• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does anyone else find these games boring?

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    ...Yeah... -sigh- I was disappointed in Kanto beyond belief. I'm just plain frustrated with it. What caused the game developers think that they did a great job on Kanto? I mean, its like they finished Johto, and were like "Sweet! Finished!" and then someone reminded them they had to continue into Kanto... "Oh... well... crap... let's hurry it up and just make the gyms important or something..."
    That's how Kanto is like in the original G/S versions.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Personally, I am loving this remake! Like others have said, I am going to cringe when I get to Kanto. It was a blast getting there in GSC, but when you got there it was like - "this is it???". I was hoping HGSS would improve our Kanto experience, but apparently the developers didn't feel the need. The overall storyline of HGSS is undeniably the best and it is great being able to play it again.

Now what I find horribly boring and a waste of time was DP (never even bothered with Pt). Bad storyline, bad Pokemon, bad mechanics (although I admit the new battle strategy is warming up to me). Just not a good Pokemon game. Of course that just makes HGSS that much better and is easily the second best Pokemon game behind Emerald.

Sardonix

::Divinity AllSpark Holder::
    Years
  • I've never really found any of the games to be boring. Didn't care for Ruby and Sapphire much, though. By far, SoulSilver and HeartGold are the best. I did enjoy Platinum, though. I played it A LOT.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I think A lot of people some where deep down are disappointed in this game for the simple fact that it was hyped way to much. I never had that high expectations of it because to me jhoto was and still is a terribly executed game (mainly is the 2nd part of the Game) And that is why i can still enjoy it with out any problems

P.S
    Dont take my comment as that i hate or even Dislike HGSS or GSC i love them. I just dont think their the greatest pokemon game unlike everyone else, most people only like it because it has two regions and that most fans that are still around today started the pokemon journey with either G/S ( i did not by the way RED all the way)

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    If the game had any low point, it was Kanto IMO. ._.

@OP: What were you expecting, a Pokemon game with a different storyline from the others? XD

No, I dunno, I think it's because I've played the games before that I find it slightly boring d: (GSC)

Maybe not playing both of them? I mean there the same game, so playing both, especially at the same time is bound to make you bored. I mean half of the "Version Exclusives" can be found at the safari and other places, and version exclusives is pretty much the only difference.

I OWN both, I'm not currently playing both. Currently, I'm playing SS (just restarted).

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    No not at all, I love that I can use my current team(s) in Johto, I'm currently facing the Pokémon League for the 139th time (Japanese, don't have the English yet) and I'm still not bored.

Lazenca

Chef~
    Years
  • I cannot say these games are boring because ever since I got it, its the only game I'm playing. I love reliving the memories of Silver when I was a kid and the enhanced graphics make it all the better. I've been inactive on the forums because of this game! But really as said above, stick with one game and give yourself personal goals. My goal is to resurrect my best team from Silver and use it online.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2010
    I get bored because I'm busy looking for a place to level my pokemon from 30-40 and then 40-50. It's quite a pain.

Astro*Zombies

Psychic & Ghost Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Cant say im bored yet but i guess thats cause im about to enter the ice path since i usally only play like 30 mins a day.

SiReNzZ

I ♥ Misty.
    Years
  • I only got it today so I dont thinki ts boring at all .
    I plan to beat it 100% so hopefully it wont get boring :)

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    Whaaaaaaat?! How are you bored?! 0_0 You're not even near the end of the game! Well, neither am I, but I was never bored. I just beat Clair yesterday. Maybe you should stop playing one and try to get to the climax of one game first; then when you get to Kanto or something, catch the other game up. Did you think that the storylines were going to be different or someing? They're the same game, but different in several ways. If you're bored, then just don't play it.

Years
  • If there was any pokemon game that bored me it was Platinum I hated it!!!

I loved the original gold and silver and I think HG and SS are great!

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • Don't play both, never play more than one Pokemon game at once. I've tried it, it's mad boring. You gotta do them one at a time. And just like making out, it's never as good as it is the first time.

Also don't play all day long, restrict yourself to one hour a day and you'll find yourself hungering to play it =]. Don't train your Pokemon too hard either, keep them a bit under-leveled to add more challenge. Don't use legendaries either.

That should help ya out =P

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I admit, I was somewhat bored as the game is a large case of deja vu (I have recently played Gold, so I remember the trainers/teams...). However, I am easily addicted again since today. The subtle changes (even the redesigned gyms, route cut-scenes, towers, lighthouse, Miltank stable, Team Rocket Hideout, etc have made me appreciate the remakes so much more!).

