• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use your starter?

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
  • Do you use your starter, or do you store it in the PC?

I tried to not use my Pikachu in Yellow but I feel bad. I never did a game without the starter.

What about you?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I've never not used the starter. Is there ever a reason to give it up? They're typically quite powerful.
    The only time I might stop using it is postgame when I'm just trying to level up other Pokémon.

drfaustfaustus

Not a real doctor
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2018
    I try to, usually, but it only works out in Gen 2, since I don't find any Pokemon besides my starter that interest me until the point where it's too strong to not use.

In Gen 1, for example, my entire team is almost always overshadowed by one Pokemon I took a liking to that became extremely overleveled, typically a Nidoking, Gyarados, or if I can get one, a Thick Club Marowak.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Unless it's a challenge run, I always use my starter. I grow too attached to them to put them in the PC, at least for a while. In the most recent games, I actually did put my starter in the PC for a bit because it was getting way too overleveled from Exp Share as I tried to train up other Pokemon, but aside from that, my starter is always an integral part of my team. Actually, back in Red, if my starter wasn't in the first slot in my party, it had to be in the second slot, or else I was concerned it would be unhappy (even though happiness wasn't actually a mechanic back then, and when it became a mechanic, it had nothing to do with party slots). I would go through multiple party-juggling steps to move my Blastoise from the first to second slot and then move whatever Pokemon I wanted to use to the front, rather than just switching Blastoise with the target Pokemon directly.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • Honestly, I feel uncomplete without my starter in my team even if its hard to level and easily die but after all that hard-leveling I made, it finally become the strongest pokemon in my team ●ω●

so yeah, I never gonna leave my starter behind ☆☆☆

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • Unless I plan to play through the game with certain Pokemon only (i.e. a monotype challenge that isn't grass, fire or water), I always use my starter. I also tend to get emotionally attached to my first Pokemon, so I feel bad ditching it in the main story.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    After post-game, I don't tend to use starters and begin rotating teams consistently

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I'm not a fan of the starter designs in gen V and VI so I got rid of them at the first opportunity. Fennekin and Oshawott are cute as hell but I hate their final evolutions.

Reactions: EC

Sirfetch’d

I do on my first 3 play throughs of a new game and then after that I tend to box them. Starters tend to make the game really easy, especially early, and I like to experiment playing the game with different types of Pokemon.

LexAnarchy

Lunacy at its finest.
    Years
  • I hardly ever use starters. Sure, they can be handy for defeating the first two gyms, but as soon as I catch two or three other Pokemon, I place them in my PC and never touch them again until the metagame. I don't know, they just seem boring to me. Like everybody uses them. And they're mostly pretty damn powerful, which takes away the challenge from the game (if there even is such a thing) really. Even if I like them, I actually like a lot of the starters like Treecko, Cyndaquil, Turtwig, Totodile and so on, I somehow always end up having them in my PC box.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I always use my starter throughout the whole game. And it's usually one of the few Pokemon I keep around for the post-game.

Fennekin and Oshawott are cute as hell but I hate their final evolutions.

Yeah, Samurott is a horrible design. Probably why I only did one run with him and then did other runs with the other two starters.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Only time I didn't use my starter was in my 1st Black nuzrun as I'm not the biggest fan of the gwn5 starters. Otherwise I always use 'em.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I did not use my starter in my third run of Pokemon Ruby; my cousin had wanted it, and she gave me a Gyarados in exchange, which was more than enough powerful for beginning parts of the game.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I always use my starter throughout the whole game. And it's usually one of the few Pokemon I keep around for the post-game.

Yeah, Samurott is a horrible design. Probably why I only did one run with him and then did other runs with the other two starters.

I look at it and all I see is an old man.

Crin

Life is all about choices
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    On my first playthrough of a game, I always use my starter, but after that I almost never do. Probably because I'm most likley doing a challenge or I don't feel compelled to use it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I used to always use the starter, but then I got bored of trying to form a team around the same three pokemon every couple of years loool... so I started ditching the starter. At first it was weird to me, but honestly it's made for such better game play. keeps it interesting ya know?

Years
  • I almost always use my starter, they are designed to help you trough the post-game and are relatively powerful. I only put my starter in the pc when I train other Pokemons. The only time I never used my starter was during my bug catcher play trough when I considered a random Weedle to be my new starter, while I released my normal starter.

Yuutsa

Regretting life, one step at a time
    Years
  • It really depends for me. In Johto, I almost always do, but that's just because I love the cyndaquil line. In Hoenn, I kept Mudkip the first time around, but now I usually trade it out for something that I'm more interested in. Unova I kept my Pignite in the party the whole game, but I didn't really use it because I hated the design of the line after Tepig.

I like Charizard a lot too, but I only play Kanto games once in a blue moon, and it's usually for a challenge play through, thus Charizard isn't usually an option.

Bay

Years
  • I tend to always keep my starter all the way in my playthoughs (even Pikachu in Yellow). Yeah, like a few others if my starter was with me for a bit already I would feel bad if I boxed them. I don't mind if they're already powerful as I tend to train my team around the same levels anyways.

(To those that didn't like Samurott, aw I like its design haha).

Back