• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you want kids?!

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
  • This kinda follows on from my answer in the other thread, as not planning to ever have sex kind of precludes kids for the most part. Either way, though, no. I don't want kids, ever. One, I really don't like kids. They smell, they make lots of noise and they expel bodily fluids all over the place from every available orifice. When they get older, they run around making even more noise and getting underfoot while generally finding ways to cause you trouble.

The second reason is that I'd be a terrible father. Mostly for the reason I outlined above, but also because I just don't think I'd do very well at it. Teacher, I can do (high school and up, tyvm), but parent? Fuggeddaboutit.

Years
  • lolwhat?

Not to be patronizing to most of you, but I think some people are a little young to be saying 'no don't want them eva'. I think most of you will change your minds.

In the future I would yes, but only if and when I am with someone; no chance of me being a single dad.​

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Noooooooope.

Although, like Fabio said, I might change my mind on this issue. Highly doubtful, but not impossible.

Although, again, it also seems a bit patronizing to think that everyone does want kids when they grow up. I know a lot of people/couples in their 40s-50s who haven't had kids and were perfectly happy with that. Obviously there are many couples in the opposite situation as well but, whatevs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Maybe in the distant future I would adopt. I'm really good with kids; but the main negative is that there's no way to predetermine what they're going to be like, and I'd hate to end up having to devote such a large portion of my life to an irritating brat. Maybe temporary fostering would be a better idea, but definitely nowhere in the near future.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • I'd love to be a dad but it's never going to happen.
    I have a large family and I've been looking after my kid brothers and sisters so yeah it's something I'm really used to.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I really want to be a father at some point, so yeah, I do plan on having kids eventually. Although, I will adopt, because I know there are children out there that have no family available to take care of them and that breaks my heart. ;__;

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    No. ...I really don't think I would have the patience to deal with them.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I want to have children but not now. I am still in college as a Sophomore and I need to get a house, move in with my boyfriend and have a stable career before having children because I do not want to be like some of my friends that are already mothers. I want my children to have the best

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I know I've always been like "NO WHY WOULD I DO THAT" but I've kind of softened over the years and maybe I'd like to be a mom idk. But the thought of pregnancy or childbirth terrifies me to no end so we'll see. :(

So I guess that was a pretty roundabout way to say I think I might want to have kids. Or just kid. I dunno. It's too early for me to be thinking about this.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm not even sure... my boyfriend and I want them but at the same time, when I see kids screaming and crying when I'm out it drives me crazy. I tend to lose my cool somewhat quickly when it comes to noise (I hate noise) so I don't know how ready I am yet.

Years
  • It's something I've always said that I'll make that decision when I'm in the right stage of my life to do so. Or accidental pregnancy. Whichever comes first. :(

If it came up right now, I'd say no. Don't feel responsible enough. Besides, it's lots of time and money to raise a kid and it doesn't seem worth it for me.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Absolutely; no doubt; yes.

Two kids would be lovely. And I really want a girl. For the longest time, when I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said "to be a Dad." And I still want to be one.

But first, getting my own life rockin'. I don't want kids too soon.

Years
  • Yeah. Twins run in the family, and I always thought being an identical/fraternal twin would be really cool. It would be a handful, but I'd love that.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • I don't mind.

It would be nice to have kids with a loved wife.

As for adopting.... if I had the money, it's still a good thing, but I don't.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Dr Seuss said:
    I do not like them in a box
    I do not like them with a fox
    I do not like them in a house
    I do not like them with a mouse
    I do not like them here or there
    I do not like them anywhere

I don't think I've made it any sort of secret that I do not like children and I do not want them... anywhere in my vicinity. They are not part of my life plan. They do not fit into my E! True Hollywood Story. This is a big point of contention in my house because my sister says she doesn't want children either, but my mother desperately wants grandchildren.

What my mother doesn't seem to understand is that neither of us were made to be parents. I'm not comfortable with the idea of having children just so that she can have grandchildren. If she wishes to raise them, then I will immediately begin depositing sperm samples into a cup and searching for a viable and willing egg. Until such a time as she agrees to this, there's just no way. I am not sacrificing my life to raise another person. I'm genuinely shocked that anybody does.

I've seen what happens to people when they have children, and I would never wish it on myself or my worst enemy. I was watching my mother at a party recently, speaking to a woman who had a baby five months ago. Let's call her Exhibit A. Or Bethany. No, we'll go with Exhibit A. I didn't know anybody at the party so I was stuck there listening to their conversation about baby Benjamin, and I have never been so bored in my life.

We had met Exhibit A several times while she was pregnant. She was a big career woman; she wanted to get to the top and she had her eyes on the prize. She was less than thrilled at being pregnant and even less thrilled at the prospect of being a mother. She didn't particularly care for the whole thing, but felt obligated to go through with the pregnancy for her husband. While we were speaking to her this time, however, she had this brainwashed smile plastered to her face and she spoke about nothing but that goddamn child for an entire hour.