I found myself liking HGSS way more when I played it continuously instead of when I played it for 20 minutes a day.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • No Heart or Soul in these remakes!

While HeartGold & SoulSilver are essentially good games, you've already played the originals. Yes there are new features that are very enjoyable and a lot has changed since the originals (Physical/Special split is a big one) but when it comes to the crunch you are just playing the same games again. That's why, regardless of how well it was made, I never really got into the hack ShinyGold. When I first played Silver it was enjoyable enough but why just make them again? I enjoy playing a whole new region with whole new gym leaders, pokemon etc. I deliberately keep myself in the dark about the game's plot etc. to surpirse myself. In HeartGold I can't assemble a whole team of new pokemon and it becomes quite dull.

I really hope they do not remake the Gen III games in Gen V. Emerald was the best pokemon game so far IMO and it is enjoyable enough as it is. I replay it regularly. A remake is pointless. Gamefreak/Nintendo are just tring to squeeze a little money out of nostalgia. FireRed & LeafGreen were both good ideas, bringing the originals up to date. But it seemed like the just made HG/SS to cash in on what a few fan's wanted. They didn't really make it with much love. The remixes of the original music are scratchy and rushed to say the least. The spriting is pitiful.... A good example of this is Jolteon. Here is Jolteon's original Gold sprite:
    Does anyone else find these games boring?

Its pretty well made. It shows clear progress from its original sprite in Red/Blue/Yellow making great use of new technology at the time. The colours are fairly well balanced. I'm sure we'd all agree its a very good sprite. Here now is Jolteon's HeartGold sprite:
    Does anyone else find these games boring?

It's sketchy, it's bland, it looks like a three year old hyped up on Ribena has gone ape with some black and pale yellow crayons. This is not made with love. It was done quickly to get out HG/SS and make some money. Kerching! I'm not saying Gamefreak/Nintendo are horrible, 15-headed corporate levithans only desperate for moolah. I thought D/P/Pt were very good games. They had their flaws but you could tell the creators enjoyed what they were doing and it comes through in the finished product. HG/SS was just a chance to make a quick buck of of nostalgia and they didn't put a lot of heart or soul into their work (oh the irony!).

I'm sure that Gen 5 will be very well done with the sort of flair that we all love from pokemon games. Just please... please don't release any more remakes for at least another 10 years! And when you do, pretend you like doing what you are doing and change the regions and storyline slightly so it is not a carbon copy of the original. Nostalgia and innovation can be balanced. That is what makes a good remake.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ^ To be fair, that's the worst sprite of them all, and IMO I don't think there's very many at all that are that bad. A bad job at one sprite does not mean they put limited effort in these games, I feel... and stuff like the in-depth reactions you can get from talking to your Pokemon, and even stuff like haring waves when you walk near water suggests to me that they certainly put effort here. =P (But hey, you're The Cynic after all ;P)

Each to his/her own about whether they find playing the remakes of old games fun or not as well I suppose - I'm certainly enjoying playing the upgraded versions of GSC for one. =D

And personally on the thread topic... I'm not finding the games boring at all at the moment, although I haven't played too much. I guess I like these games too much. *whistles GSC/HGSS tunes innocently*

Spike Kintarin

Don't run! It's just ham!
    Years

• That's how Kanto is like in the original G/S versions.

Well, I know that. It's just, to me, it feels like they could've done slightly better and given HG/SS's Kanto a better job, rather than "welp, let's just finish this and do it just like Gold and Silver"...

I don't know. I'm getting through it (just beat Misty and captured Suicune), and am kinda getting back in the hang of things. I guess I just hit a bit of a training "rut" or whatever.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I bought and played Diamond and Pearl at the same time. Eventually, I just started to favor Diamond more, so I went ahead and beat it. Later, I came back to Pearl and did the same. So just choose the one you like more, beat it, then come back to the other.

blueblur155

Proud American Citizen
    Years
  • Personally, I'm stoked with SoulSilver and love the similarities to Gen 2. However, training takes quite awhile and can seem to drone on and on, but just keep playing and eventually you're team'll be unbeatable, and I mean online or against friends, not the CPU that I can beat with a Caterpie. (No, I have not tried this yet, but I am considering it after I beat Red)

Back