• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone like Ash's traveling companions this season?

shadowchick

The Reaper Empress trainer
Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    I personally think that Iris is stuck up and self absorbed, and Cilan just freaks me out.

What do you guys think?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I feel the same way. I don't mind Cilan so much, but Iris is incredibly annoying (especially when you compare her with Misty, May and Dawn). But hey, I'm still coming to terms with the fact that Misty and Brock are gone...

shadowchick

The Reaper Empress trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    I feel the same way. I don't mind Cilan so much, but Iris is incredibly annoying (especially when you compare her with Misty, May and Dawn). But hey, I'm still coming to terms with the fact that Misty and Brock are gone...

Uh.... Misty's been gone for 9 seasons.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Uh, YES, I like them. I adore Cilan, and I don't mind Iris, though "such a child" is fairly irritating.

Uh.... Misty's been gone for 9 seasons.
    Yes, we kind of noticed. She still has her fans.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Their alright, I guess. I kind of started to like them more and more as the episodes have gone on, but overall, I like them.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I've liked every main character this far and Iris and Cilan are quite interesting. I think Iris has a really nice design and I think she's pretty likeable but her dubbing is awful. TPCi really need to fit her catchphrases in better. Cilan is also pretty cool. I initially disliked the colouring of his eyes but I'm getting over it. Again, I find the dubbing terrible. He doesn't really contribute much and when he does, it's extremely cringy.

Basically, the characters are good but the script really sucks in the American dub. I can't speak Japanese so I can't compare it to the original.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I've liked every main character this far and Iris and Cilan are quite interesting. I think Iris has a really nice design and I think she's pretty likeable but her dubbing is awful. TPCi really need to fit her catchphrases in better. Cilan is also pretty cool. I initially disliked the colouring of his eyes but I'm getting over it. Again, I find the dubbing terrible. He doesn't really contribute much and when he does, it's extremely cringy.

Basically, the characters are good but the script really sucks in the American dub. I can't speak Japanese so I can't compare it to the original.
    ^ This. The dub in my opinion sucked the life out of the cast, especially Cilan.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I love them. They're one of the reasons why I'm enjoying BW so much. Though, I like them a lot more in the Japanese version. They have so much more personality to them. In the dub they're a bit dull, so its a shame. I like them a whole lot in the Japanese version, though. ~

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I think they're great.

Dent is a very interesting character, he seems to have such a very bright and colourful personality which I think characters like Brock and Tracey were missing. Plus hes pretty much good at everything. (Cooking, battling, science, fishing... and probably much more as Best Wishes moves forward) He has a cool design, but what he lacks are scleras. xD (Kinda like how Brock never opened his eyes. xD)

Iris has her ups and downs, but I honestly love her either way. She has an interesting personality, although it isn't much of what we haven't seen before. I find how she kinds Ice types scary, cute - since she is a dragon type trainer I don't find it as blown out of proportion as a lot of people have made out. (Even though a lot of people have related it to Misty not liking Bug types, it's just the writers recyling storylines. :\) Her design is pretty cute, I love how big and fluffy her hair looks, Kibago seems to enjoy it. (Although I do hope she actually cleans it.)

Overall I think they're great characters in general. There only downfall is probably just how they've been handled in the dub, like a few have already mentioned.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I think they're great.

Dent is a very interesting character, he seems to have such a very bright and colourful personality which I think characters like Brock and Tracey were missing. Plus hes pretty much good at everything. (Cooking, battling, science, fishing... and probably much more as Best Wishes moves forward) He has a cool design, but what he lacks are scleras. xD (Kinda like how Brock never opened his eyes. xD)

Iris has her ups and downs, but I honestly love her either way. She has an interesting personality, although it isn't much of what we haven't seen before. I find how she kinds Ice types scary, cute - since she is a dragon type trainer I don't find it as blown out of proportion as a lot of people have made out. (Even though a lot of people have related it to Misty not liking Bug types, it's just the writers recyling storylines. :\) Her design is pretty cute, I love how big and fluffy her hair looks, Kibago seems to enjoy it. (Although I do hope she actually cleans it.)

Overall I think they're great characters in general. There only downfall is probably just how they've been handled in the dub, like a few have already mentioned.

Mew gave good points on what I was going to give. I like the new Trio; they are so far my favorite out of all the trio that Ash has went with. Iris and Dento are getting more episode being focused on them; getting us to know more and more about the character. The other trio didn't have much on this. Each character are getting an equal amount of episodes well, Iris and Dento that is. I don't remember Max, or Brock getting a lot of episodes like how these two are and they are very interesting characters indeed.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Cilan: I like him just as much as Brock due to both knowing a lot about Pokemon. What I don't like about him is that he sometimes speaks too much about "flavor."

Iris: I find it funny that she criticizes Ash most of the time by calling him a kid, even though Ash had been on his journey for a long time (it may be true).

Years
  • Iris always says "What a Kid" at Ash (watch the video on AdvancedK47's profile)

Cilan often talks about food.

But I love their design.

~Touko

Haxorus Breeder ~ #1 Axew Fan
    Years
  • I think Cilan's cool but I absolutely hate Iris. I also noticed both of them say the same things repeatedly every episode...Iris always is annoying and calls Ash a kid and Cilan's always saying battles and pokemon have unique flavors and are delicious. ^^' I find it just a tad odd. :p

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Right now I really haven't got much of an impression to form a full opinion on either of them. As of now I like Cilan character a lot more then Iris.

Between the two there are very few episodes that are centric toward them, one being postponed BW026.

From what I have gathered Iris is quite annoying and things Ash is ignorant on many things. She aspires to be a Dragon Master which seems to be interesting. Her jungle girl character seems interesting as well, and she can make medicine to boot. She seems to contradict herself, because she can't even control her own pokemon Excadrill and Emolga very well, but yet berates Ash none the less. Cilan seems like a jack of all trades. He cooks, he a Connoisseur, he fishes. Who knows how much other things he can do. Cilan seems a bit feminine, but I like him none the less. His personality just seems so unique there is just something about him that seems likeable.

Long story short Iris is annoying, and Cilan seems interesting and multi talented.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    I used to kind of get annoyed with Iris, only cuz of her what a kid thing she has with Ash. He's gone through so much and battled tons, far more than she'd even think was around, evil teams/Pokemon whatever. I hope maybe, at the end of this series he talks about some of his past adventures with them and they get star struck with himXD As of now, I think I'm really starting to like her and I don't mind her English dubbed voice either.

Dento, I've liked him from the start, the fact that he was a fan of Ash in the very first episode is awesome! I also like how he's able to do much, it'd be funny if they kept adding onto it. I really like his personality too, he can be nice to evil at times, its fun. I hope some day we meet his parents.

Pokemon Ranger Lisa

Without a voice...
    Years
  • I like Cilan a lot more than Brock because Brock never did much, but I miss Dawn since I still like her more than Iris. Iris is okay but i think she's kind of weird. maybe that's the wrong word, but oh well. ^^;

Back