• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else get made fun of for playing Pokemon?

Years
  • You people are lucky, if ANYONE found out that I still play it i would be the outcast of the school. Im a high school student that lives in a small town where everybody thinks its cool to be a hillbilly redneck and chew during school and call people fags all of the time (I get called a fag when Im making out with my GIRLfriend, lol)

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • No one knows, and no one will ever know ... Only some friends who play Pokémon know that I play Pokémon too, but that's all.
    One day, a friend of mine that doesn't play it used my cell phone and looked at my songs. As a huge fan, I have all the openings in many languages and game musics on my phone, anyway, except me nobody use it ! But when my friend discovered that, she totally made fun of me "What's those things? xD You listen to Pokémon music?". Wow, that was so embarassing, I didn't know what to say anymore ! Moreover, there was many people around, it was horrible ! Fortunately I'd say something like it was my little brother's songs or something like that and then she stop bothering me. But I was really ashamed... Since this moment I don't want anybody to know that I love Pokémon :pink_blush:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    I never got made fun of, I played it openly in class (at the expense of annoying my teacher like crazy) so no-one could say anything because they knew I wouldn't be embarrassed.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    I got made fun of playing pokemon when I was 12( reason why I joined the community) but now I'm 14 nobody seems to care what you play.
    When they get older they either forget it or they don't care or so.

Rudy

give us a song ex boyfriend
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    lol no b/c it's apparently super cool and quirky to play it nowadays lmao teenagers :-)))

Years
  • No, but I do get made fun of for being on the computer all the time. rofl

But I live in Missouri, so other than going to bars (which I can't do until September), movies, and Wal-Mart, there's not really that much else to do.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Heck yeah I do. But it's from close friends and then they back it up with "But it's cute when you do it!"
    I never got how it is cute, but whatever. :'D
    Plus, a lot of my friends play it, too. So they can't really say TOO much.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Always lol, until I got around people who could respect what others liked even though they didn't themselves, and my friends like it too anyway so it's fine.

Years
  • When I was younger. By the time I was in college (17 years old) people didn't really mind. I even took my DS to college one day and played it during one of my study breaks and a collegue from my Physics class wanted to have a go at battling lol.

Years
  • [SIZE="a"]I haven't told any one at school I like Pokemon mainly because I get enough insults from my family about "don't you think your a bit old for that" I just ignore them but it kind of hurts when your own family insults me for it yes most 16 year olds play CoD and other shooting games but everyone's different and I feel if I told anyone at school id be the laughing stock of the school so I tend to keep it to myself and what makes it worse is there's no one I know that likes Pokemon apart from the kid that's about six down my road and that's just a little bit weird to be honest.[/SIZE]

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • I was on the local subway, some guy asked what I was playing. I told him I was playing Pokemon Black, and he got pissed and started swearing about it. I was thinking "What a DICK!" Then, he got off because he couldn't take it anymore, muttering something about Call of Duty or something. I heard him and said "It takes a REAL MAN to play Pokemon at my age and actually ENJOY it as much as I do." He flipped me off.

Years
  • Well i dont really care about what people think of me it just gets annoying like when i am walking down the hallway and people say stuff like have you caught them all yet or any other generic pokemon insult you can think of.

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Recently people at my school found out that i played pokemon, i have been playing for most of my life, but when i started doing an LP of pokemon sapphire on youtube some people at my school found out, and started telling everyone that i play pokemon, it doesnt really bother me much though because they are just trying to do it to embarrass me, and i dont really care, but has this happened to anyone else and have has it ever got really serious like getting beaten up or bullied for it?

Yes it has, being in my mid 20's and still playing Pokemon; has brought on an almost unending amount of behind the back tuants and teases. However in saying that I have never let it get to me.I If you enjoy Pokemon play it. People will say what wanna say.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2014
    I am sometimes made fun of by my friends as i still play pokemon at the age of 17. But its nothing serious. Also playing games from the 2nd biggest gaming franchise in the world in nothing to be embarrased about :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    High school, yes.

but when I was at Uni... (that's University/College), everyone in my course was like:
    "Pokemon? Hell yeah!"

And have you ever seen the bulk of people at Tournaments? most are like... 15 - 30,
    which being a strategic battling game is understandable.

People who generally tease people are usually idiots not capable of understanding anything lateral.

Back