Within ten minutes, I had learned more facts about her offspring than I would ever have cared to. I learned that he was being breastfed and that this gave Exhibit A a feeling of most overwhelming maternal joy. I learned that while most babies weigh less upon leaving the hospital than they do when they're born, Benjamin was the shining exception to this rule and weighed more! I also learned that he is an incredibly affectionate boy ("And I hope he doesn't change!").

Oh and guess what guys? Guess what! You're never going to believe this –it's absolutely groundbreaking. Apparently, the previous day, little Benjamin had tried kiwi fruit for the first time! And you'll never believe it: he loved it. He absolutely LOVED it.

The point I'm trying to make here is that at some point between the last time I had met Exhibit A and this encounter, one day of barbarically pushing a baby out of her stomach turned her from a fascinating, intelligent, insightful conversationalist with so much to offer into an insufferable bore. Her personality was still there - just as bright as ever - but there was a cold, dead quality behind her eyes and in the way she carried herself. Something had shifted and diminished within her, and while the bubbly enthusiastic shell was still there, there was just nothing left of what made her who she used to be. This is a cliché, but she was a shadow of her former self. I then looked down at the child she was holding and all I could think was "this is what you did to her."

Now, I know it wasn't his fault. He didn't ask to be born, he didn't choose this, and I know that babies are necessary to continue the human race. Even still, I can't help but feel that every single one of us has destroyed our parents. We, through no fault of our own, just by coming into existence tear apart everything that they were, everything that made them people, and replace it with what makes them parents.

The sad part is that this woman wasn't even the first person I've seen this happen to. My mother was. What I've learned from my mother, not being able to remember what she was like around others when I was little Benjamin's age, is that this behaviour never goes away. While it could be argued that Exhibit A was a new mother and therefore a certain level of infatuation with her newborn is to be expected, my mother is not a new mother. I am her youngest and I am 21 years old. Even still, I hear her speaking to other people and even now, 21 years after her most recent birthing experience, my sister and I take up far too large a percentage of what she talks about.

Every now and then, I look at my mother and really take her in. She seems happy enough, but she sacrificed everything she was to be my mother. I am eternally grateful for that, because it made my childhood amazing. But whenever I do this, I get to thinking about what she might have been like before she was a mother; when she was a person. Whoever she was back then, I feel so guilty for taking that away from her.

This is something I could just never let happen to myself. I could never let my mind be dismantled that way and biologically reconstituted into a one-track baby-defence mechanism. To put it simply, I need to live my life for me, and the maternal/paternal instinct scares the hell out of me for this very reason. Luckily, it also seems to have skipped me. I could never live my life in the mind-wiped servitude of somebody else.

My aunt and uncle, the two happiest people I have ever met, are childless. My two celebrity idols, Kathy Griffin and Chelsea Handler, are happily and proudly childless. While people with kids are often filled with 'sympathy' (see: thinly-veiled condescension) for those without them, I think the people who are happiest in life are the ones who are free at all times to live as they please.

This is also why it annoys me when I tell my mother – or any adult with kids, for that matter - that I don't want children, full-well knowing the exact reasons for this decision (the above are not the only reasons either, by the way) only to have them condescendingly reply "that'll change. You'll want kids one day." No, I won't. Not everybody has kids. Not everybody wants them. Not everybody is made to be a parent.

But regardless of this, I am now going to take this little opportunity to be a parent to all of you boys out there: ALWAYS WEAR A CONDOM. Even if your female partner is on the pill, wear a condom anyway. You can never be too safe. The pill is not 100% effective. You don't understand what you're risking if you don't.

tl;dr: No, I don't want kids. Yes, I'm sure.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
  • I can't imagine myself without kids in the future. I just want to have a nice family with kids and stuff. Either through adoption or something else, I just have to have kids :P

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • As much fun as it would probably be to be a father, I'm afraid to take such a big responsibilities in my hands, as I'm always afraid of screwing up somehow.
    I easily begin to doubt myself whenever I fail at something and I can't imagine how I would feel if something were to happen to that child, (I would only want one if it was to happen) or if they grew up to be a criminal or something.

But as I'm still young and naive there are sure to be changes in my view on things, so I'll just have to see what the future brings.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Certainly I would like becoming father in maybe 8, 9 or 10 years. The main problem with this idea? Not responsibilities or noise but the process of becoming father. I know myself too well to imagine me succeeding at that.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I don't plan on having kids in the next few years, I would prefer to settle down completely in order to give it considerable thought. But I like kids, therefore I don't disregard the thought of having some in the future.

Back