• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does Anyone else get teased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2008
    I get made fun of at school for playing pokemon. I am 15 and in the 10th grade, but I grew up with Pokemon! I can't help it! I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem I was so that I know i'm not the only one.

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    Hm... It seems as though this would be a great time to check out some AAP sites. Actually I don't really have this problem because I have a close group of friends that actually likes pokemon.

Tokin

:3
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I used to get that but ever since I started being proud about it it stopped ^^

Roy G. Biv

KHAAAAAN!
    Years
    No.
    Because nobody knows o_o

I'm not sure how it'd play out if people knew
    that's why they don't ;D

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
    My mates know I like the games and I know plenty of people who love the games. Don't know wether they go on forums or what not. I'm a big Star Wars fan aswell, I got teased for that a few years back. Until I punched the main people, then they all stopped. If you get teased by your mates, tell them to stop. If they don't, they're not such great friends and deserve a punch.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Nope, people seem to be afraid to tease me. Also if someone does say "You still like Pokémon?" I go "and?". If they try to tease me I continue saying "My mentality is none of your concern". I'm usually listening to music that screams down my eardrums and is so loud others would hear. They've walked away by then or start talking to me about other stuff. xD
    I even got one of my uni friends into pokémon because he wanted to understand the way I think.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My mates know I like the games and I know plenty of people who love the games. Don't know wether they go on forums or what not. I'm a big Star Wars fan aswell, I got teased for that a few years back. Until I punched the main people, then they all stopped. If you get teased by your mates, tell them to stop. If they don't, they're not such great friends and deserve a punch.

It's people like you who need to learn that violence isn't the answer.

Anyways, I don't tell people that I like Pokémon. My two best friends know but they like it as well so that bit of information doesn't really count. Around these parts, if you admit to liking things such as Pokémon, Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh, you are forever slagged by the people who think they're above such nerdy games and the people who like them.

GTAPlayer

Six Star Evasion
    Years
    I don't blame people, recent games ARE looking more childish. However that is the players choice to play whatever games they want. Heck, I don't even play Pokemon anymore and I'm about to sell my Pokemon Diamond game for $60 to some kid in my school.

Emii

I'll Keep Orbiting For You★
    Years
    Hm.. well sorta, but not really much anymore. last year I wore pikachu shirts, and instead of being teased, random people will say "Pikachu! awesome!" and ask me what happened when I stopped wearing it much it became winter and was too cold to wear it XD But other than that, I don't really talk about it much with anyone

Last edited:

Peach●Pit

Ness-chu
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2009
    I get teased because I play on Mario. :/ And Im 17. To hell with what they think, don't let them ruin your fun. : D

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
    I remember in the past being teased about playing Pokemon or showing interest. I was actually more annoyed when they stopped and started to refer to ANY game I played on my Game Boy as "Tetris". That annoyed me even more and thats my legacy in the the school's yearbook >_>

At 15 to 17, guys seem to be at thier most immature. Eventually they'll either wise up or forget about it, but i've come accross one person who generally hates me (He still yells out insults and shouts at me when I see him, and we are both in our mid-20's, funnily enough he NEVER teased me about Pokemon he more tried to do that really evil thing guys do in textiles class, stick pins between thier fingers and pat you on the back...)

In the end, they will stop, either because they mature a little or because they can't get the chance to.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Yeah, you'll probably get teased a lot as a teenager because everyone's out to be a little prick to anyone who looks remotely childish and weak. Your best bet is to just keep your head down and don't feed them metaphorical fuel to shoot back at you. As bland as that advice is, if they don't know, they won't tease you. Yes, I'm advising you to go into the closet, but people like these can't be convinced that your fandoms aren't so bad or that you're not immature for liking it. You could try to defend your right to like it. In fact, if you do, that's thumbs up to you. I've just felt like it never really worked when I was a teenager who got made fun of in high school for my fandoms. *shrug*

After I graduated and moved on to college, it's gotten immensely easier. I don't get teased nowadays, and I'm open about it. It's probably because when you're at my age, everything about your childhood suddenly seems awesome, probably because you're thinking, "In four years, I have to suffer through the real world and start paying my own bills! OH NO!"

So, instead of getting teased, I get, "Awesome. I think I'll join you here, Jax. Let's write smut together!"

In other words, hang in there. Speaking as someone who was there at one point, it gets better after a few years.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Around these parts, if you admit to liking things such as Pokémon, Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh, you are forever slagged by the people who think they're above such nerdy games and the people who like them.

Haha, sad thing is, like all three of those. And a lot of people know about that, too. But I'm kind of hard to tease, since I have a huge patience, so I guess they all just kinda gave up on it.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    Umm...Not really. Most of my friends know I still like Pokemon, and hell, some of them even know I hang out here in my free time. No one's really given me a hard time about it, though XD

Plus to be honest, my "liking pokemon" really only comes from the games. I stopped watching the series back when i was like 9, so I don't really see what the big deal is.

I think the whole "LOL YOU LIKE POKEMON HAHAOMG LUZR" things stops when you're about 13 anyways. Honestly, you must be one self-conscious little mofo if you're still running around past that age making fun of people because of what games they like =/

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    Yes, college is much better. I like lots of "babyish" things, like Pokemon, The Lion King, Kung Fu Panda...my friends know these things and don't care. I remember high school though, it can be tough during those years. Just stand up for yourself and don't let mean ignorant people get to you.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Truthfully, I really don't care what other people think of me.
    There was a time when I used to hide the fact that I still liked Pokémon, however; those days are long gone. When one usually proceeds further into High School, pointless teasings like that tend to stop. Nobody cares what you do there as long as you aren't in anybody's way.

So in complete answer to your question, no, I do not get teased for liking Pokémon. However, it's a bit different when you're a little older. People around my age play Pokémon for the nostalgic feel. In fact, one of the star football players brought in their old Pokémon Yellow during Spanish and everybody wanted to play it. xD

The people who tease you really need to grow up and get a life. If they have nothing better to do than tease you about a hobby, their life must be pretty dull.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back