme).

Years
  • I used it in Gen I to catch Mewtwo but now that there's a lot of legendaries, I don't really use it anymore. And it's more challenging to catch them with simple balls.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Nah, not unless I absolutely have to. I like to save my Master Ball just in case. I'd hate to use my Maser Ball on a legendary and later find a legendary as a shiny.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Up untill gen 5 I used it mostly for the last roaming Pokemon (in SS I used it to capture Latios after spending a whole day catching the three beasts). In X I still have it and I'll probably trade it to ORAS as soon as I get one of the new versions. There I'll use it to make catching legendaries with certain Nature/IVs easier, because reseting takes long enough as it is.

Years
  • I've always saved my Master Ball for the off-chance that I found a shiny Pokemon, seeing as I'd have unfortunate run-ins with both a shiny Teddiursa and shiny Paras in the past. You can always save the game right before you battle a stationary legendary Pokemon, but you've got no such luxury against shiny Pokemon, so I don't want to take the risk, even if it means you end up using your Master Ball on a Ducklett like I did, haha.

Years
  • I generally save it for Pokemon like Thundurus in B/W or Zapdos in HG/SS. You know, the ones that run as soon as you meet them. Masterballs make them easy. They're much more useful on those pokemon than they are on palkia and such.

Disolia

Friend of the Lurantis
    Years
    • MI
    • Seen Aug 14, 2019
    The only time I would consider using a Master Ball is if I ran into a shiny Pokemon that knew the move Roar, whirlwind, or Teleport.

Back