• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone think IV's should be changed/removed?

Years
    So I decided to make this thread because I recently saw a debate on rather PokeGening is wrong or not though I feel like that PokeGening is not wrong as long as the pokemon is legal. The reason for not hating PokeGen is because IV breeding (and SR for legends) is a total nightmare even with the things that make it easier. Some may argue that gives each pokemon variety but one Natures and EVs do the same thing and 2 a majority of Competitive Pokemon are generally perfect IVs unless they run Hidden Power which could have its mechanics changed. In my opinion IVs are a wall that seperates casuals from competitive players and nothing else. IVs are also the ONLY reason why PokeGen is a thing because it eats up so much of your time and a majority of people are not willing to spend 10+ hours making a team that they will change in a few weeks or have a busy life that doesn't allow them to spend so much time on their games. I have an idea for what Game Freak could do which is to Auto-Max the IVs like they do with the levels. (or they could just remove it but I don't see that happening)

tl;dr: IMO Perfect IVs take forever to get and divide the community and Game Freak should do something about it.

Anyways, I would like to know what you guys think about IVs and if they should stay, change or be removed. Sorry if this thread seems like a rant but I just needed to get it off my chest.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    For a start lets clarify one point, perfect IV's are not necessary, in the slightest, but actually happen quite frequently if you have good breeding pokemon.

5IV's are easy to get but just take time and effort and are all you need for competitive pokemon.

This being said however I think in general the IV system is fine but there are aspects of it which are not. Hidden abilities tied to IV's are massive pain to work for and the whole breeding system relies generally on people having/getting a 5/6IV ditto which ARE usually hacked in the first place.

So keep the IV system but change how the breeding system works so we dont need a hacked ditto or amazing luck to get a competitive pokemon. You can breed without a 6IV ditto but it does take considerably more time and is much more hit and miss.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I enjoy working towards it. I feel somewhat accomplished seeing the effort pay off.

Years
    I feel like IVs are a struggle, so I wouldn't mind seeing a significant change to the IV system or if it were to be dropped entirely.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It's better if IV should be obsolete, you can't expect some perfect pokemon instantly with the desire stats if IV doesn't seems to be in your liking so I like it to rework or obsolete

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
    I don't think it should be changed. In truth, IVs don't make a major difference to a Pokémon, indeed it makes no difference to players who don't care about it.

But for those of us who don't mind spending some extra time perfecting a Pokémon to its nitty-gritty best, the option should be available.

Back