• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Does anyone use the Starter's signature moves?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    First off, there seems to be a pretty huge disparity between the three gen 6 starters and their signature moves. (will be using their first form names because I'm more familiar, but obviously the moves are learned in later evolutions) Froakie gets TWO signature moves (even though Water Shuriken is just terrible) but Mat Block is pretty great (he can protect the whole party? That's fantastic!) Even Chespin's Spiky Shield is pretty great (protect himself and simultaneously damage anyone that tries to directly attack) but Fennekin's Mystical Fire just seems awful. It's relatively low powered, and while it does lower the target's Sp Attack 100% of the time, it doesn't harshly lower it, so it's just all around not that great. Does anyone use it? It seems a shame to have a signature move when it doesn't get used. If you do use them, how are they? Are the bad signature moves deceptively useful? Are the seemingly good moves actually not as useful as they sound on paper?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm glad they got signature moves like the Hoenn, and Unova starters before them...though sadly they'll proably no longer be so in due time like with the other two sets mentioned...
    I perfer Chesnaughts signature move over the other two. However a multi hit version of aqua jet is nice, as is the more powerful fire version of snarl.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Chestnaught's is actually really good in my opinion, but water shurikan not only uses the Attack stat and not the sp.atck stat, but it does like 45 max, it's just not good...

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I'm glad they got signature moves like the Hoenn, and Unova starters before them...though sadly they'll proably no longer be so in due time like with the other two sets mentioned...
    I perfer Chesnaughts signature move over the other two. However a multi hit version of aqua jet is nice, as is the more powerful fire version of snarl.

I believe Emboar was the only one of the Unova starters to get a signature move, which made me sad. xD

I used Chesnaught's Spiky Shield for a while, but then replaced it with another attack later on. It's the best out of the three moves IMO.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I don't, but I heard a physical Freninja with Kings rock and water shuriken work well.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mystical Fire isn't such a bad move. It inflicts damage to your opponent, and lowers their Special Attack stat by one stage. This could be very useful when you're going up against a special-sweeper. Mat Block and Spiky Shield aren't bad either. They're like Protect, but with additional effects. The former protects the user and all its allies, and the latter damages your opponent when they execute contact-making attacks. Haven't used any of these moves, personally, but I definitely wouldn't mind using them. (:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Chestnaught definitely got the better signature move of the three in my opinion. Not only is it incredibly useful, especially against Pokémon like Aegislash and those with physical contact priority moves which are fairly common now competitively, but it looks cool too!

Mystical Fire is great for lowering the Sp. Attack power of your opponent, but its base power is unfortunately low. If it had at least a power of 80, then we'd be talking. I actually had Mystical Fire on my Delphox for a little bit, but got rid of it for Flamethrower.

Mat Block is pretty neat, but really only useful for double or triple battles, both of which aren't as common as single battle matches. I try to pretend GameFreak was joking when they made Water Shuriken a signature move for Greninja, a stage three Pokémon.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I believe Emboar was the only one of the Unova starters to get a signature move, which made me sad. xD

I used Chesnaught's Spiky Shield for a while, but then replaced it with another attack later on. It's the best out of the three moves IMO.
    I considered Razor Shell to be Oshawott's special move, and Leaf Tornado to be Snivy's, even if some other pokemon had it xD Especially Razor Shell for Oshawott...

I hope in a future generation they make Mystical Fire more powerful.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used Water Shuriken as a filler move on my Greninja, but only to weaken wild Pokemon or to finish off weakened opponents. It got replaced by Waterfall, then Grass Knot.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • Mat block is great in doubles. Mystical fire is only good when used on a special sweeper, Spiky shield is good, but Water Shuriken isn't very usable. It would be better if it was special, not physical.

Years
  • I've kept mystical fire on my Finnick and he seems perfectly capable of KOing pokes with no issues. yes I'm a bit upset at how low the damage is, should have made it more powerful if you ask me but as it is it's signature move I felt obliged to keep it ^^

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • Mat Block is an awesome move. It's great in Double Battles, the only format used in tournaments. It allows all sorts of combinations. I love it!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't, but I heard a physical Freninja with Kings rock and water shuriken work well.
    Ya I abused the hell out of that combo XD

Dark Pulse and King's Rock would be better I think

With Water Shuriken you have up to 5 chances of causing your opponent to flinch.

Mystical Fire isn't such a bad move. It inflicts damage to your opponent, and lowers their Special Attack stat by one stage. This could be very useful when you're going up against a special-sweeper. Mat Block and Spiky Shield aren't bad either. They're like Protect, but with additional effects. The former protects the user and all its allies, and the latter damages your opponent when they execute contact-making attacks. Haven't used any of these moves, personally, but I definitely wouldn't mind using them. (:

Mat Block has the unfortunate side effect of not being a Priority move so its based on Greninja's Speed. If a Priority move is used they always get through Mat Block so its not a very ideal move to use unless you aren't going against Priority attackers.

Personally I used Water Shuriken as my Greninja's main attack through the game. With it I nearly OHKO'd a lot of the Pokemon I ended up facing. (though that's mostly because I doubled up with Power Up Punch to increase my attack so when I did get to use Water Shuriken it was boosted to a very high damage XD)

It having Priority is awesome, even for it being a low damage attack that hits up to 5 times. Mystic Fire is in the same boat as Struggle Bug from Gen 5. It has its uses, but we're better off using moves that just lower the stat on a whim and cause more damage.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    I like their signature moves, depending on the type of battle, they can be useful.

Last edited:
    Back