• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Does anyone else miss the old contests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noltron200

Im not a robot.
Years
  • I know these new contests are pretty flaming, yeah they got hearts, they're pink, they're an embarressment. Hey! I know! Lets make them dance after you throw abunch of trees and stuff on em'! lol yeah now they kinda arent so fun.

But there was a day, son, when contests WERE fun. This was in the GENIII, when they did stuff. Although not everyone liked it, im sure more people liked it then GENIV contests.

Its a poll, so vote the way you feel is right.

EDIT: Ohs nos! You cant edit the poll options!!! NO!!!
    I meant to put 4 options:
    •I didnt like any of em'
    •I like GENIII
    •I like GENIV
    •I like em' both

Last edited:

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • I liked gen2 it was a better mini game more focused around strategy than interior decoration and accesorising. Seriously the gen4 contests are like watching the E channel.

Le Creep!

~don't act blonde.
    Years
  • I don't mind any of them. They're both nice, the preference for features go to GEN IV, because I love it how you can 'dance'.

The R/S/E contests are good also, but not as many features, and I prefer the term 'Poffins' than 'Pokeblocks'.

Years
  • I certainly prefered it when the number of stars you got in the first round was based purely on known values - namely a pokemon's contest stats - not some seemingly random value based on how many feathers you attached to it...

And what's the point to having three judges? It just makes it even more random and completely non-strategic. Oh, so you've got an awesome contest moveset? Well, that pokemon just appealed to the right judge and got a whole lot more points than you so you lose. Greeeaaat...

So yeah, I'm gonna vote that I liked Gen III. =p

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Gen 3 contests all the way. I felt that there was less useless "fluff" and more strategy. Sure dressing up and dancing is fun the first two times, but afterwords, it's unnecessary and a time waster. I also hate how they don't let you mess up other Pokemon and lower their scores. That was the strategy element in Gen 3, but they dumbed it down and glamored it up for Gen IV. If contests come back in Gen V, bring back a slightly improved Gen 3 contest or just don't include them at all. Honestly, I'd rather just have a new mechanic at this point.

EDIT: And I loathe making Poffins. Give me back the Pokeblock machine. It was more fun and easier to use.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I personally prefer the Pokethlon to contests, however back when I first got Sapphire, I spent a lot of time doing contests. I really enjoyed them and like it's already been said, there was more strategy to it than gen IV contests. Dancing and dressing up? More like a dog show or a beauty pageant if you ask me. Dressing up a Steelix is a little weird too, I have to admit.

I liked gen2 it was a better mini game more focused around strategy than interior decoration and accesorising. Seriously the gen4 contests are like watching the E channel.

Gen II didn't have contests though. I assume you mean gen III, haha.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I do like how Gen IV is a bit more....unique each time. I tend to be minimalist to win in that, it only worked for Dragonite:

Round 1: 2 decorations max. soft-reset for a better theme otherwise
    Round 2: all movements within a second
    Round 3: 2 moves: Dragon Dance + Outrage

However, the 3 judges thing is annoying...for that, I prefer Gen III, as simple Quick Attack + Aerial Ace combo on Swellow worked for me...

Shadow Dawn

A New Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    I have to say, I liked GenIII the best. But then again, I like almost everything about GenIII compared to GenIV. I loved how GenIII focused all on the moves and the strategy, and you could mess up your opponents. GenIV feels like they fluffed it up and dumbed it down.

Unionhack

Yes Indeed
    Years
  • Maybe it was because I played a lot of smart contests (which meant a lot of jamming moves), but I can easily kiss the Gen 3 contests goodbye. Gen 4's contests are much more involving and much less infuriating.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i like the Pokethlon. but as contests go i like the third generation. i hated having to dress up my pokemon and then im terrible at the dance part.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    even though i just think all contests are unnecessary, the genIII ones are the only good(ish) ones. dressing up the pokemon? really?

Mewtwo152

nomnomnomnonmnom
    Years
  • Yeah dress-up and weak dancing-simulation aren't 'me'. Pretty much, for dress up, I pile random crap in the box, and dancing seems to be glitched so you can't win. Also, cooking Poffins was ...unfun. If I wanna cook, I'll play Cooking Mama.
    PokeBlocks had strategy, man. And the multiple judges of Gen IV hindered the appeals, the best part.

Years
  • I just miss the contests in general. It was something extra to do besides just collect badges. My girlfriend's 9yo daughter recently started playing and she's not too great at the battling, so I'd always sort of wished that they'd have different contest halls in each town along with the gyms for the people who aren't all about the battling, sorta' like in the anime series. More stuff to do is never a bad thing.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    In Gen III, I got all 21 ribbons on one Pokémon. All I need is the Blender Master and just a little bit of luck.

In Gen IV, I had to enter five different Pokémon to get five Master Rank ribbons. Even then, it's not guranteed I'll win because there are too many judges who are probably haxxed in the higher ranks, not to mention the various themes but not enough of the right Accessories. The dance was the only part I enjoyed because it is purely skill.

What I am hoping for in the fifth Gen is a mix of both. Bring back the Blend Master, the mono judge system and the combo mechanics. In short, more skill, less luck.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    They are both really good int heir own way. I do miss generation 3 contests though but I wish they would keep both. I'm curious as to what they'll do for generation 5 though.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I was never really a fan of contests, I might start playing them now. But, the newer contests look more fun..

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years
  • Gen 3 contests all the way. That was the strategy element in Gen 3, but they dumbed it down and glamored it up for Gen IV.
    EDIT: And I loathe making Poffins. Give me back the Pokeblock machine. It was more fun and easier to use.
    Exactly...I could nearly make master on the gen 3 contests without even using pokeblocks if I timed everything exactly right, but this new "contest" uggg...

sidenote: although the pokethon is cool ^_^

Years
  • I was never really a fan of Pokemon Contests. I did them a couple of times in my Sapphire, but I personally prefer the Pokethlon. I think its more fun.

Noltron200

Im not a robot.
    Years
  • The pokethlon in HGSS I really enjoy too.

One thing I do like about the new generation, though, is how much easier it is to make high level pokeblocs/poffins.
    GenIII and GenIV use essentially the same mechanics, but if you look it up, many of the berries now have alot less "Smooth" or "Feel" that factors into the limit of the number of poffins/blocs you can feed a pokemon.

Sources:
    https://www.upokecenter.com/games/rs/berries.php for GenIII
    https://www.upokecenter.com/games/dp/berries.php for GenIV

I still like genIII, dispite the more-difficult-to-make-perfect-pokeblocs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back