• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does anyone else find these games the creepiest in the series?

Parasyct

Ya Boi
Years
  • This is oddly relatable. I swear every aspect referred in the main post used to get me pretty uneasy as a kid and brings me a lot of great memories, I think that's actually one of the main reasons I like these games.

I remember being super excited over finding Turnback Cave, just casually running around and noticing some trees missing, going along the road and then finding that foggy cave with the creepy music and finally a badass Pokémon I had never seen before. And when I went to school and told my friends they didn't believe me xD
    The Darkrai event (the one with the locked house in Canalave, you go there, a shady man suggests you go to sleep since that's an inn, and then you're in the darkrai island, something like that, look it up) was also pretty creepy, I found it on youtube at the time I was playing and it seriously freaked me out for some reason. The Old Chateau and Rotom also bring good spoopy memories, all the speculations and walking around looking for more secrets. Gettin' all nostalgic here.

The only thing people get scared with and didn't matter much to me was the Distortion World. I guess that's because I was already a bit older when I played Platinum

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    yeah gen four definitely had darker tones. i think because it was a very old region filled with myths and lore it was made suitable for that. if there ends up being a dppt remake i'll be so excited to see fairy types incorporated as they are definitely creepy. imagine eterna forest now crawling with little fairy girls lol.

there's been a ghost/hex girl that has made apperances in both xy and oras... i feel like her final encounter or the encounter that will have it all make sense will happen in a dppt remake as that region really began ghosts being in the game... as in people ghosts before someone says marowak.

the whole region has so much potential to get creepier i'd love to see it

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I never thought those games creepy. o: But that's probably because I just swept through these games and paid no attention to any of the side stuff like the Old Chateau. I do agree that it seemed the region seemed colder, what with the dull-ish graphics and of course the overall low temperature of the region. :d

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    It never really scared me as a kid, but in comparison to the other games in the series, I'd say they're the creepiest. D/P/Pt are definitely a lot more atmospheric than the last games.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I forgot how creepy and unsettling the basement of the Galactic HQ laboratory was until I watched Chuggaaconroy's Platinum lets play. It's been seven years since I last played through the story of D/P/Pt so I forgot about that place and the music you hear there.

I remember being creeped out the first time I came across Sendoff Spring all because of the music and the fog.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • Old Chateau's definitely up there. The haunting music really adds to the atmosphere, as well as it being situated in Eterna Forest (which is noticeably creepier than other forests in the Pokémon games). I remember before Platinum came out, there was a thread about Old Chateau theories here. Stuff about the previous inhabitants of the mansion and their fate, based on what you can find in the Old Chateau in-game. I was really fascinated with it and posted some of those theories somewhere else, where a friend ran with them and wrote a great short story explaining everything (I can find it if anyone's interested). Of course, Platinum came out and contradicted it, but that's neither here nor there.

Mis

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    Not really. I think it's just fine. I don't think it's scary that much. I like the part where the ghost appears in the halls, and it goes away automatically. The only scary games was another region I've played in. Sorry if this is a little off-topic. i didn't read all the posts.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • As a kid, I hadn't really cared about anything except the battles and capturing Pokémon. Now that you think of it, these games might be the most f-ed up ones to exist. This 27-year-old guy wants to COMPLETELY rewrite the universe and leave no one alive, not even his comrades. Also considering the facts that a TEN-YEAR-OLD travels to another dimension where a basically demonic being resides, the Old Chateau has two ghosts you can never interact with, and Spiritomb has a very strange method of obtaining (so the people you meet...die? Are they really soulless?), we can safely assume the 4th Gen games are freaking dark.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • For me, no.

Sure, there is Distortion World. But for a nerdy guy like me, I am not scared of Anti-Matter. Lavender Town in scarier than Old Chateu because of *cough* creepypastas *cough*.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • Kidding me? Probably one of the best series yet. Loved every minute of it.

Elekizer

Lover of Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Wow I did not notice that. It's actually Gen 4 which I like best as of now. I've never experienced getting creeps out of pokemon games though.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • WHAT ARE YOU FORGETTING THE HAUNTED HOUSE IN KALOS?! THAT IS TERRIFYING! A HORDE OF FACELESS MEN FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

Nah I'm kidding, they're some really good poitnts raised! I never really though about it much but upon reading your post I'm intrigued. I always thought it had some creepy choices of music and some other issues raised definitely make me feel slightly spooked. One thing you didn't mention is the Cresselia/Darkrai event thing-y which I can't remember properly: you know the one with the kid who's asleep and won't wake up?

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • I didn't know there were people out there actually seeing Gen IV as the best possible

I've tried Pearl after playing multiple emerald hacks and the network was already closed when I had my first play

I think I still have my party but I didn't carry on after arriving in town 5 or 6 because I eventually got bored. I was having this strange feeling all the wild Pokemon I met were piece of crap to battle with

According to your opinions, the story is scary and atmospheric, then I will give it another chance and not care about battles and stuff

cool

The Den

Dark Mystery
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    I definitely remember the hearthome city church building, and all the creepy intellectual stuff that was said in there. Also, that weird ghost person on route 217 that gives you the Spell Tag is noteworthy as well.

Years
  • I don't find it scary. except for one part near the end of the game where a gym leader named Jasmine from the johto region comes to give you waterfall. She says "Seeing you two together makes me feel warm!" when your playing as the boy character and your rival is standing right next to you. i think thats creepy.

Stormelli

Chillin' like a villain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    I'd have to agree that these are some of the creepiest games! The start menu music and the sound effect that plays when you press start to begin on Diamond and Pearl actually made me very uneasy the first time I played it (I was about eleven or twelve) and honestly it freaked me out seeing those ghosts in the Old Chateau. It was totally unexpected because all I wanted was to find Rotom.

Don't get me started on the Hearthome Church... I hadn't paid much attention to it the first time I played the game, but I recently replayed an emulated Diamond, and I spent HOURS on the internet trying to see if there was an event that was supposed to happen or a Pokemon to catch. It made me very uneasy, especially with the lack of the upbeat Hearthome City music.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I never really thought about it before, but you are right. Diamond and Pearl definitely have a creepier tone than some of the other games. I remember going into the distortion world when it was really late at night and I was half asleep, which made it seem extra creepy. And that music. There was also the Old Chateau, which was one of my favorite parts of the game. Then there's Giratina and Darkrai.

Yeah, DP was definitely on the creepy side... no wonder it is one of my favorite generations and games :3

Back