• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does HGSS Surpass Platinum?

What's the better game?

• Total voters

Krizor

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    In my opinion, not at all.

The absence of he Vs. Seeker and the low leveled Pokemon in the wild and with trainers makes training way more difficult than it needs to be. I also don't like the PC Box system or the Pokedex, they should have just made them as they were in DPPt. The Safari Zone is extremely annoying due to all the waiting you have to do, and the amount of pointless phone calls you get are just as annoying as they were in GSC. They really should have added an option to delete numbers.

HGSS are good games, but not better than Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Platinum is better. I mean comparing the two is really dumb in my opinion. I hated most of everything on HG & and they good thing I could say about SS is that it has Lugia on its cover. Platinum for the WIN.

Koh

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2011
    Well, HGSS offer more bonus content than Platinum, and as said before, has multiple regions in it, and seems to run a little faster. I'll be honest, when I first got to Kanto, I thought we'd also be given the option to go to the Sevii Islands, but we weren't. Would've been more awesome if we had though.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    The battle against Red wasn't challenging at all i killed all of his pokemon in one move except Snorlax and Venusaur with my lv 100 Pikachu that i migrated from emerald
    If Red wasn't challenging, why did you have to migrate a level 100 Pokemon just to beat him?

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Platinum was the most balanced and most challenging of all the Pokemon games. It had a better storyline than HGSS, a more threatening evil team, better AI and movesets, and more minor things such as the VS Seeker. HGSS had horrendous level issues (especially when grinding was required) and gym leaders had pretty crappy AI, not to mention laughable Pokemon and movesets.

HGSS were great games, don't get me wrong, and they're much better than GSC, but for someone who likes more challenge and storyline in games, Platinum wins for me.

Elkoid

Cinnabar Child
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    I have about 200+ more hours on my SS save file, as opposed to my Platinum save. Needless to say, I hold HGSS much closer to my heart. They really went all out with the smaller details in these games. ^^ Having the Pokemon follow you, the Pokewalker, the dialouge, the sprites; I love it all!

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2011
    I love both games and regions, but Johto and its Pokémon are the best of franchise for me.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I've played both games, and I'm going to have to say Pokemon HG/SS, Platinum just wasn't good enough to be better than HG/SS.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    HeartGold and SoulSilver are destroying Platinum, as I expected, but I'm glad to see at least I'm not the only one who preferred Platinum.

I recent played through both games again, and I think I prefer Platinum even moreso to HeartGold and SoulSilver than I did before. Again, the extremely better variety within the PokeDex, the deep and amazing plot, the much more varied and larger region, the deeper and more likable characters, and the game's significantly higher difficult blow me away.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    HG/SS ftw everytime, remakes of my 1st pokemon game, so its probably the nostalgia thats doing it for me. Seeing as Platinum has a far better plot and the level caps are so much more challenging, both great games though! :)

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Having played HG: It's boring! It's like, unnecessary at times. Kanto is just there and empty, nothing to do. I admit, the graphics are good, but game-wise, story-wise, it lacks. Walking Pokemon isn't all that, I'm on my bike most of the time. No Vs. Seeker ARGH! Mt. Silver (or what is it?) just doesn't cut it. The thing in RSE was good too. It's a nice game, but I hate Johto, and badly miss my Diamond and Platinum which I lost. They were my first owned games so I'm partial to them as most are partial to Johto. In all honesty though, Platinum is way deeper and better.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    The thing that broke SS for me, and maks me prefer platinum, is in general challengers in the game were too weak, same with wild pokemon. Team Rocket was weak as well, and that left me dissapointed, but it didn't affect my overall view of the game. I am finding it hard to raise pokemon in SS, such as in wild battles, when compared to Platinum too. If it weren't for this then I would prefer SS hands down seeing as I already prefer Pearl to Platinum anyways (though gap isn't too large I guess). Another point that messed up the game a little was the loose-plot once you arrived in Kanto. If it had been a strict plot to follow, then perhaps my experiences with the later half of SS would have been better than it was.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Silver and Gold were my favorite Pokemon games of all time, until the remakes were made. Now Soul Silver is my favorite. I don't think anything beats Johto - it has so much more land to explore and I think the 2nd generation of Pokemon is constructed well, without looking last minute and forced like some newer ones... I mean an Ice Cream Cone Pokemon? o_o Really? xD

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Having played HG: It's boring! It's like, unnecessary at times. Kanto is just there and empty, nothing to do. I admit, the graphics are good, but game-wise, story-wise, it lacks. Walking Pokemon isn't all that, I'm on my bike most of the time. No Vs. Seeker ARGH! Mt. Silver (or what is it?) just doesn't cut it. The thing in RSE was good too. It's a nice game, but I hate Johto, and badly miss my Diamond and Platinum which I lost. They were my first owned games so I'm partial to them as most are partial to Johto. In all honesty though, Platinum is way deeper and better.
    I fully agree. You know, I tried to get myself to like SS more than Platinum....It just isn't happening, yet. I'll admit I still have a lot that I could do, it's just that I haven't gotten to it yet because I got bored earlier on. I'm going to try to play SS more and maybe get HG before black and white come out. We'll see how things turn out.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Maybe being an older fan makes me bitter towards all the newer games. Everything looks foreign to me and the Pokemon all look weird. I was in my prime back with R/B/Y and G/S. I had Pearl for awhile and found it decent, but just couldn't get into it because everything I loved and remembered from my childhood was taken away. I do wish for a more challenging game, though. Maybe White and Black will do that for me. :]

Jameska

'Cuz God doesn't take sides.
    Years
    Platinum, what's done is done, and G/S were done a long time ago, but people can't let go of things, and Nintendo felt the need to comply, so they re-made it with a function to import Pokemon. Why not just import from GBC? I know they would need some extreme hardware to do so, but I'm sure it's easier and more fulfilling than re making a game, wasting time and resources.

Back